Delayed Dash Startup

MrSwa

Established Member
When I left work yesterday, I noticed that my service engine soon light, and my abs light where not lit up (service engine light is for idle code, abs light unknown at this point). I live like 2 min from work so when I get home, I check the codes. Still throwing one (same one it has been). I wash it yesterday afternoon, and when I go to start it, the dash unit doesn't come on. Gauges, don't sweep, no mileage, etc. The car starts and idles fine. Even drives without the dash. I'm not sure if when I left work the dash started up normal or "delayed."

Here's the kicker, after about 15-20sec of the car running, the dash comes on. Everything works the way it's supposed to. I had the alternator go out on me last year, and got the stock one rebuilt. I also still have the battery from the factory. I have been getting the gut feeling that the alternator is on it's way out for some time, but it keeps on running. Anyone ever experience a "delayed" dash start up? Any ideas what it could be?

gabe1530

Banned
Check your fuzes. I had the same thing happen to mine but it wasn't from washing it.
The fuze that I replaced was the silver block looking one under the dash.

MrSwa

Established Member
No dice. Replace the large silver block and a blown 15A under the dash. Still have a delayed dash. Anyone have any idea? I will try and go through each fuse this afternoon to try and find another blown one, but I doesn't act like a blown fuse to me. The dash still works. The car drives fine, it just takes about 15sec to come on after car is started.

WildFifty

Established Member
this happens to me every time i start my car. I turn it on, gagues dont move, after a few seconds the gagues just go their running positions. No idea what could be the issue.

MrSwa

Established Member
So when I got home my wife tells me I had a headlight out. This was odd because I only had the running lights/fog lights on, the headlight shouldn't be on at all. I was messing the fuses earlier and I had accidentally crossed contacts on #4 and #5. Fixed it, and the headlight went off, and the dash came on with the key. We'll see in the morning if this was a fluke or not.

For those wondering, I'm pretty sure I replaced fuse #34. Something to do with the dash. I'll try and check later.

Here's to hoping this works.

Users who are viewing this thread