Detailing a boat question

68thoroughbred

Established Member
I'm about to detail a 21' celebrity and i was wondering what products to use. I see meguiars has a gelcoat line, and i want to know if it's truly necessary to get that or if i should just use my poorboys and porter cable. I did a search, and in one thread someone suggested gelcoat specific pads for the porter cable. Are they really necessary and if so, where do i find them?

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
It's very important to select the right pads and products when addressing a gel-coat surface. Gel-coat surfaces are more pourous and tend to have oxidation problems. This is why you should use Gel Coat products (more aggressive when addressing Oxidation becasue the polishes are heavier cutters). You can use a foam pad (the same that you would use on a clear coat) but I would reccomend that you go with a Heavier Cutting Foam Pad like the Orang pad offered by lake Country; this pad is basically a aggressive Polishing pad...but not quite as aggressive as a Compounding pad (this pad has 60 Pores per Inch).
Anyhow, I would take a look at this link....it details how to care for a gel coat finish...
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/classic-motoring/Bow2SternGuide-P3.pdf

Jim D.

Established Member
A lot depends on the age of the boat and the condition of the gelcoat -- unless you're dealing with a painted boat.

Generally a one-step carnauba cleaner wax will work fine assuming the gelcoat's in good shape, but if you've got special issues (such as oxidation), best you stick with marine products that are specifically formulated for gelcoats.

Oceanedge

#488 of 4,055
Established Member
Agree with ya Jim! A One-Step Carnuba Wax will work on a boat if it has no oxidation problems to tend with. And this can be applied with the same pad that you use on a clearcoat (a non-abrasive pad). But if you have Oxidation, step up to Marine Compounds and/or Polishes (Depending on the severity of the problems).

Users who are viewing this thread