Dementia

13BlackGT

Established Member
My ask how old you are, and how is your health?

I am 69 and still doing great. I kept working until last year as a instrument tech in the oilfield. I stay very active with our farm, hunting and my mustangs

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
One of the biggest things is finding everything to get in control of her financial matters. I have power of attorney financial and medical, trust, etc. I am finding all the places to send it to. I have forwarded her mail and have control of her bank accounts to keep everything paid etc. social security has a call scheduled to work on that and I needed a letter from Dr stating her condition.
I am keeping her phone active for two factor authentication for online access
2 pensions, 2 insurance companies and no telling what else. I am getting there slowly. It’s harder since she is unable to get on phone with places to do something as simple as address change.
You probably have to apply for Guardianship if you haven’t already. To me it sounds like she’s become mentally incompetent for medical reasons. Bravo to you for taking care of her, but you must consider that you’re potentially liable to account for all funds expended from her accounts.
Ive been my Mother’s court appointed Guardian of Person and Estate for 10 years. I’m not suggesting that you’re not completely trustworthy, however admitting that you keep your Mom’s phone active, so that YOU can access her accounts will draw suspicion by anyone (a sibling, for example) who could think that Elder Abuse is occurring.

Consider protecting yourself.

13BlackGT

Established Member
You probably have to apply for Guardianship if you haven’t already. To me it sounds like she’s become mentally incompetent for medical reasons. Bravo to you for taking care of her, but you must consider that you’re potentially liable to account for all funds expended from her accounts.
Ive been my Mother’s court appointed Guardian of Person and Estate for 10 years. I’m not suggesting that you’re not completely trustworthy, however admitting that you keep your Mom’s phone active, so that YOU can access her accounts will draw suspicion by anyone (a sibling, for example) who could think that Elder Abuse is occurring.

Consider protecting yourself.

Yes, you have to keep everything and every receipt available for scrutiny. Especially when Medicare is involved. The last 5 years

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, you have to keep everything and every receipt available for scrutiny. Especially when Medicare is involved. The last 5 years

Exactly. Not sure if you've lawyered up yet, but I'd advise it at this point. They know all the ins and outs, and can actually save you some cash.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Lost our 102 yr old FIL a couple of years ago. His Dementia noticeably started about 5 years before his death. He became pretty angry with my wife (his daughter) as she was the main care giver. Seemed the more she was with him and the more she did for him the angrier he got at her. If frustrated her to no end and she still has issues from it.

Users who are viewing this thread