Decent body shop in MA?

Blue'87GT

Established Member
I'm needing to have some collision repair done to my '95 GT. I'm not looking for a $4K total paintjob--just a fender replaced and front bumper repainted. Is there any decent body shops near Bedford/Lexington area that any of you have used?

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
In Woburn ... KEANES AUTO BODY

In Billerica ... DIX AUTO BODY

SvtSmitty

Established Member
Phaze II Auto Body
(978) 692-9459
130 N Main St
Westford, MA 01886

had a complete nose done on my old 95 gt, came out mint couldnt even tell the rest of the car wasnt painted it matched so well

Blue'87GT

Established Member
Thanks for the shop tips folks. I'll be hitting up some of them for a price, etc. Thanks again.

ponynx

Established Member
just keep in mind that you get what you pay for !!!!!!!!! just because its a good price does not mean it will be a good job. ask lots of questions about the paint line that will be used, will they add the flex additive to the clear when refinishing the front cover(its a must !)? WARRANTY? what type of primer ? will it be wet sanded and polished when done? will there be blending into the adjacent panels for proper color matching? if the door will be blended into with it be disassembled or masked up when refinished? usually the shop that is the cheapest does the worst quality ! also will they be using aftermarket parts ? oem? used? i think you get the idea.............

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Are you paying out of pocket or is this an insurance claim? If its insurance get a list of their preferred shops. This will benefit you because if there is a problem with the repairs your ins. co. will help you resolve them with the shop because they guarantee the work. If you go to a non preferred shop they won't guarantee anything from the shop and if the work sucks then you are on your own to fight with the shop to have it done right.

Blue'87GT

Established Member
The insurance is paying for the fender, but not for an OEM part, so I'll be coughing up the extra for an OEM part. I'm going to have the bumper refinished at the same time, as mine has the typical clearcoat peel going on. I do have the "preferred" list from the insurance company, but some shops listed are questionable (ex MAACO), so I'm not sure which ones on their list to trust.

I have a buddy who worked in a body shop for several years before coming into the AF who can hang a fender. He's offered to help me out if I want to try some of the work myself. Am I better off buying the fender myself and taking it down to a body shop to be painted--then installing it onto my car?

Thanks for the tips on what to look for. I'll be sure to ask about the flex agent--good tip! Also, what brands of paint should I be looking for? In the long run (next winter) i'll more than likely be having the rest of the car repainted as the original paint is in rough shape (small scratches). Should I hold off on the front bumper until the total repaint, and just have the fender fixed now?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
What insurance company? I was talking about a shop in my first post to you, not parts. If the a/m fender doesn't fit the shop will get an oem and your company will pay for it as long as the shop shows the appraiser why it won't fit. I agree, Maaco is horrible no matter what you hear. Some of the shops on the list are good though. You can hold off on the bumper if you want as long as its not hanging off the car causing a possible hazard.

Have the shop do all the work. You aren't paying for it so let them handle it. The door and hood need to blended for a color match and a shop needs to do that. Its possible that you have hidden damage that wasn't visible on the first estimate. The shop will have their licensed appraiser take care of that for you with insurance.

ponynx

Established Member
stay away from insurance shops, they give a discount to the companies for getting the work but the shop needs to make up for that loss of cash so they will cut corners on your car. insurance recommended shops you should stay away from at all times !!!!! as far as refinishing products , spies hecker,sikkens, and ppg in that order are quality products .............IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL NOT HELP YOU EXCEPT FOR TELLING YOU TO GO BACK TO THE SHOP, THEN THE SHOP WILL SAY TOO BAD, THATS ALL YOUR INSURANCE PAID FOR SO YELL AT THEM !

ponynx

Established Member
stay away from insurance shops, they give a discount to the companies for getting the work but the shop needs to make up for that loss of cash so they will cut corners on your car. insurance recommended shops you should stay away from at all times !!!!! as far as refinishing products , spies hecker,sikkens, and ppg in that order are quality products .............IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL NOT HELP YOU EXCEPT FOR TELLING YOU TO GO BACK TO THE SHOP, THEN THE SHOP WILL SAY TOO BAD, THATS ALL YOUR INSURANCE PAID FOR SO YELL AT THEM ! if you need any help or would like your car repaired properly please give me a call . 603-886-0827 what i stated above is my opinion .

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
ponynx said:
stay away from insurance shops, they give a discount to the companies for getting the work but the shop needs to make up for that loss of cash so they will cut corners on your car. insurance recommended shops you should stay away from at all times !!!!! as far as refinishing products , spies hecker,sikkens, and ppg in that order are quality products .............IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL NOT HELP YOU EXCEPT FOR TELLING YOU TO GO BACK TO THE SHOP, THEN THE SHOP WILL SAY TOO BAD, THATS ALL YOUR INSURANCE PAID FOR SO YELL AT THEM ! if you need any help or would like your car repaired properly please give me a call . 603-886-0827 what i stated above is my opinion .
Not true in most cases. Maybe N.H. is different than MA.

ponynx

Established Member
ma is even worse..............................facts are facts and if you need to learn more about this subject go to autobody online or any other quality autobody website . insurance companies are horrible, period ,and the shops that do work for them are just as bad.just my opinion . ther are many websites that have the info you need about it. not here to debate, just bring all the info to the table.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
ponynx said:
ma is even worse..............................facts are facts and if you need to learn more about this subject go to autobody online or any other quality autobody website . insurance companies are horrible, period ,and the shops that do work for them are just as bad.just my opinion . ther are many websites that have the info you need about it. not here to debate, just bring all the info to the table.

Your opinion that the shops that are on insurance company lists are all horrible is completely inaccurate. Some of the best shops in MA are on lists. I could give examples if you need them. If you are going to bring up all the information at least bring up the truth. These websites you are basing your information on are all biased for either the shop side or insurance side so take what they say very lightly. I have seen them before and they distort the facts to scare the public which often times works. Some referral shops really aren't that great, but to categorize all of them that way is not only inaccurate its very ignorant too. I would expect more from a shop owner.

ponynx

Established Member
the truth is what i said, i guess we can agree to disagree..................

snkbit99

Established Member
Autobody shop

I second Phaze II autobody. I had front end collision work done on my cobra. Came out awesome. Jimmy is an awesome guy to have your work done by.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread