Deploying, need advice on how to get Mystic ready

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Well it's that time again,
I am heading back to Afghanistan in the next few weeks. Since I will be gone I plan on storing my Mystic in my garage. I was wondering if anyone has had experience storing a car for six months. What do I need to do to get the car ready for being in storage for that period of time?

Thanks in advance for your help
- Jess

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Not a big deal really... Only thing I do with mine is:

Detail
Fresh Oil
Full tank of gas
Make sure the tires are properly inflated
Open the vent (avoids a musty smell)

Some people like the piss with Stabil or putting the car on jacks. I never have and have never had any problems to date and my car is stored 8-9 months out of the year due to school.

Trickle charger isn't a bad idea either. I've never bothered with it though and my car has always fired right up.

2L8IWON

Established Member
Thanks a ton. So what do you mean by vent? Is that the AC or windows? I was thinking of unhooking the battery so that it won't draw while I'm gone.

When you get back do you baby your car for a while until all of the old gas and etc is out of the car?

Thanks again
- Jess

slowyellowcobra

one quick bananna
Established Member
I would recommend putting stabil in the gas, and definately change the oil, acids will build up in the oil if it just sets and could possibly damage your engine, highly unlikley , but possible. As far as jacking up the car it is just a precaution from getting flat spots in your tires. Goodluck in Afganland, and thanks from all of us to all of you guys for doing what you do for our country.

1QIK-SNK

Established Member
slowyellowcobra said:
I would recommend putting stabil in the gas, and definately change the oil, acids will build up in the oil if it just sets and could possibly damage your engine, highly unlikley , but possible. As far as jacking up the car it is just a precaution from getting flat spots in your tires. Goodluck in Afganland, and thanks from all of us to all of you guys for doing what you do for our country.

i read on a web site one time the they recomended parking you car on 4 pieces of carpet. i dont know if that dose anything though. :shrug:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
All I might add is to vacumm the carpet and clean the windows so you can just check the tires and fire it then drive. :-D That allows a careful inspection of the whole car. Come home safe and THANKS. (p.s. a car cover can give peace of mind)

Last edited:

WayFastWhitey

Gin and Jews
Established Member
if you have a two car garage and are married you should forbid your wife from parking next to your car.....my dads impala is usually stored for months at a time and he does the following if he knows its gonna set a while...

oil change
full tank of gas
car cover, after washing and drying
puts car on jackstands and pulls wheels off (says it helps w/ not over extending the suspension???)
stabil in the gas

he says when you get ready to drive it again check all the normals, including checking your coolant temp level (using one of those cheap tools that shows to what temp your coolant is good for) take it easy for the first tank of gas, just incase, and to take it for a low mph drive for a mile or tow and test the brakes a few times to insure that they are working properly(lucky for him he lives on a country rd so he doesnt piss people off by driving 30 for a few miles)

Mac25

Established Member
They about covered the car. So be safe and watch your 6. Let us know if you need anything while you are over there. Godspeed!

2L8IWON

Established Member
thanks a ton guys! I will keep everyone updated and when I get back there are some big plans for the Mystic. Thanks again for your support!
This is the best forum in the Mustang Community!

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Personally, I would recommend draining the oil right after your drive the car for the last time. The oil will drain better because it's warm, and any crap in it won't have a chance to settle. I wouldn't bother adding more oil at this point - all it's going to do is sit in the bottom of the pan anyways. Just slap the new filter on and throw in the oil right before you fire it up for the first time when you get back. Just make sure you leave a post-it on the steering wheel or over the tach, or some other place to remind you that there's no oil so you don't accidently fire it up dry.

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
put the car on blocks of wood or put it on jack stands. The cold cement will suck the moisture out of you wheels and result in dry rot.

Good Luck over in that shit hole. Stay safe, fight hard and come back in one peice! Goo Luck!!!

2L8IWON

Established Member
Thanks a ton for all of the help. I think I will leave the oil out of the car. I am running synthetic so it should be good empty for a while.

And good point about the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread