depression

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
how do you deal with it? this shit hurts and my medication isnt working. ****!

if you dont suffer from it be glad because it sucks. those who do know what im talking about. its more than just having a bad day. its like having many shitty days LOL.

just felt like sharing. thanks. would buying a ford help? ROFL.

203Cree

Established Member
Therapy man. Medication is a good start, but it's not going to do much good until you figure out what's causing the problem and start working on fixing that as well.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
buying a ford is the LAST thing a depressed person should do!

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
Therapy man. Medication is a good start, but it's not going to do much good until you figure out what's causing the problem and start working on fixing that as well.

i know man. i went to a psychologist after i was hospitalized for not being able to sleep. i spoke to her a few times and along with my medication (lexapro) i started feeling better. it just comes out of nowhere and takes the ****ing life out of me.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
from watching my friend go thru this your going to have to go to a psych more than a few times. find a support group or someone you can talk to when it hits you. good luck man

txyaloo

Established Member
If your meds aren't working, you need to tell your doctor and ask to be put on something different. Different depression meds work for different people. Some people react well to SSRIs, others do well with medications that target dopamine and norepinephrine, and others may need to be on multiple medications. Don't stop until you've found one that works for you. If your doctor doesn't want to go down that road, then find a different doctor.

I would find a psychiatrist versus a psychologist. AFAIK, only two states grant psychologists prescription privileges, and NJ isn't one. A psychiatrist would be able to better manage your depression with therapy and medication.

203Cree

Established Member
If your meds aren't working, you need to tell your doctor and ask to be put on something different. Different depression meds work for different people. Some people react well to SSRIs, others do well with medications that target dopamine and norepinephrine, and others may need to be on multiple medications. Don't stop until you've found one that works for you. If your doctor doesn't want to go down that road, then find a different doctor.

I would find a psychiatrist versus a psychologist. AFAIK, only two states grant psychologists prescription privileges, and NJ isn't one. A psychiatrist would be able to better manage your depression with therapy and medication.

Except 99% of psychiatrists do nothing but write scripts. Best to have both.

Lexapro works quite well for me and my PTSD, but I'm not sure it would really do much for depression, as I really don't notice much in the way of a mood change from them.

Jeff is right though, don't give up till you find one that works. You've already made a big step in the right direction by admitting you need help, and that takes a certain amount of strength to do, so yeah.... I'm not sure what kind of shrink you saw, but you might try a Behavioral Therapist.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I moved to Washington in 2007 and became depressed there. I was on prozac and it made my days more tolerable however it wasn't until I moved back to Montana that I felt like myself again. Like others have said, you need to get to the root of the problem. Talk to someone about how you feel and try to get to the real problem. Medication can make your days tolerable, but it won't make the problem go away.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
What meds are you on now? Just remember that a lot of medications take a month or more to start working. Like some said therapy really helps along with medication, one or the other doesn't really help for most, a combination of both is the best thing. I disagree that all Psychiatrists do is write scripts, while most do, you have to find the one that is willing to work with you. While I don't have depression, my father does and it has caused quite a few family problems and I pretty much know about all the drugs my dad has taken in the past and have done a lot of research on it.

What sucks is that now I have severe insomnia which is symptom of depression. Also I have noticed changes in my mood recently and read about REM sleep latency where your dreams start to happen right as soon as you sleep which I noticed happens to me and is another precursor to depression. Doesn't look good for me. I have a supportive family though, which is also important to have if you have depression. Best of luck to you man.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member

+1 I've had my down times here and there but, no where near as bad as my brother. Medication wasn't doing it and the therapy worked better, combined with different medication... along with lifestyle/habit changes.

I know it might be hard but, try and get out and do some things with friends. You'd be surprised how a good friend can help you out of some things, including being depressed.

Oh, don't go buy just any ford... buy a cobra. :p

CCT

Established Member
Except 99% of psychiatrists do nothing but write scripts. Best to have both.

Lexapro works quite well for me and my PTSD, but I'm not sure it would really do much for depression, as I really don't notice much in the way of a mood change from them.

Jeff is right though, don't give up till you find one that works. You've already made a big step in the right direction by admitting you need help, and that takes a certain amount of strength to do, so yeah.... I'm not sure what kind of shrink you saw, but you might try a Behavioral Therapist.

My mother went on lexapro. Although she didnt get it for depression, it worked wonders to help her relax and not overreact to things that would normally set her off (i.e. my grandmother). Whatever happens though, good luck. Being depressed is not fun in anyway and I hope you find what helps you fast. :)

mellor_21

Established Member
it hits me sometimes and for some reason waking up earlier in the morning helped a lot. then i ended up being way more social and i've only had a couple relapses for maybe a day or two at a time.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Look around you..... Despite the bad things you can think about their are a ton of things you can appreciate. You live in NJ......I wish I could live in NJ again. Hour to the Poconoes, Shore, NY or Phili. No one has it better than you. Spend time with a child and realize how awesome things are. Hopefully you will see this and realize depresion is just a word.

westtx47

Established Member
I wish depression was just a word. Mine comes and goes but, when it rears its head, I'll be down in the dumps for days then all of sudden be 'chipper' for a month.

My depression causes me to have sleep insomnia and I just can't not think about shit that bothers me and always thinking "what if". I don't take meds for mine, however, I'm prescribed Adderall which(although its not really supposed to) lifts my mood. IMO, go back to the doc, find the things that make you happy and do them regularly.

whiplash306

Established Member
I wish depression was just a word. Mine comes and goes but, when it rears its head, I'll be down in the dumps for days then all of sudden be 'chipper' for a month.
Hmmm, consider Bipolar disorder....? Do you notice a huge swing in attitude/outlook between your "dump" days and "chipper" days? This is also a very real disorder. Typically, the manic states vs depressant states are in STARK contrast of one another....just a thought. Either way, I wish you well. I fortunately have never suffered from depression, but have suffered from anxiety my entire life....senseless, irrational anxiety over absolutely NOTHING. Couple that with out of the blue heart pounding, light headed and full-body shaking panic attacks, again for no apparent reason, and life can really suck at times!

Fugazied

Established Member
Find a good doctor. You might have to try 20 to find a good one. But also combine it with therapy and non-pharmaceutical methods for handling it. Relying on a happy pill to get through the day won't work in the long run, you ned to use the right happy pill for you + other methods to address it.

KILRSVT

Established Member
My brother passed away not too long ago the lonely feeling and the lost get to me at times. I went to a therapist and had an evaluation. She pretty much said I was well.. but at times it kicks in. I'll do exercise and try to keep my mind off of it. If that doesnt help I'll go somewhere kind of lonely and let it rip in the cobra the adraneline really makes you feel great.....thats my way to deal with. Hope you get better life is too valuable to be depressed ultimateoranges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread