Detailer damaged my wheel.

Brucealeg

Established Member
My sister was having her car detailed today and asked if I wanted mine done. I let them do it and now I have a damaged wheel. It seems the detailers son put cleaner on the wheel to clean the chrome and let it sit in the sun to long. So now the chrome is stained.

He put in writing that he owes me an 03 Cobra Wheel. What he wants to do is take the wheel off the car and see if he can get it dipped in chrome to fix it. We don't really have many professional places to do that locally. I am concerned that he'll have a shoddy job done and then the wheel will need mounted and balanced again.

I am not looking to stick it to him as he's been very honest on wanting to take care of it.

However, I don't just want to let him run off with a wheel and tire. I would feel much better getting quotes from reliable business and paid for the damage. Then I could drop the car off at a reliable shop on my schedule and not someone else. If someone can fix it and then put it back on professionally, then great. If not, then it'll have to be replaced. I don't know how much they are, but he put it in writing.

What would you guys do? I think what I am asking for is reasonable.

Bruce

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Don't feel sorry for the detailer.
Don't let him just dip chrome it.
Don't let him get away with it.
Don't give him a break-Its his job to know.

DO make him replace the cost of a wheel!

Brucealeg

Established Member
I was so pissed I didn't say much. I was smart enough to make him put wheel replacement in writing.

Bruce

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
have you tried any type of chrome polish to get the stain out?

If he is going to do anything, either buy 1 new wheel and send him the bill. Or have him order you a new wheel. I wouldnt dip it. It would probably cost relatively the same anyway

Dave

03RedCobra

Established Member
I would have him pay for a BRAND NEW one !!! Easiest thing to do is just go to a Ford Dealer, get a quote for the new wheel, then take it back to the detailer, then go back to the Ford and have them take care of it. You can thru the internet or a discount tire place to probably get it a little cheaper, but, hey, you're not paying for it.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by Brucealeg
How much do the stock wheels go for about?

Bruce

well all for chromes are waht $625 for the set?

So 625/4 = $156 but thats just my reasoning, one wheel is probably pretty expensive. Call the dealer.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Ive checked on having wheels dipped. To have a REPUTABLE and PROVEN chroming shop do it will cost about the same as the 240$ quoted above, maybe a little more. Id go for the stock replacment.

Users who are viewing this thread