Decision on Cold Air Intake

blucobra03

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT with 3:73 gears and am considering the expense of a cold air intake to bring the HP and torque numbers up from stock. I looked at several different brands, some of which came with tunes. Then I got to thinking about possibly changing the stock intake for a Boss 302 intake. But, when I looked at the HP/torque numbers between the combination of Boss 302 intake with a cold air intake kit/tune and just the cold air intake with a tune, there really wasn't that much difference. At least not enough to warrant close to an extra thousand dollars for that Boss 302 intake. If I was going to add headers, a full exhaust, supercharger, and start looking for another 100 plus horses, then I might consider it. So, what do you guys think ? Is it worth it to spend that kind of money or will I get enough from the cold air intake and tune by themselves, given my end goal ? By the way, if I do go with the CAI and tune, who makes the best one that has the carbon fiber look ? As always, thanks for the great advise guys. This will make a great Christmas present to myself. :beer:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Boss intake is less then $500. Idk where you got $1000 from?

Boss intake is one of my favorite mods. Just smoothing out the runners I picked up 15-20rwhp. Made 450rwhp in a pretty basic bolt on car.

99mstng

Established Member
Do a bit more searching - all the answers you seek are out there ... bottom line if you want the most bang for your buck do a tune and cat deletes. Cold air intake is a dyno/sound & looks mod no real world performance gains. Boss intake is a whole other debate lol if you're going to rev to 7500 + you may see benefits but it's marginal.

Supercharger isn't compatible with either cai or boss im if you're wanting to do that down the road.

bmyles

Established Member
You can run the boss manifold with a centri blower. As mentioned a set of cat deletes and a tune will get you more bang for your buck than a Cai will.

blucobra03

Established Member
So, if I remove the cats, what do you guys recommend I replace them with ? On my 03 Cobra, I had a set of Bassani exhaust with the offroad pipes installed, but to be honest, I like the sound of the Flowmasters that are currently on my 96 GT better. And for the tune, is there one I can get online from someone reputable and will actually up the HP, or is it recommended I take the car to someone close by like Lamotta Performance here outside Orlando, FL ? :shrug: Any suggestions are appreciated. :burnout:

mystickb1996

Established Member
I was in the same boat as you when I got my 14.. And by far best bang for buck was exhaust and tune. I went with magnaflow off road x pipe and there street series axle back. Then went with a bama tune ( which honestly I'm happy with even know it's not a favorite here) they have free tune revisions if you ever change mods. Bama gets shit on this site and I'm always one to be a true dyno tune but this tune really is good. Last week I ran at strip for 2nd time the first time was stock and ran 13.2@ 110 this past time with the tune and exhaust I ran 12.3@116.. Def was happy
Bottom line skip the intake get a tune and exhaust

GBCoyote

Established Member
Get a good catless X-pipe and grab a tuner. I hear great things about AED and their tuning. Supposed to be worth every penny, which may yield the power your looking for without adding a CAI or Boss mani. All the mods we're talking about come together when added atop one another and should yield decent numbers. Gotta pay to play I suppose.

bmyles

Established Member
We'll you can get the cat delete pipes(bbk , steeda or jegs) or you can get on off road mid pipe of your choice. The cat deletes just replace your cats but leave the factory h pipe in place where as the mid pipe replaces the cats and factory h pipe.

blucobra03

Established Member
Sounds like I need to start looking for an exhaust system for this thing with a good tune, if I am hearing everyone correctly. Does anyone know of a site where they have the different exhaust systems installed and running so you can actually hear what it sounds like before spending that kind of money ? Like I said, on my 03 Cobra I had put a Bassani full exhaust with off road and to be honest, I wasn't that crazy about the sound. Too raspy for me. I like the true deep throated old muscle car sound, like I had when I used to own a 70 Boss 302. Still wish I had it too :bash:. If I only knew then, what I know today :shrug: Thanks again all for the help.

Msteers

Established Member
I went with Lethal Performance off-road xpipe with the GT500 axle backs and I couldn't be happier with the sound and the tune I flashed on the ECU. Compliments literally everytime I drive her and I can't say I'll get sick or annoyed from the WOT screaming.

bmyles

Established Member
Sounds like I need to start looking for an exhaust system for this thing with a good tune, if I am hearing everyone correctly. Does anyone know of a site where they have the different exhaust systems installed and running so you can actually hear what it sounds like before spending that kind of money ? Like I said, on my 03 Cobra I had put a Bassani full exhaust with off road and to be honest, I wasn't that crazy about the sound. Too raspy for me. I like the true deep throated old muscle car sound, like I had when I used to own a 70 Boss 302. Still wish I had it too :bash:. If I only knew then, what I know today :shrug: Thanks again all for the help.

YouTube is a good resource I found in the past for helping me choose exhaust. I am running the gt500 axle back and upr off road x pipe and it sounds good. In my opinion my car sounded better with the cat delete pipes and factory h pipe than the x I am running now.

Last edited:

blucobra03

Established Member
Msteers, sounds like you may have the sound combination I am looking for. I like the looks of the GT500 axle backs too. How is the cabin when driving at normal speeds, any drone ? Would it be possible to send me a video of your car idling and with various RPM so I can hear it ? I have tried YouTube and there are a bunch of videos, but you can't really compare the sound to stock to actually hear the difference. What I need is a site that has videos of various exhaust systems installed compared to the car when stock. I do appreciate all the advice though. I will definitely be getting a tune with the exhaust, but from who, I don't know yet. Another exhaust system I heard about is Corsa. They guarantee no drone in the cabin. Of course, if their system sounds like crap, it doesn't matter. I will have to see if anyone has one of those installed too. Thanks again for the help guys..:beer:

Voltwings

Established Member
Open throttle body, no intake. Least restriction = most horsepower. Fu3k the haters.

Nuar

Established Member
Unfortunately these cars are raspy... Not much can be done about that :(
Some guys put in bullet mufflers instead of resonators and they say it helps.
I am pretty happy with my exhaust. it does get a little obnoxious at wide open throttle, but i've heard MUCH worse systems.
Right now I wouldn't change my exhaust. I am happy with it.

[youtube_browser]wf3yxxnlLlw[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]w7s3IccHluQ[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
Scott, that is Weapon's Grade Performance. However I do not recommend the place. Notice how all 4 wheels are spinning? Lol.

denali33

Established Member
When I did cat delete and cai, combined I lost a bit of low end, but the midrange swelled and the upper rpms stayed stronger. Green is with cat deletes and cai
slim_zpse05446f3.png

Users who are viewing this thread