Degreeing Cams

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Right on. But it sure does sound like a blast! LOL, but I think im just gonna file on the sprockets a good bit so that I dont have to take them off a few times. From the way I understand it the keyway isnt a load bearing surface and was just added for faster factory timing, hence why the 00 Rs didnt have keyways on it.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Think ive got it figured out but been super busy lately. Gotta work this weekend but got a long 5 day weekend next weekend so hopefully ill have the car back together and running. Had a complete blonde moment and when I oreded my ARP bolts I only ordered 2 instead of 4! Really wanna kick myself for that one but oh well. From the info I gathered on this thread im pretty sure ive got it licked. Ill post up again once ive got it done just been busy with work and some other things.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Well I can see why everyone complains and cuss's about degreeing these cams. Finally got some time to get to it and working at it. Took the sprockets and what not off 4 times total until I just ground off the keyways completely so I didnt have to take them off. Worked on it from 1pm to 1am and got the RH exh cam degreed to 118* and just gave up, got too tired to finish off the intake but got it to 107.5*. Got a bit more work to do but got it all figured out and what not. Definately a time consuming process!

Quick Strike

Established Member
Got a bit more work to do but got it all figured out and what not. Definately a time consuming process!

It should go faster now that you are in the groove. Make sure those bolts are tight and don't move your centerlines with tightening. Without keys, loosening bolts would mean ............... bad things.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
This is why I got the TFS crank gears and Cloyes cam gears. It makes this much easier.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I have the trick flow kit for mod motor. It took me3 days to get them at 114.
I had one at 109.5 whoa. Talk about off.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea I degreed mine to 110 and 118 as per the cam card/mostly thanks to Quick Strike! Def went quicker after doing the first exhaust and intake about 4 times, after taking it apart that many times I just ground off the keyways all the way then it was smooth sailing. I found that the 00R didnt have keyways from the factory and that it is not a load bearing surface to begin with? So if this is true I should have no problems at all with ARP hardware and torqued down to 100 ft/lbs. I thought about adjustable cam gears but read alot of horror stories of them blowing up and taking the motor out.....

Ironhand

Banned
Yea I degreed mine to 110 and 118 as per the cam card/mostly thanks to Quick Strike! Def went quicker after doing the first exhaust and intake about 4 times, after taking it apart that many times I just ground off the keyways all the way then it was smooth sailing. I found that the 00R didnt have keyways from the factory and that it is not a load bearing surface to begin with? So if this is true I should have no problems at all with ARP hardware and torqued down to 100 ft/lbs. I thought about adjustable cam gears but read alot of horror stories of them blowing up and taking the motor out.....

You talking about the cam gears or the cams?

I know for a fact that the 00R cams have keyways in them. Maybe the gears themselves didnt.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea from what I read the cam gears didnt have keyways in them? Found that on modded and a few other sites. I do know for a fact thought that the keyway is not a load bearing surface, sure it might catch it from turning too far but whose to say the keyway itself couldnt shear off the gear....

Users who are viewing this thread