Describe TOB squeal

BLK_03

Established Member
My TOB squeal occured when I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor. 1/2 way down and it would start to squeal, all the way down in would squeal louder. As soon as you let off the pedal, squeal goes away.

Others I have read have had exactly the opposite with the squeal occuring with the clutch pedal released.

My TOB was the ONLY thing replaced and the squeal is no longer...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I am noticing some noise lately and not sure what its from, its a sclatter (squeal, rattle clatter) that I can pinpoint. Its very hard to hear over the exhaust and I am tempted to bolt stock exhaust back on so I can hear :). It seems to occure at 300-4000rpm or so, its almost like a bussing noise do to vibration/resonance from exhaust at higher RPM but there is a slight squeal to it as well....hmm.

Last edited:

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
I read someplace that it sounds like belts slipping. Should be pretty obvious.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by jjksutton
I read someplace that it sounds like belts slipping. Should be pretty obvious.
Actually at times it does sound like that but I have no belt dust or anything. I suppose since I have a KB the chances of getting it covered under warranty are slim to none :(

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Larry,
U can also feel it. Its a very slight & light weird vibration when its making a noise.

More noticeable at a red light....well for me that is. The noice is has a squekyness <sp> to it.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Larry,
U can also feel it. Its a very slight & light weird vibration when its making a noise.

More noticeable at a red light....well for me that is. The noice is has a squekyness <sp> to it.
Under normal driving condistions I rarely hear it, only when I am getting a little heavy on the pedel. Shifts fine, dont feel any strange vibration, its always when I am in gear and accelerating or after a burst right when I let off the gas.

BLK_03

Established Member
Yeah, the first few times I heard mine, it was faint and the exhaust seemed to drown out the noise. I too considered pulling the catback to better hear the noise.

But thanks to the board and previous posts:lol: , I was pretty sure that given my symptoms it was a bad TOB so catback stayed on.

BTW, my TOB noise would only happen at idle (unless I just couldn't hear it at any other RPM 'cause of the exhaust).

It was also inconsistent. Sometimes it would do it and sometimes it would not. It sounded just like a slipping belt.

Try pressing the clutch in (or releasing) when you hear the noise to see if it dissapears....

Good luck :)

BLK_03

Established Member
Stock

It happened at 4,500 miles. If it happens again (which it has to some folks) I will upgrade to a better part.

It was under warranty and was free so I gave Ford first crack at it.

However, with a KB, warranty is not an issue, I would probably upgrade the TOB and get a good look at the clutch assembly and see if it needed replacing since it is accesible.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by BLK_03
Stock

It happened at 4,500 miles. If it happens again (which it has to some folks) I will upgrade to a better part.

It was under warranty and was free so I gave Ford first crack at it.

However, with a KB, warranty is not an issue, I would probably upgrade the TOB and get a good look at the clutch assembly and see if it needed replacing since it is accesible.
Well, thats one thing that kind of frustrates me, KB or no KB power levels have no bearing on a TOB failure so I dont see why I would get a warranty claim for it denied. At the same time however its apparent that fords TOB just plain suck and their clutches arent much better. With all of that in mind I was thinking of just tossing a Spec clutch and composit TOB in.

BLK_03

Established Member
Yeah, I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to try to get the warrany work done under the premise that your mods have not caused the damage. If they agree to do the work, you could always order the parts yourself and ask Ford to install the upgraded parts.

Not to sure how much luck you will have with any of that as we all know how some dealers can be.

Best of luck to you man.:beer:

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Originally posted by BLK_03
My TOB squeal occured when I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor. 1/2 way down and it would start to squeal, all the way down in would squeal louder. As soon as you let off the pedal, squeal goes away.

That is exactly what mine does. just not for the dealer:gt:

BLK_03

Established Member
03cobrablack,
Mine would only do it intermitently until I got pissed enough to bring it in. I pulled into the service check in where three guys at desks will take your complaint and enter it into a computer. As soon as I pull in, I press the clutch in to come to a stop and ER, ER, ER, ER TOB screams louder than ever. I kept the clutch in for like 30 seconds just to hammer home the point that the TOB was toast. The guys were staring at me and I was looking right back with a big smile as if to say, "try pulling that can not duplicate noise bs with me now!!!":rollseyes

P.S. For anyone trying to get this repaired under warranty and are having trouble getting the noise to duplicate itself: SLOWLY press the clutch in. Take the service guy for a ride and this will sometimes induce the noise and may get you the warranty claim you are after.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Mine sounded like a cricket chirping and occurred when The engine was in neutral. When I would depress the clutch it would stop. This was on my '92 LX. Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, etc.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Thanks BLK_03 I will try that I hve an oppointment Tue with the service mgr. I am going to "practice " getting it to make noise this weekend . As sad as that sounds.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I had it on my '01 GT and it did it with the clutch pedal pressed in. If I let the clutch out fast in neutral, some times I could get it to quit. It usually had to be driven about 20 minutes and then it would squeel BAD. Embarrassing BAD! It did sound like a belt slipping and metal to metal rub combined. Never did it with clutch pedal all the way out, even at its worst. Had it replaced and was needing it again when I traded it for the '03.

Users who are viewing this thread