decision on rims,need your input

What rims should I put on my black new edge???

• 03 04 Chrome cobras

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Saleens

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Fr500's

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Keep the rims you have,and do more performance mods.

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Well I have done a lot of performance oriented things to my new edge since I bought it in May. But I havent really done anything to the appearance the of the car. The car is in decent shape exterior wise,but I think I need to balance out the mods a little. So of course I want to get some "Beater" rims before I get some higher end rims later in the future. Im having a hard time deciding between FR-500's,03-04 cobras,and Saleens.

1. I dont like chrome fr-500's...I like the anthracite,and hypercoated versions.

2. I will only put a chrome 03-04 cobra wheel on the car.

3. I like the saleen wheels,but im not sure if I like it more than the other two choices.

One more thing to factor in : if you look at my sig pic,you can see my front two tires have damn good tread on them. What I was thinking about doing (to save money) was taking the tires off the factory rims,and throwing them on some 03 04 cobras since its a 17'' tire. Im not really trying to go all out here money wise,just get some new rims.

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
I would recommend keeping the rims that are currently on your Cobra and just save up for the wheels you really want. People seem to overlook the fact that a light weight set of high quality wheels can have a dramatic effect on performance.

As an example, On my Cobra, Just simply adding a set of Fikse wheels(instead of the super heavy and way too common Saleen, FR500, 2000 R and terminator wheels) along with Eibach springs and Beilstien HD shocks was enough to totally eliminate the wheel hop from the IRS without having to mess with replacing the bushings.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I would recommend keeping the rims that are currently on your Cobra and just save up for the wheels you really want. People seem to overlook the fact that a light weight set of high quality wheels can have a dramatic effect on performance.

As an example, On my Cobra, Just simply adding a set of Fikse wheels(instead of the super heavy and way too common Saleen, FR500, 2000 R and terminator wheels) along with Eibach springs and Beilstien HD shocks was enough to totally eliminate the wheel hop from the IRS without having to mess with replacing the bushings.

well dont get me wrong,I love the terminator rims,and have always liked them. I cant say I have always "wanted" them,because this is my first new edge mustang. And knowing me,I am the type to ride around,and not worry about appearance until my car is built,boosted,and tuned. I dont want to do that,because a lot of my old cars were "fixer uppers" but were pretty quick.

totheduals

Established Member
I have a set of 04 Chrome 17 x 9 Cobra rims. These are actual take offs not JOBBERS! They have 275/40 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS (like new 1000M) tires on them. I also took the paint off the inside of the rims so they are completly chrome all the way through now.

I'm looking to sell them if you are interested.

IMGP1656.gif

IMGP2305.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can't believe I'm going to say this:

I agree with cobraracer. Just keep the rims you have now and save the money ot get rims you really want. Our rims don't look too bad really. And they'll get you by until you find something you really want.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
03 cobra's if you want to keep the cobra clean or Saleens if you can afford the tires. Everyone seems to have FR500's. Did that help? I went with 03 cobra’s, but if I did it again I'd go with the 10th anniversary 17X9 17X10.5 now available on late model resto.

Rotzs99

Established Member
my chrome 04s are pure sex on the black. Everyone tells me that the wheels make my car and my car is the best looking one with 03/04s...I usually agree:-D:-D:-D:-D

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I think the 5-point star wheels look best on a New Edge. If you want bling...18" '03 Chrome or Polished Cobra's (if you can find them...polished looks better IMHO...but more work). Saleens are a close second...but '03 Cobra's look...meatier...less wagon-wheel. Also, like 18"x9.5" 2000 Cobra R's in silver...very no-nonsense competitive look....but not bling. Of course, if you are going to O/T or laying down a lot of rubber with your car 17" is going to be way cheaper for replacing tires. Post pics after your decision.

Last edited:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Stay

Stay with the blacked out ones you have, your car looks mean as is and not too "showy" which I think is cooler than having big "look at me" chrome wheels.

If you want to switch it up though, save up and get the ones you really want later on.

Oh yeah and black Mustangs FTW!

Smoked SVT

Established Member
I think it would be badass if you were to widen them to 10.5" and get some 3" studs. I like the 99/01 style...they just arent wide enough.

VtekII

Established Member
i went with the 17" 03s too cuz i wanted to keep my stock tires up front and got 315 nittos for the back for like 300 bux not too bad to only have about 900 in a new set of wheels and tires. and i like chrome much more, guess just depends on the look your goin for

Users who are viewing this thread