• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Decided to do terminator top end swap on my 97

Discussion in 'SN95 Cobras' started by JRMotorsports55, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JRMotorsports55

JRMotorsports55 Member Established Member

Founds a lot of parts for good prices used, so I will be doing C heads and terminator top end/front end on my 97. I'd rather have the OEM parts availability vs. some off the shelf kit (not knocking any vendors, just my preference), as well as the intercooler option that is not available with the Kenne Bell (I prefer the roots style blower to the centrifugal, again nothing against the centrifugals, just my choice). I have already gathered a lot of the big hitter items, just need to source a lot of the little bits. This will definitely take a while, as I have to finish my current project car first.

Jason

2. laddanator

laddanator Active Member Established Member

I'm actually getting ready to swap an 04 Cobra setup into my 96 Mystic. I haven't decided if I'm going to use my wiring, and computer, or go all out and do it all 04. I have all the parts to do it either way.

3. JRMotorsports55

I'm going to keep my wiring/ECU, as I do not have a complete take-out engine, just buying the top end parts that are needed.

4. crazycarlo

crazycarlo Well-Known Member Established Member

Your best bet for parts will be the classifieds section here and other mustang specialty places that deal in parting cars out. There are a few small items which arent made anymore and may be difficult to find. Finding every last bit can take a while. It took me months to complete my swap.

you will need to have a power steering hose made with one end with the 03 fitting (pump) and one end the 98 fitting (hydraboost). And Kenne Bell is a twin screw and can be intercooled. Your thinking about Vortech which is a centifugal.

I had a centrifugal on my car before the Eaton swap. Both were fun. I wish I had of kept the vortech. Alot simpler and mine was intercooler and blow through.

5. SnakeBitten07

SnakeBitten07 Active Member Established Member

Good stuff! Sub'd for updates.

6. RedTwilight

RedTwilight Shinigami Akakage Established Member

I'll be watching you guy's progress. So keep the threads updated.

I also have started collecting parts to do the swap. I plan on using my wiring and ECU as well. Still have a lot of parts to collect!

CrazyCarlo - I believe you can still use the 96-98 power steering hose and pump. It'll just have to be bent in some areas for clearance. At least that's what I read on the internet! LOL

Good luck with the swap guys!

7. crazycarlo

crazycarlo Well-Known Member Established Member

I used the 03 pump which is why i had a hose made. I cant remember why i think it was because if you try to use the 98 PS pump the outlets and inlets are in some places that make it very difficult. But its been a while and I no longer have the car.

Its a fun swap esp if you have the time and an area to do it in. And dont get me wrong I loved the car with that setup. But my car was down for a long time due to the swap and my son was born during that time. I wish I had of just kept the vortech on there and added 4.10's and then just drove it and enjoyed it.

8. JRMotorsports55

Carlos, thanks for the input. I have not seen a intercooler available for the kenne bell 96-98 setup. I know you can intercool the Centri setups, just not the way I wanted to go.

I'm going to try to keep my stock PS pump, and work from there. Not worried about any fab work involved, that's what makes it fun.

Jason

9. ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy Huffing Ether Established Member

I love seeing these threads, its badass to see a eaton/kenne bell/whipple sitting under the hood. Hope it goes well, and looking forward to seeing more. I might get around to doing a Kenne Bell Mammoth swap in the neverending project future lol.

10. JRMotorsports55

Thanks, I'm excited. it's going to be a while before it's done, but I can't wait to drive it!

Jason

11. Lundy37

Lundy37 lundy Established Member

nice,good luck with it man

12. Prototype007

Prototype007 Active Member Established Member

I still don't understand why KB never made an intercooled option. So much market wouldn't have been lost if it had been made the same time the blower kit was introduced.

13. RedTwilight

RedTwilight Shinigami Akakage Established Member

My thinking as well!
    But the added benefit now is the swap to better heads.

14. PACIFICGREENSVT

PACIFICGREENSVT Well-Known Member Established Member

15. ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy Huffing Ether Established Member

I agree a 100% on this. 1996MysticKB made that custom intercooler for his little 1.5 and made 470rwhp on 15 psi for a few $$$. You cant tell me a 600hp B head Cobra 2.1 wouldnt be sexy!!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015