Detail Clay

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
I was just curious how many of you 1) Know what it is, 2) Use/trust it, and 3) Do it your self, or pay a detailer to do it.

I ask because I work at a carwash/ detail center and a lot of people come in and have never heard of it. I am assuming that more people here will know what it is considering we are all car nuts.

Personally I have had it done, both my parents cars have been clayed and the stuff works really well.

One more question if you guys have paid a detail place to do it how much did they charge you, I had a costumer ask me how our prices compare to others and was not really sure.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I do it myself and have been for several years. Why waste your money paying someone else unless you just don't have the time?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I detail cars and I use the shit out of it. It's great for pulling shit off the paint. It's great stuff.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
I do my truck every 3 months using the Mothers Clay Bar kit.
It's great stuff. Normally the Black looks ok although you can feel surface contamination.
The Silver always shows any dirt specks especially around the wheel arches so I do it before a major wax session.

It keeps the truck looking like this :thumbsup:

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

Lightning Steve

Established Member
When I first heard about this I thought it was nothing but a load of crap. Then I tried it,WOW. That stuff works like majic, now a compleate convert.
I always have little spots of tree sap and nothing would take them off, used the claybar and they came off with zero effort. Have now idea what a shop would charge but it is a slow, long prossess so I would think a fair bit. Easy to do yourself though.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I never knew about it until I started working as a detailer at a dealership. Good stuff as long as you keep it wet and don't let the bar or paint dry out. I'm not the best detailer since I don't have the patience for it but this stuff definitely works well if you want to take the extra effort to make the paint perfect.

Venom_Cobra

Venom_Cobra
Established Member
saw my friend use it on his car and liked how well it worked on mine and tried it. Use ut before car shows and just when ever I am waxing the car. I would do it myself rather than have someone else do it and charge me fore it.

VFOERSTER

Established Member
I used it once it is time consuming though and I do work at a dealership otherwise I would have never known...

magRT496

Established Member
im a big fan of it on one end because it makes your paint so smooth and slick. soft as a babys behind and will take almost anything off of your clearcoat. however, if used incorrectly it will cause alot of swirling in your paint.

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
So here is my next question, seeing as it takes a while to do the whole car, and lets say that you have never used it before and the car really needs it, would you pay about 145ish for a detailer to wash, clay, and wax the car in about 45-55 minutes??

Bootie

Established Member
SVT F15O said:
I use it too, I found it works best after you drop it on the ground a few times.....
It definetly helps it grip the surface. :lol:

I can usually clay my truck in about 30-45 minutes. It's very easy to use if your a beginner. Just make sure you keep plenty of lubrication on the paint.

Tang

SLITHR 2
Established Member
$145ish to have a car washed, clayed and waxed in about an hour? Something tells me that's not a hand wash job = road film still left on the car after washing it. I guess you could do all that stuff by hand in under an hour if there's like 4 people working on the car at the same time.

Then again, maybe you're not as picky as me and don't care if your car isn't hand washed. But yeah, back to the point. If you work a lot and don't want to use what free time you have cleaning the car and you'd rather be driving it, then yeah I suppose it might be worth it (to you) to pay somebody $150ish to have it detailed AND clayed.

SVT F15O said:
I use it too, I found it works best after you drop it on the ground a few times.....

The results are even more amazing if your car is parked on gravel while claying the car :banana: And since it removes crud from the paint so well, skip the washing the car part and leave that up to the claybar to take all that dirt off too :D :loser:

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
Tang said:
$145ish to have a car washed, clayed and waxed in about an hour? Something tells me that's not a hand wash job = road film still left on the car after washing it. I guess you could do all that stuff by hand in under an hour if there's like 4 people working on the car at the same time.

Then again, maybe you're not as picky as me and don't care if your car isn't hand washed. But yeah, back to the point. If you work a lot and don't want to use what free time you have cleaning the car and you'd rather be driving it, then yeah I suppose it might be worth it (to you) to pay somebody $150ish to have it detailed AND clayed.

The results are even more amazing if your car is parked on gravel while claying the car :banana: And since it removes crud from the paint so well, skip the washing the car part and leave that up to the claybar to take all that dirt off too :D :loser:

Yeah, its a machine wash, but they clay is all done by hand and so is the wax. The majority of people who come into my place are drivng their daily drivers anyway and just want them clean. I look at it as convient too. No appointment needed. I don't know just thought i would get some car guys opinions on the subject.

Tang

SLITHR 2
Established Member
Yeah it would be convenient for you. Don't even have to technically drive there after work.

Just don't piss off the people that do it, or they might "accidentally" drop the clay a time or two and keep using the same piece :bash:

But if you have a black car and you're super worried about them adding more paint swirls than making them less noticeable, you might want to consider at least trying to do it yourself once. Is that $145ish estimate with an employee discount or do you not get any sort of discount for anything besides your basic car wash?

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I've used them before when needed. Time consuming but it works well. Just a couple days ago I used it to remove about 80% of a huge scuff someone put on the door of my Explorer.

We have a couple local guys that give awesome deals on deatiling work promoting thier line of products. $60 gets you a hand wash, clay the paint, and buff with swirl cutter and polish.

Users who are viewing this thread