Debris kills boy in stands at monster truck show

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
I got shivers from reading this and watching the news report. No graphic images shown.

TACOMA, Wash. – Debris flew into the grandstands at a monster truck show in Washington state, killing a 6-year-old boy and injuring another spectator, witnesses and fire officials said Saturday.

A red truck came apart while doing doughnuts during the freestyle competition of Friday night's Monster Jam show, the witnesses said. Debris flew 30 to 50 feet over a safety barrier into the stands.

"Parts were falling off and a piece flew up and hit a little boy," Christine Moe told King Television of Seattle.

Fire Department spokeswoman Jolene Davis told The News Tribune of Tacoma she had no details on the nature of the accident or the injuries to the boy and man.

The Pierce County medical examiner's office identified the boy killed as Sabastian Hizey of Puyallup.

Some spectators told the TV station they had to throw cups off the stands to get the attention of medics. The show continued after the boy and man were hurt, and many spectators left.

"They just kept going," Moe said. "We grabbed our kids and just bee-lined out of there."

Laurie Deranleau, 32, a nurse from Westport, told The (Tacoma) News Tribune, "Everybody sitting around thought they should have dropped the show and gave the family some respect. Nobody was paying attention to the show."

The Tacoma Dome, operated by the city, was continuing with four Monster Jam shows on Saturday and Sunday.

The city was working with the event's promoter to investigate the accident and ensure the safety of spectators to the upcoming shows, city spokesman Rob McNair-Huff told the newspaper.

Promoter Feld Motorsports of Aurora, Ill., would not discuss details.

"Our company follows strict safety guidelines designed to protect both spectators and competitors alike," said Bill Easterly, Feld's senior director of operations, in a statement issued Friday night.

Debris kills boy in stands at monster truck show - Yahoo! News

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
just read about that on MSN. How sad...seriously. How many auto events have you been to, thinking you'd be heading home ok that night? You just never know with any event like that.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
That's too bad, you would never think that anything like that could happen. I can't believe they continued with the show the following day without even contacting the family

Cruzer

11 Second 2V
Established Member
Thats a shame:nonono:poor kid had his whole life ahead of him and something that small rob him of that. I wouldnt know what to do if that was my child. I hate hearing things like this.:nonono:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
after watching the video, it sounds like it was one of the drive shaft loops that came off the truck(by what was said). very terrible stuff, and very terrible move by the promoter too.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I think something like this is tragic at the least and how can you just go on like nothing ever happen I swear that America is becoming desensatized to everything that is tragic these days. :nonono:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That is probably it. Just kept on going due to not knowing what else to do. Still sucks, though.

Everyone thinks these events are safe. They forget all the pepole who have died in the spectator stands, over the years, as pieces come flying off these vehicles.

Not just car racing, either. In several sport shooting events in the last few years, spectators have died as a result of truly freak accidents. A boy was killed when a cartridge hang-fired at a pistol competition. When the shooter cycled the action, the cartridge fired, spitting the case out backwards, into the stands, and struck the boy in the head.

I wouldn't stop the events for anything, these tragedies are just pure random chance, but I sure wish there was something that could be done to prevent them. I can't imagine what else could be done, though.

Jim Snover

sounds like shit went down and they had no idea how to react... had no preparation

Users who are viewing this thread