Denso plug question for those of you that have them

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
I got a set for my Cobra, the IT16's part # 5325.
Anyway, the gap doesn't look right, it looks a little small.
I don't want to try and gap these and mess them up.
Anyone know anything about this ?
Thanks

Vinnie T

Established Member
I don't run the Denso's. But like most plugs, they don't always come from the factory properly gapped. Or they may be used in multiple motors with different gaps, so they are just set in the general range.
Not sure if you can get these in local auto parts stores, but I remember seeing a pliers-like tool in the Summit Racing catalog that supposedly made it really easy to gap the plugs w/o damaging them. Usually, you can get by with some tool you have on hand. I generally just use a long-nose or small pliers and grasp the outside of the ground electrode. Where you can get in trouble is trying to pry it open by sticking something between the 2 electrodes.
Also look at the alignment of ground electrode and make sure it lines up well (centered) with the center electrode.

Are they Iridium tipped? If so, I doubt you could hurt them much.

Last edited:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
You should always gap plugs even though they say they are properly pre-gapped. Obviously you have figured out that this simply isn't true all the time. Be careful to use either the plier type of gapper like Vinnie T mentioned or a wire type gapper. The coin type gappers are terrible and will likely cause damage to the brittle electrode.

-norcal_cobra

Users who are viewing this thread