Densecharger

forced03

Established Member
My DC is here and ready to install. The gasket diameter is smaller than the tubing. I know this was discussed but I searched and didn't find the answer. Should I use gasket as is, trim it, or toss it and use a gasket sealant? I think I also read that they were going to start uncluding matched diameter gaskets. Maybe I should wait till monday and have them send me one. Any help?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Good question. I just got mine today too and didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I would think we would want to trim it or use silicone type sealant in it's place.

03DOHC

Established Member
Here you go. From this thread-->DC

Originally posted by Jerryk
Gasket: from the email I sent to JP regarding the install of my DC and some suggested install direction updates: "view the assembled MAM/L Pipe and ensure the rubber gasket provided does not protrude into the pipe. If it does, you can mark it by assembling the MAM and Pipe and tightening it which will imprint the outline of the MAM and pipe. Then disassemble it and trim the rubber gasket with a sharp razor blade. Reassembly with the gasket and some black RTV to ensure a good seal. "

I am not sure I read exactly what you did with that gasket but if you just assemble it as delivered the gasket WILL protrude into the tube. This is a very bad thing since as you know its right in front of the MAM and will MAJORLY disrupt the airflow. Is there ANY material protruding? I went so far as to even clean all the RTV that "squeezed" into the tube after tightening the MAM. Did this by covering a screwdriver w/ a rag and carefully wiping the inside diameter.

--> Just reread your post: you are pretty much saying the gasket DOES protrude into the pipe which DOES disrupt airflow RIGHT in front of the electronics.. very bad. Trim the gasket so nothing protrudes and all your problems go away.

My pullied/chipped car runs perfectly w/ the DC. Even w/o the chip it runs perfectly just leaner and w/ a lot less torque as you already indicated. Mine is mounted in the "down" position but I don't know if that matters.

Jerry

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I didn't use the RTV on mine. I kind of don't like the idea of it being stuck together. The imprint thing does work though. When you reassemble it though remember not to overtorque it and it'll seal just fine. If you do the gasket will distort and you'll have the same problem all over again.

tammy

Established Member
Can somebody tell me what the purpose of the descharge is exactly? I'm considering this as part of my husband's christmas I just wanted to know for myself. Any specific part number or additional info I need to know. Thanks

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by tammy
Can somebody tell me what the purpose of the descharge is exactly? I'm considering this as part of my husband's christmas I just wanted to know for myself. Any specific part number or additional info I need to know. Thanks

It serves two purposes.

1 - puts a free flowing K&N filter that draws more air in than the stock paper filter.

2 - it moves the filter into the fender well to draw cooler air into the intake instead of the hotter engine bay air. Colder air is denser, and the more dense the air, the more will be drawn into the combustion chamber - hence more power.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Tammy,
The densecharger is a form of cold air intake. It replaces the stock airfilter box and ducting up to the throttle body. The airfilter on the densecharger is located in the passenger fenderwell (goes thru the hole the stock airsilencer does).

If you look at your Cobra you will see the airfilter canister behind the passenger side head light and there is a rubber snorkel that goes into the fenderwell. That is the hole I am refering to.

Because of the densecharger's construction and material it is supposed to flow better, less susceptible to "heat soak" (the tubing absorbing heat and transfering it to the intake air), and because it draws air from the inner fenderwell is drawing "cooler" air than that which is in the engine compartment.

:dw:

tammy

Established Member
:) Thank you guys that was great. So the K&N filter everyone gets it goes there in the denscharger? So I'll need to buy that separate? Appreciate the help is there only one to get so that I don't screw up and get the wrong thing where do I get it? I ordered my exhaust from Rob and this will wind down his mod's for christmas.LOL

robb

Tammy, The correct K&N Filter is supplied with the D/C kit.

tammy

Established Member
Great thank you all for helping me out. I'm sure excited to get these two little mods' for the Cobra. I like stock myself but I can really see the need for these too things here it's just enhances the car so much imho. I'm not so sure on the chip/pulley though. We are not gonna RACE the car so to speak so I can't really justify it at the moment.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Personally..
Initial bang for the buck.... and kick in the ego.. feel of the machine... a Catback exhaust to give it a little more "voice"... and a good cone filter or CAI .. like the Densecharger.... Not a lot of money spent... but it will make what.. 30-40 HP difference.. won't void any warranty...

:coolman:

tammy

Established Member
I'm getting Rob Raymer's exhaust package w/cat. Is that the same thing as catback or x pipe stuff you all referre to often. The one thing I don't want and I know for sure is Flowmasters crap. I call it crap only because of the sound. I hate it, everybody in my little southeast Georgia town has it I just don't think they know anybetter. I want a destict crisp mean as hell sounding car. No one that sounds like it's echoing out of a cannon. Thanks A/Z for the help. I finally figured something out too. CAI = Cold Air Intake = Denscharger:)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by tammy
I'm getting Rob Raymer's exhaust package w/cat. Is that the same thing as catback or x pipe stuff you all referre to often.

Yes, Rob's exhaust is the entire exhaust system behind the manifolds, headers, including the x-pipe and catback.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Tammy,

The answer about Rob's exhaust was already given.. ( I would have no idea)

Under your car you have three portions of exhaust. The exhaust manifolds(headers) connected to the engine, the H-pipe which has the Cats, (which is what folks replace with the X-pipe w/cats or the off-road X-pipe w/no cats), finally the Cat-back (or it might better be said... behind the cats... as cat-back almost sounds like it includes the cats which it doesn't) which includes the mufflers, tail pipes etc.

Users who are viewing this thread