Decent head unit to replace factory nav

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I was thinking about replacing my factory nav with something that does bluetooth to iPhone and charges iPhone. I'd like something that works with the factory nav/GPS wiring too, if possible. i.e. no tapping additional wires. I am happy with the system now as far as sound goes, but may upgrade speakers later on.

Suggestions as to good systems to look at without dropping a fortune? What I am really wondering is if any of these newer systems will work with the existing harnesses (via adapter or otherwise) or am I going to have to locate and tap the VSS, parking brake and backup wiring like my older AVIC.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
why not just get the phone charger? Plus it already has an auxiliary in the arm rest for iPhone/MP3.

I just replaced the door speakers and WOW what a difference. You can tell the OEM speakers were made in mexico LOL

Doc Vegas

Established Member
why not just get the phone charger? Plus it already has an auxiliary in the arm rest for iPhone/MP3.

I just replaced the door speakers and WOW what a difference. You can tell the OEM speakers were made in mexico LOL

AGREED, the factory speakers should be embarrassing for Ford. They are the cheapest, crappiest speakers I have ever seen. I was in amazement by how BAD that system sounded stock, the new door speakers REALLY helped. Not nearly the best stereo I have heard, but world's about the 99-cent store speakers Ford put in this $60k car....

DGladhill

Established Member
AGREED, the factory speakers should be embarrassing for Ford. They are the cheapest, crappiest speakers I have ever seen. I was in amazement by how BAD that system sounded stock, the new door speakers REALLY helped. Not nearly the best stereo I have heard, but world's about the 99-cent store speakers Ford put in this $60k car....

You get a lot of car for the money, gonna skimp in some places.

:poke:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
You get a lot of car for the money, gonna skimp in some places.

:poke:

Man, that is thin. Come on, the difference between the crappiest speakers they could find and a reasonably good pair is like $40. We have the Navigation system with was a couple thousand dollar option. I am not buying that Ford was making a reasonable decision on using $1 speakers instead of $40 speakers because they worried the buyer would be turned off by an extra $39 on a $60,000 car... I would say "lazy" or "overlooked" is more the more likely explanation.

Imatk

Established Member
Man, that is thin. Come on, the difference between the crappiest speakers they could find and a reasonably good pair is like $40. We have the Navigation system with was a couple thousand dollar option. I am not buying that Ford was making a reasonable decision on using $1 speakers instead of $40 speakers because they worried the buyer would be turned off by an extra $39 on a $60,000 car... I would say "lazy" or "overlooked" is more the more likely explanation.

Well it's not so much that they would charge the customer the extra 39 dollars.

It's about profit margin.

And 39 dollars on thousands of cars makes A LOT of margin.

They have to actually make money on the car... so they can pay the workers... execs... ad agencies... etc. etc. etc.

So if they can shave off money on speakers that most people wouldn't care about (I'm included in that since I have a perforated ear drum and hearing loss) then they'll do it.

Tell you a neat story.

My friend bought a 2005 Mustang but I didn't because I didn't have the cash yet and waited until 2006.

So for 2005 there were these little plastic bevels on the rear seat belts. The bevels covered the hole that the belt came out of on the parcel shelf.

In 2006 (my car) they omitted them. Probably because those two little plastic bevels that NO ONE would really notice or care about saved them money.

On my 2006 on the hood release, there was a nice little yellow rubber end on the release.

On my 2007 GT500 (and I suspect on all other 2007 model Mustangs) that little rubber end is gone and it's just bare black metal.

They cut where they think no one will care or notice.

shelby2

Established Member
I actually installed the Kicker Performance package and it sounds incredible! The extra amp slides under glove box (you can't see it) sub tucks neatly and takes up hardly any room. I've had multi thousand dollar systems and the kicker sounds comparable to those systems, at a fraction of the cost. Best part is you can save a few dollars and get a kit off Shelbys EBay auction site. My money keep head unit upgrade speakers. You'll be very happy.
Mark;-)

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Well it's not so much that they would charge the customer the extra 39 dollars.

It's about profit margin.

And 39 dollars on thousands of cars makes A LOT of margin.

So if they can shave off money on speakers that most people wouldn't care about (I'm included in that since I have a perforated ear drum and hearing loss) then they'll do it.

Well, sorry to hear about your challenge, but I doubt the majority of buyers opting for the expensive Nav Package have the same disability issues. As far as $39 x thousands of cars, sorry, that again is a VERY thin margin. I am an engineering professor at a large university, I would hope my students have a better sense of mathematics...

Imatk

Established Member
Well, sorry to hear about your challenge, but I doubt the majority of buyers opting for the expensive Nav Package have the same disability issues. As far as $39 x thousands of cars, sorry, that again is a VERY thin margin. I am an engineering professor at a large university, I would hope my students have a better sense of mathematics...

If you are an engineering professor you should know that it's cumulative.

Do you really think that the speakers in the Mustang are the ONLY car they go into?? How do you think bulk contracts work?

Sounds to me like you're just pissed off.

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
If you are an engineering professor you should know that it's cumulative.

Do you really think that the speakers in the Mustang are the ONLY car they go into?? How do you think bulk contracts work?

Sounds to me like you're just pissed off.

I am and I am.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Guys, I do appreciate the responses, but none of them address my #1 concern. I wonder if there is a "plug and play" head unit out there. I do not mind splicing a new head unit to a 08 Mustang adapter to retain nav functionality. I'd rather not hunt down wires in the cars harness to tap (i.e. VSS and backup and parkiung brake) if it can be avoided.

Yeah, I use the aux in the armrest. But, by the time I get to work (using Waze) the phone is half drained. And trying to access songs from the phone is downright dangerous. And I'd like hands free phone too without some cheesy adapter.

Best options?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I'm not a huge audiophile, so this is what I plan on going with. I've heard great things about it. And PM American Muscle for a discount code. I think it knocks like $50 off.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-gps-nav-0509.html

Also, I'd like to do this:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/kic-s.htm

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll look into it, though I am leaning towards a Kenwood or Pioneer or Alpine.

I think the 2008 utilizes canbus and I want to make sure everything works like OEM before dropping coin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread