Declining job offer after interview need advice

sdoo500

Established Member
Long story as short as possible, I had an interview yesterday for a staff accountant position for an auto auction/wholesale service local to me. I currently am an accountant for a credit union and am extremely limited for growth there and severely underpaid. (Isn't everyone? ;-)

Interview went extremely well I thought, it's the same position with just a small increase in pay which isn't a deal breaker as money isn't my only concern. I just really did not feel like it was a place I could see myself working and have no real desire to work there.

Today, the recruiter who originally got me the interview called and asked for references and said that they really liked me and wanted more references which isn't a problem. My question is where I am confident it is not a place I want to work, do the gurus of the professional world of SVTP think its better to let them know now or wait until/if they make an offer?

I know they are interviewing others and do not want to waste their time but also don't want to seem rude saying the job might not be for me even before they make a real offer.

Thanks guys,

jbs$

Established Member
What don't you like about the opportunity? Is the people, the work environment, the type of work or what? you have not given enough information for informed feed back.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Call the recruiter now and tell him you aren't interested. That way he's not wasting his time. Don't be a time waster buddy. Man up and let him know.

sdoo500

Established Member
What don't you like about the opportunity? Is the people, the work environment, the type of work or what? you have not given enough information for informed feed back.

The type of work is typical of accounting, nothing exciting but nothing I don't expect. The environment is what kind of kills it for me as childish as that may seem. Everyone who works there looks absolutely miserable and there didn't seem to be any career track there or much room for growth.

The interviewer also said that the small group of accountants there are the only people with any specialized skills or education. Most of the other jobs are just data entry type or minimum wage help so I fear it isn't a place that I will be able to learn much outside of things specific to that job. I'm 23years old and just graduated, I really want to see what else is out there rather than taking the first job offered to me just to be in the same position a year or two from now.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The type of work is typical of accounting, nothing exciting but nothing I don't expect. The environment is what kind of kills it for me as childish as that may seem. Everyone who works there looks absolutely miserable and there didn't seem to be any career track there or much room for growth.

The interviewer also said that the small group of accountants there are the only people with any specialized skills or education. Most of the other jobs are just data entry type or minimum wage help so I fear it isn't a place that I will be able to learn much outside of things specific to that job. I'm 23years old and just graduated, I really want to see what else is out there rather than taking the first job offered to me just to be in the same position a year or two from now.

Is it better than where you are now? Lots of professionals move around, gaining experience here and there, then move on. A low level firm like you're talking about is probably used to it, but you have to balance moving around without looking like you can't hold a job. Is the recruiter for this company only? Tell him your concerns and put the ball in their court.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Maintain a good relationship with the recruiter by telling him\her now. It won't be a big deal, your over thinking it honestly.

sleek98

Established Member
As a CPA that has switched firms 2 times if you dont feel great going in dont go. Also let them know that you dont feel like the culture is a fit. The recruiter wont be mad, in the long run it helps him, when you jump in 6 months they will find another recruiter to fill the position and he will lose any openings at a later date.

First firm I worked for was awesome but was pretty far away, with the busy season hours I hopped to a firm that was pretty close to home but the culture there was horrible. I hated going to work everyday and left after 18 months. Now I work for a private family office as a tax manager and I love it here.

MysticRob

Established Member
More money and at a car auction/wholesaler. Sold! Sounds a hell of a lot better than a bank anyway. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Never know when you might come across a nice car you can get cheap for a nice flip too.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You could always try bringing up your concerns to the recruiter, or even the hiring manager if they make you an offer. I've discussed quality of life and future with every single offer i've been presented, and hell most times in the interviews before hand. Granted, i'm in I.T., where things arent always "normal" compared to other fields.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Call the recruiter and thank them for their time and the opportunity but you're not interested.

Good luck on your continuing job hunt.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Just tell 'em you decided not to pursue the position any further.

Remember, an interview is as much for YOU as it is for them.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
Is there any amount of money they can offer you that would make you suck it up and overlook the culture issue you think you'll have an issue with if you were to accept a job there?

What if they come in and offer you $5-10k more than you're expecting?

Users who are viewing this thread