Decisions Decisions S197 or Termi

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Right now since I'm stock minus a catback, he's definitely faster... but the potential power vs power, I feel I'd be spending a lot less than him to get an advantage.

I've DD'd my cobra since i bought it in 09 with no major problems (not even an alternator phew) and loved every bit. The amount of looks I get surprises me almost everyday and my girlfriend absolutely loves the attention it gets. I've contemplated selling it for other "life decisions" if u will but my gf has told me that she never wants me to sell it....being that she comes from a GM family, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

:beer: :rolling: :thumbsup:

I vote cobra

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
urgh I hate having discussions with the uninformed...

It tkaes more than just the suspensions set up to determine how a car handles.

You have to look at wieght distribution, weight transfer, chassis stiffness etc...overall the S197>ANY NEW EDGE the Terminator "looks better" (subjective) and has a better motor (objective).

Lol. You have to be the LEAST credible person on this forum. No one wants the opinion of a sanitation engineer.

Back on topic. OP, I kind of went through this same thing for the last couple weeks except throw in a GTO and the only Terminators in my budget were too beat on for me to seriously consider. The Terminator is a bad ass car for sure, and I'd love to own one, but I don't think I'd ever want to DD it and if I buy one, it would have to be unmolested. The SN95 platform feels like a rattle trap/cramped compared to the GTO and the S197 without a doubt. For a daily driver, I would go S197 every time. If you want to make power, get the Terminator.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
That's funny...me too. :bored:

From the Car and Driver review of the 2003 Cobra:

"An aluminum driveshaft connects the six-speed box to the rear axle, where a limited-slip diff with a 3.55:1 final-drive ratio resides in an aluminum case. That case is attached to a new tubular cross brace that is part of a revised independent-rear-suspension subframe. Bushing, mount, and spring rates are all-new, and the rear geometry has been revised to reduce roll steer.

Monotube Bilstein shocks, which provide better response to suspension deflections, according to SVT chief engineer John Coletti, are fitted at all four corners. For the first time, coupe and convertible Cobras have different spring rates to deal with their specific structures and applications. Both models get new five-spoke cast-alloy wheels with nine-inch rim widths (up one inch), and they wear impressive 275/40ZR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber."

Continued:

"Even when drifting with all four wheels in a slide, the Cobra was receptive to messages from the brakes, throttle pedal, and wheel. In fact, the overly quick off-center steering response we recall from previous Cobras has been transformed to properly linear steering gain as you add pressure to the thick, leather-wrapped rim.

Since the supercharger installation adds about 160 pounds to the front end once you add in the Eaton blower, the cast-iron block, and the intercooler installation, one might expect the resultant weight redistribution (56.6/43.4) to produce a nose-heavy car with snappy rear-end breakaway characteristics.

But somehow that's not translated to the road, even with that phenomenal low-end-torque potential waiting for an injudicious stab of throttle. Somehow, SVT has made the chassis tolerate the nose-heavy weight distribution and big rear-drive muscle. Tolerate it? Hey, this thing loves the track."

:bored:

So *cough* bullshit *cough*...I'm sorry...you were saying something?:-D

All told, it’s a very progressive Mustang. And one that we couldn’t wait to flog around Michigan’s Gingerman Raceway. The GT was our natural choice to ride, and immediately impressed us with the instantaneous throttle response and the fat, flat V-8 power band. With new 3-valve cylinder heads and variable cam timing, the latest 4.6 is much more refined. It also revs a lot faster and exhibits a hearty rumble that pony car fans will love.

The 5-speed manual gearbox is firm and positive, while the automatic is crisp and refined. But to the numbers. V-8 0-60 in 5.0 seconds flat. The V-6 is no slouch either at 7.0 seconds. And the chassis is just as impressive, with a tight, solid feel that makes the old Mustang feel like rubber.

The new Mustang turns in quicker, and holds its line through fast corners with minimal effort. There’s also much less tendency for the tail to break loose if you give it too much gas mid-corner, and expansion joints are far less upsetting.

In every respect, the reaction of the new chassis is light years ahead of the old car, and finally brings the American pony car into the 21st century.

But the real music comes from a packed and tuned stainless steel dual exhaust, which pumps out the greenhouse gases, from Ford’s 4.6-liter single-cam 24-valve V8. Horsepower increases by 15 to 315, and torque by 5 pound-feet to 325, over the stock GT. You can thank the Ford Racing designed cold-air intake and recalibrated engine computer for that!

The gearbox also gets an upgrade to a heavy duty Tremec 5-speed, controlled by a Bullitt-exclusive shifter with a polished aluminum ball, while the live axle rear end gets 3.73 gearing, to help launch the Bullitt like, well, like a bullet, which on our clock means 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds; two-tenths faster than the 1st generation Bullitt. But things even out by the end of the quarter-mile, with a final time of 13.7 seconds at 104 miles-per-hour.

The new rear end helps the new Bullitt launch harder, while the retuned V8 with its slightly higher 6,500 rpm redline revs faster through the gears which means a driver has to be quick on the shifter; a task made easier by its tight, sharp feel. The clutch also delivers plenty of feel, with smooth, progressive action. It is heavy however, a bit too heavy for regular use in stop-and-go traffic.

But rather than the traffic on the hills of San Francisco, our all-out driving environment was the flat’s of Georgia’s Roebling Road Raceway. A perfect set of curves to put the Bullitt’s modified suspension to the test.

Firmer shocks and struts, plus a front strut tower brace for extra stiffness, gives the Bullitt a feel that is tighter and better balanced than the ‘01 Bullitt and the current GT. Steering feel is dead on even with moderate body roll.

That roll had little effect on lap times as the Bullitt’s generous feedback and very progressive power delivery allowed us to hustle the corners at a healthy pace.

Braking feel and distances, a best of 128 feet from 60, were acceptable but not exceptional, despite the addition of exclusive front and rear pads borrowed from the GT500.

On open roads, the Bullitt’s solid suspension was easily tight enough for brisk runs along back roads, but not harsh enough to hammer you over pot holes and on long treks
-Motorweek on the 2005 GT / 2009 Bullitt.

:shrug:

just sayn IRS doesnt mean it can handle well...

the IRS was redneck engineered to fit the car,

honestly

S197 > IRS > SRA (new edge sn95 etc)

Until you actually drive an 03-04 Cobra with the FTBR or Maximum Motorsports IRS bushing kit...its best you pipe down with your expert analysis on how the IRS on these cars handles. I'm confident that you've never driven an 03-04 with all the rubber out of the IRS. I recently had that pleasure and the handling difference from stock is remarkable.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What actually happened was the water pump went out. Causing it to overheat in a matter of seconds. This caused it to blow a head gasket and fry two of the cylinders. All of this happened cruising at ~60.

As far as I know the tune was stock. The pulley was stock with the cage. I have no idea what was done to it previously.

Thats interesting considering I ran my cobra to work and back (10min round trip 7 of which were freeway minutes including the obligatory WOT onramp run) with almost NO coolant after failing hardcore n00b like status the night before replacing the overflow tank and only filling up the overflow tank with coolant (like 2-3qts if that) before it was "full" and then just getting up in the morning and driving.

And how the hell does a mechanical water pump break? Its an impeller with a steel shaft and a pulley on the other side that the belt runs around. How the hell does any part of that assembly fail over time? I can see it leaking at the seals. Ive had faulty water pumps that start to leak but they still circulate water throughtout the block just as well.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Compared to the SRA New Edge GT..

Terminator handles better than S197 GT.

According to Road and Track the 03 Cobra pulled a .88g on their skidpad and pushed its way through the slalom 65.6 mph. While the 05 GT .84g and 64.9 respectively.

That was SVT's crown-jewel Cobra against the garden variety GT. Now stack the Cobra against the 08 Bullitt (.084g skid pad and 67.2mph slalom) or other S.E. S197 and it's gets bad for the old floppy cobra.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Compared to the SRA New Edge GT..

Terminator handles better than S197 GT.

I dunno about that. Id venture stock for stock, equal drivers, you will likely get equal track times given the 03/04 Cobra is less 20ish hp and will heat soak on a road course without proper mods before a n/a 5.0 will. The chassis of the S197 goes a long way into handling even though its got solid rear under it.

Stock for stock though, ill give up a little handling for way better street manners IMO. I simply cannot stand how stick axles behave on even somewhat nice roadways, let alone the horrendously paved roads here in CA. Skipping all over the place at throttle.

I cant wait to see what IRS + S197 underpinnings handles. No wonder BMW killed the M3, no sense in keeping it around.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
keep in mind that stock vs stock, an 07 GT comes on terrible tires and blah suspension. a stock cobra can still has some good parts to begin with. much wider tires, better shocks.

an 07 GT will feel slow as balls. sure its more comfy and luxurious feeling on the inside and can be made to handle great but it seriously lacks in power. and to make up for that lack of power would wipe out the cost savings. let alone changing suspension, tires, etc... a $20k 3v??? lol. i dont care if it has 100 miles. no thanks. unless its a roush or saleen.

save up a bit more and get a nice used 5.0. THAT is worthy of comparison to a terminator. not a 3v :nono:

The Cobra will be much more fun to drive, but the S197 will be quite different from the SN95 style. More refined and more comfortable. They are two completely different cars. The Cobra is much more of a sports car though.

agreed. there is nothing fun about a 3v GT until you throw some $$ at it. a stock cobra is still fun. with ridiculous fun for a few $$ more.

Have you ever owned a Cobra with IRS? :??:

lol. that's what i was thinking.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
FACE PALM!!! Gents, this post was about comparing a Termi to a stage 3 roush with the s197 body style, like a 2006! not a regular gt, or newer 5.0 for that matter. This isn't a dick measuring contest guys.

ah well in that case then a stage 3 roush might be worth it. ive never driven one so i cant say for sure. the styling is very subjective on those roushes. i like the new edge roushes and the 5.0 ones. not sure about the 07-09 but not BAD by any means. if you can test drive one go for it.

i like my 07 gt500 much more than my 03 cobra. the interior is a huge plus. and just fit and finish. still love the 03s though.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
keep in mind that stock vs stock, an 07 GT comes on terrible tires and blah suspension. a stock cobra can still has some good parts to begin with. much wider tires, better shocks.

an 07 GT will feel slow as balls. sure its more comfy and luxurious feeling on the inside and can be made to handle great but it seriously lacks in power. and to make up for that lack of power would wipe out the cost savings. let alone changing suspension, tires, etc... a $20k 3v??? lol. i dont care if it has 100 miles. no thanks. unless its a roush or saleen.

save up a bit more and get a nice used 5.0. THAT is worthy of comparison to a terminator. not a 3v :nono:

agreed. there is nothing fun about a 3v GT until you throw some $$ at it. a stock cobra is still fun. with ridiculous fun for a few $$ more.

lol. that's what i was thinking.

Ya'll act you need to have 600+ hp to have fun... my CS is much more fun to flog around a mountain road (you know... where curves exist!) than my dad's cobra... And his car nearly is 600hp and has a bunch of go-fast goodies bolted on.

musclefan21

Established Member
My cobra was DEFINITELY smoother, easier to drive than my 07 GT with 50k miles. If you guys wanna talk about overall car...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ya'll act you need to have 600+ hp to have fun... my CS is much more fun to flog around a mountain road (you know... where curves exist!) than my dad's cobra... And his car nearly is 600hp and has a bunch of go-fast goodies bolted on.

Your dad's cobra is solid rear.....

Sick03Vert

Banned
A Cobra is a ten year old car that can still run with new model Mustangs, is a street legend, and is still selling for more than 50% of it's original sticker price. That should be all you need to know.

Fixed. :-D

Hey, you asked for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread