Desperately need tire help with a 2010 Shelby Vert

Hurley711

Established Member
Hey everyone I'm finding choosing tires to be quite the conundrum for my 10 Shelby. I'm not sold on keeping the staggered stock setup either. I wouldn't mind being able to rotate as well. I've been researching for a few days and it's difficult to understand what setups do and don't work with so many opinions out there. So my question is this since I believe it will work. The only option I see for 285/40-18 AS on Tirerack is Michelin but is on backorder.

275/40-18 all the way around on stock 10 convertible wheels. I believe they shall fit and I don't care about dropping 10mm in the back. Will there be any rubbing issues up front? How will it affect steering as I have read some opinions that Ford stock suspension was designed for the 255/285 setup. Will the cars stance be OK with 275s all the way around, no rake any which way frontward or backward? Lastly how badly will it alter my speedo?

Second option which again I'm not opposed to is keeping the 255/45-18s in front and going 275/40-18s out back. Reason for this is I drive in winter but not snow, and really like the price and reviews on the BFG G Force comp 2 A/S. They make them in 255 and 275 but not stock 285 out back. I wouldn't mind the Continental extremecontact DWS as alot of Shelby guys seem to like both the DW and DWS but again they only make the DW in 285 but they do have the DWS in 275/40-18. So the question with this setup would be again the speedo being altered and more importantly how badly would it affect the rack/stance of the car? I don't want my Shelby sagging in the back vs the front.

Thanks for any help or input everyone.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
BFG A/S are good tires, as are the Continental's as you mentioned. It would be a toss up for me between the BFG A/S and the DWS. I would take the DW over both of them, and as long as you don't drive in really cold temps (below freezing) you'll be fine. I would go with whatever fits in your budget the best. All three are very good.

The 275/40 on all four corners will fit just fine and provide you with better handling if you're into that at all. A 275 DW (and DWS, BFG for that matter) will hook better than a 285 Goodyear so don't worry about losing that 10mm of tread. Most of that is bulge anyways on the factory wheels.

Hurley711

Established Member
Definitely going to need a tire that can handle sub freezing temps here in Philadelphia. When snow hits the car will get covered but as soon as it melts and the salt is off the road I'm going to drive the car. Work is a 3 mile round trip. Can't be away from the car all winter especially since I just bought it! The stock tire size selection is very limited it seems. And the BFG AS are sitting at a great price right now on Tirerack with awesome reviews. I can wrap the entire car in 275s for under $800 mounted. Just want to be certain 275/40-18 will work up front with no rubbing. Thanks for your input

Mainn

Established Member
275/40/18 Continental's on all four corners on my car (mind you, it's a 2008). No issues. I'm yet to push the car hard since mounting them though, so I'm not sure what it's like traction or handling wise.

You can check for yourself how much the speedometer will change - there's a bunch of calculators on the net. Find the stock revs-per-mile value for the Goodyears and the revs-per-mile value for the new tires, and you should be able to figure it out. :)

Hurley711

Established Member
I am getting the car professionally tuned in the near future ao if what I've read ia correct they can properly tune the speedo to match the 275s at that time?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Yea, all you need is to find the revolutions per mile for whatever tire you are running

Hurley711

Established Member
Ok. I'm looking at 3 tires now the BFG Comp 2 A/S. The Continental Extremecontact DWS and the newer DWS06. I'm debating between the staggered 255 up front and 275 out back since all 3 carry those sizes. If I go that route it looks like the BFG tread pattern would allow me to rotate the fronts side to side and the backs as well. Also looking at a tire height calculator it shows the 255s would be 27.04 tall and the 275s 26.66 vs the stock 285s at 26.98. Would the car be raked backwards? Or should I just go 275s all the way around. Such a tough decision .

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Ok. I'm looking at 3 tires now the BFG Comp 2 A/S. The Continental Extremecontact DWS and the newer DWS06. I'm debating between the staggered 255 up front and 275 out back since all 3 carry those sizes. If I go that route it looks like the BFG tread pattern would allow me to rotate the fronts side to side and the backs as well. Also looking at a tire height calculator it shows the 255s would be 27.04 tall and the 275s 26.66 vs the stock 285s at 26.98. Would the car be raked backwards? Or should I just go 275s all the way around. Such a tough decision .

The way to go is 275's all around for your case, if you are looking for 275's on the rear anyway. My car feels much better after I moved to 275's on the front. (Toyo T1 275/40/18). I ran for a while with 27in on the front and 26.66in on the back, and did not notice and visual difference or otherwise.

Hurley711

Established Member
The way to go is 275's all around for your case, if you are looking for 275's on the rear anyway. My car feels much better after I moved to 275's on the front. (Toyo T1 275/40/18). I ran for a while with 27in on the front and 26.66in on the back, and did not notice and visual difference or otherwise.

Awesome. Thanks everyone for such fast responses. What a great forum. Looks like BFG 275/40-18 all the way around. Not bad at $179.30 a tire either. Reviews are banging and as good as the reviews are on both Continental tires it seems like you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Users who are viewing this thread