decently priced compression tester for 4v 4.6?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what kit are you guys using? Is the one from HF any good?

I'd rather pick up a kit and just have it vs using a beat to shit loaner kit from autozone. Looking for a kit that already has the right adapter to thread into our heads.

would like to give the motor a checkup when I do plugs here shortly.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Can't tell you if it's good per se but I'm sure it will do the job reasonably well for you.

And the 4V's have 14 mm thread diameter on the plugs. It's a common size.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Can't tell you if it's good per se but I'm sure it will do the job reasonably well for you.

And the 4V's have 14 mm thread diameter on the plugs. It's a common size.

so long as it's consistent I guess. I dont really care if the cylinder is 180 and it says 170, so long as if all the cylinders are truly 180 it says they're all 170. Im more concerned about compression relative to each other to show me if a cylinder has an issue or not.

MG0h3

Established Member
While it would be nice to have, I’d just borrow one from Oreilleys or Napa if they offer it.

I’ve picked up virtually brand new stuff there when redoing my AC system

Some things just wouldn’t get used enough to justify buying.

I did rent one item which I can’t recall what was (telling) and I just kept it so they keep the “deposit” which is the purchase price anyways.

See. I don’t even know what the **** it was and prob haven’t used it since.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
While it would be nice to have, I’d just borrow one from Oreilleys or Napa if they offer it.

I’ve picked up virtually brand new stuff there when redoing my AC system

Some things just wouldn’t get used enough to justify buying.

I did rent one item which I can’t recall what was (telling) and I just kept it so they keep the “deposit” which is the purchase price anyways.

See. I don’t even know what the **** it was and prob haven’t used it since.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
ill check the store and see what it actually is but looks like it might not be long enough for our valve covers as the loaner doesnt seem to have an extension

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The HF one, at least the one I got years ago, is long enough to reach down to the 4V plug bores. The problem is you can't really secure it down in the bore very well- you rely on the hose and fitting to thread it in. You'll want to tape it up so it will unthread rather than spinning. Better yet I would recommend making a standoff/spacer that goes down in the bore that you can connect your hose to. You can make one with an old spark plug and some pipe if you're handy.

My experience is it isn't that precise, but enough to let you know if a cylinder is toast or not. Had an issue with the check valve at one point but was able to fix it. Typical HF stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread