Deleting heater tube

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Has anyone deleted the heater tube under the intake manifold? I would like to do it while I have the blower/intake off the car. Anyone done it? Pros? Cons?. I am thinking I can plug the fittings in the back of the water pump and run a return hose to coolant crossover to keep the heater working, not that I will likely ever need heat again now that it will be strictly a Sunny Sunday car

01yellercobra

Established Member
The only people I know that have done it deleted the heater all together. Why do you want to delete the hard line?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
The only people I know that have done it deleted the heater all together. Why do you want to delete the hard line?
I have been reading about them developing leaks, while it looks in good shape, I would hate to put it all back together and have it start to leak down the road. My thinking is if I delete it, it would be an easier repair if the line was out in the open

01yellercobra

Established Member
The leaks come from the o-rings at the end usually. You can always replace them while you're there.

wckdvnm

Established Member
There was a post years ago by a member named SVTslow or something like that. He stated it was used as a bypass to get warm coolant into the cabin quicker. He claimed it could be deleted and you would only lose the quicker warm up for interior heat.
Cannot confirm this myself but I have tossed the idea around for blocking them off when I build a teksid.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
From what I have seen in the coolant flow diagrams, the heater core returns to the water pump through that tube, what your saying sounds very plausible as it would get the coolant directly back inthe pump for another run throttle engine. Seems to make sense in my head at least. In my case, how well the heat works doesn’t matter as I will likely never need it. Having said that, I want to have everything working should I decide to sell it( fat chance of that). I have both new o rings and the bits to delete it, still on the fence about what to do.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
MMR sells an adapter that you press into the boss behind the water pump, allows you to convert that line to AN and get rid of the hardline altogether. I did exactly that years ago and it has been perfect and leak-free.

444903_.jpg

Bullitt1448

Established Member
MMR sells an adapter that you press into the boss behind the water pump, allows you to convert that line to AN and get rid of the hardline altogether. I did exactly that years ago and it has been perfect and leak-free.

View attachment 1806119
That is great to hear, I actually have one of those but was a little hesitant to use it, I have a a few other MMR parts that I switched out for Cobra engineering stuff due to the lesser quality of their products. I will reconsider using this after you have been having good luck with it. Thank you for your input!

SGT MERC

Established Member
I did this mod when I rebuilt my engine. Used the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod and welded an AN fitting on my cross over tube for the coolant line coming from the junction @ the heater core.
That is great to hear, I actually have one of those but was a little hesitant to use it, I have a a few other MMR parts that I switched out for Cobra engineering stuff due to the lesser quality of their products. I will reconsider using this after you have been having good luck with it. Thank you for your input!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I did this mod when I rebuilt my engine. Used the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod and welded an AN fitting on my cross over tube for the coolant line coming from the junction @ the heater core.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I have the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod too, also looking to get his crossover delete and lower elbow but his crossover delete is out of stock right now. I have the MMR version but not happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread