Decision: '99 or '01 Cobra...Question inside.

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Well to start off with I'll tell you the situation I'm in. My dad just bought a new house or else I'd be driving one of this vechiles already. I have to wait for him to do the mortage on the new house, because it is not already built. That should be alround October/November, maybe earlier or later all depending on how fast they build the house. After the mortage is done, he said he'll co-sign with me on whatever car I want and can pay for. So I'm definately getting a '99 or '01 Cobra. Here is my question. Which one and why?
I'm leaning towards a '99 despite all the problems they have had. I can get it cheaper and also not have to worry about the pinging problems experienced in the '01. What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. If I went with a '99, any suggestions as to what tell the mechanic to look for before I purchased? Compression test, wear on halfshafts, clunks on IRS, etc.? Also would you recommend that I replace the halfshafts regaurdless? Any other things to look out for?

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Seeing that I have to make the payments, the 03 is completly out of the question. Once again it is between a '99 and '01, if I can swing the payments.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Personally I chose the 01 for a couple small reasons. There are more color choices,it has a 6 disc changer,much better seats and a couple small enhancements on the outside. It has better axles (31 spline versus 28),the gearbox is smoother though not significantly stronger. The ping is not in all cars by any means,actually only in a rather small percentage. My car doesn't have it and the people that do have it have found some simple fixes for the most part. A performance chip,autologic usually or a o/r x pipe has worked well. This is just my opinion but I think the 01 is a better car.

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by SweetSVT99
How much do you want your payments to be?

Well put it this way, I can work with about $20-23k. I'm not 100% sure yet if I can swing a '01 Cobra, being as the market is much higher as of now.

Last edited:

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
Personally I chose the 01 for a couple small reasons. There are more color choices,it has a 6 disc changer,much better seats and a couple small enhancements on the outside. It has better axles (31 spline versus 28),the gearbox is smoother though not significantly stronger. The ping is not in all cars by any means,actually only in a rather small percentage. My car doesn't have it and the people that do have it have found some simple fixes for the most part. A performance chip,autologic usually or a o/r x pipe has worked well. This is just my opinion but I think the 01 is a better car.

Thanks for the input. Just not sure if I'll have that opiton as of yet.

svtmesoon

Established Member
Whats up, mjp, I'm going thru the exact dillema. I think that I'm going with the 99, cause the 01 is close to $30000. If I went that high, I couldn't justify not getting an 03. But, if you get an 01, you will be longer protected by the warranty. Getting the color combo you want is something else awaiting you. I have been looking for about 3 mos for a 99 in Performance red with either black or gray interior. So far, I have found 1 with black,yesterday, but with no Mach 460 system, and it's about 1200 miles away.
Good luck
Ric

Mjp

Timely Turbo
Established Member
Originally posted by svtmesoon
Whats up, mjp, I'm going thru the exact dillema. I think that I'm going with the 99, cause the 01 is close to $30000. If I went that high, I couldn't justify not getting an 03. But, if you get an 01, you will be longer protected by the warranty. Getting the color combo you want is something else awaiting you. I have been looking for about 3 mos for a 99 in Performance red with either black or gray interior. So far, I have found 1 with black,yesterday, but with no Mach 460 system, and it's about 1200 miles away.
Good luck
Ric

Thanks man. Good luck on your purchase, sounds like a sweet deal. I'm leaning towards the '99 myself, despite the problems they seem to have.

Bump for others. :)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Mjp

Well put it this way, I can work with about $20-23k. I'm not 100% sure yet if I can swing a '01 Cobra, being as the market is much higher as of now.
Prices are generally higher for Mustangs, in the Spring/Summer, so waiting until November helps alot. I think you'll be in striking distance of a '01, given your price range... The '99 will save some on the frontside, but the '01's upgrades (especially the seats) make it a better buy, IMHO...

Good luck, anyway. Either way, you can't go wrong..., nice taste :thumbsup:

svtmesoon

Established Member
Heck, if $20-23 is in striking distance from an 01, then I'm there too man! I just haven't seen prices for an 01 under $28000. Must be looking in all of the wrong places. Still waiting for a call from the guy with the 99. Man, I hope I don't end up with a $20,000+headache! Whats up Jimbo?
Later, Ric

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
FYI,they didn't make the 99's in performance red and if you saw a cobra without the mach 460,it wasn't a cobra.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by svtmesoon
Heck, if $20-23 is in striking distance from an 01, then I'm there too man! I just haven't seen prices for an 01 under $28000. Must be looking in all of the wrong places. Still waiting for a call from the guy with the 99. Man, I hope I don't end up with a $20,000+headache! Whats up Jimbo?
Later, Ric
Welcome to the site :-D

KBB shows $25K for an EXCELLENT '01 with 12,000 miles in my zip code. I figure you can beat that after the summer passes and the '03s are out and on the road...

Like I said, either way, you can't really go wrong (if the factory "fixes" have been done)...

svtmesoon

Established Member
tta... Your right, prolly dumb on my part. He didn't mention the mach(in the ad) just a cassette player. I figured that it didn't have the Mach, but have since read that all Cobras come with Mach audio. Do you know if they all have disc players? one would think so. That sucks about the perf red.(for me) I guess that means I'll have to save a few more months and get an 01.
Hey tta... have you had much trouble with car? The 1st time you drove it, were you REALLY impressed with its performance? Have you drove, or been in a 99? are the seats(in the 01) a little, or a lot better? Thanks for the info!
Later, Ric

svtmesoon

Established Member
Whats up Jimbo? Who is KBB, and do you know the ext&int colors? You know my wants: Perf red & charcoal or graphite int.

Thanks, Ric

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
svtmesoon,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my car as of right now. I got a great car and I'm happy about that since a few people have had some real problems with them. I test drove a 98 and a 99 before I bought my car and my thoughts were mixed. The one I like the best out of them all was the 98 which I almost bought but I couldn't swallow the miles. The 99 I drove had some REAL problems. The rearend clunk was drastic and the power was much less than my 01 GT. I am sure this wasn't a 99 thing,but rather this particualr car. Of course the dealership I tested it at was still asking way more than it was worth and had no intentions of fixing it.:rolleyes: This car only had 6000 miles on it and was beat. I definetly noticed a big difference in power in the 01 over my GT. I had o/r h,4:10's,tri-ax,k&n on my GT and this car would have no problem walking that car. The seats are also that much damn better on the new cobras to. Below 3500 r's or so it really doesn't feel that strong but it gets in the powerband so fast and once there it pulls quite hard. A set of 4:30's would fix that low r problem though. I think I'm gonna go 4:10's on my car because the blower is coming SOON.:lol1: Of course this is why I mentioned the 03. It's gonna have the high end 4v power with crazy pull down low. It WILL be the best mustang cobra ever made. If I were you though I'd wait 2 months and grab a beautiful 01 that someone trades in for a 03. You'll be glad you waited.

svtmesoon

Established Member
ttafb

It sounds like you have yourself a fine ride there. I sure hope that I'm that pleased when I get mine. I think that I will hold off for an 01. It has eveything that I want, the right colors(for me), new body style, warranty. I still have my 96 GT, (and 69 Road Runner if I wanna go really fast) so I won't be without. I've been waiting for months now, what's a few more.
If I could ask, how many miles were on the 98, and how much was it? I can't consider a 98, I like the new bodies way too much.
Thanks to you and Jimbo, as both of you gently suggested the 01, when I was thinking 99. I really feel, now, that the 01 is for me. It sure feels good to have people that you don't even know, looking out for you.
Ric :thumbsup:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
The 98 had a hair under 50k miles on it and my gt only had about 8k on it at the time. I love the way the 96-98 cobras look but mainly because of the front end. I like the 99+ up over all more. I'm thinking of buying some body peices off the 03 for my car in the coming months though. I really like the rear of the 03. I like my front facia better and either the 03 hood or the 00R hood. And the 03 wheels or the R wheels. Decisions.

KsCobraGirl

Here is a copy of my first post on...Might give you an idea on price, and extra's offered. NOTE: Not all COBRA'S come with the MACH sound systems....
I also wanted a red 1999 with the darker interior. Last month I was in K.C. (I live in Wichita...about 200 miles) when from the highway I was lucky enough to see one sitting at a dealer. After test drive I had to have this car. I was verry lucky! It was exactly what I wanted....
Red, 1999, convert. midnight black leather seats, power lumbar supports, MACH 460 sound system, CD, Remote keyless entry. Red painted interior panels........This car even says Cobra !!!
A snake lovers dream....come true.......
I do know that my computer has been reprogramed, as far as the other recall Item's I'm still checking. What did they say/who said the warranty coverage was no longer in effect? I would be interested to know....
I'm also checking on production info, and something I found in the maintenance book, showing a new engine at 30,000 miles.... The car had 33,000 when purchased....34,000 now.....

I paid $22,300 for my new baby, before I added theft gurad, dealers fee's, and other BS...... However that was CASH price, (I never understood purchasing a car, and having a bank own it before me...)
I can say that, I have had this car well up over 120 before backing out of it, and I can say mine has no vibration problems..... Or any other problems...
However I have heard a "clunck noise" from time to time. At first I thought it was only when releasing the clutch...Now I have heard it at other times... After listening to it, I think it's coming from the traction bar...which could just be the norm... I do know that having the traction control system on or off makes no difference....
It's not loud, and I haven't heard it often.....
But I'm having it checked out just to be sure...I'll let ya know if it turns out to be anything......Hope this helps !!!
Now that I have a new baby, anyone want to help me name mine..... I dont know about going from working on cars, to making brownies.... However I'm sure I could come up with something interesting for your help......

Users who are viewing this thread