Debating which blower- 2.6h or 2.8 mammoth

da2k17

Established Member
Posted this in the blower bistro but there isnt much traffic there so i havent gotten many responses. im hoping putting it in the cobra specific forum will help that.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/blower-bistro-74/830047-debating-blower-2-6h-2-8-mammoth.html

Ive narrowed it down to these two, i was considering turbo for a while but for the money and what i have already done to the car i think a big blower is a better route for me. i dont want to here whipple this or turbo that, this is the route im going i just want to know which blower is better for what i want.

as it sits now:
posi ported eaton and spray ~17psi
je s/c n20 pistons .020 over, raised comp slightly to 8.7:1
comp s/c n20 cams springs etc
manley valves 1mm bigger
stock crank and rods
arp hardware
lethal triple return
long tubes
t56
irs
and a bunch more, i think thats all thats relevant.
620hp/698tq

what i want:
a little more for the street, im looking for 700-800. as much as i love it, i rarely get to the track. i go maybe twice a year, so it will be nice to make some good passes but its still going to be a street/ weekend car.

i dont care what boost i have to run to make the power as long as im not maxing anything out. Can either of them (2.6h or 2.8 mammoth) get me there on 93? being realistic, i doubt i will ever use race gas. also i want to keep my 4lb lower, what pulley would i need for the blower?

i will also be getting a killer chiller to keep temps down. from what im reading the 2.8 uses a little more power to turn the blower but its capable of more. what is the max on both power wise? just in case i want to do a race tune.

is it ok to run either blower between 20-24psi (im assuming i need that much) all the time? it seems the max for the 2.6 is 24 so depending on what boost it takes to get me to my goal the 2.6 may not be enough, right?

im currently running 105lb injectors now (i got a little ahead of myself, i know), will 80lbers be enough to support 700?

i dont think e85 is a possibility either. i tried it with the eaton but the difference was marginal at best. plus its a 2 hr round trip to get it and i have no way or place to store it, so its impractical for me.

ive had the car for 4 years now, in that time it saw maybe 10,000 miles. 2,500 were breaking in a new motor. im not too worried about pushing it, as its not driven much but i would like it to be reliable ie. not pushing 30psi to get my goals.

so what do you guys think? is it possible to get 700-800 safely with either on 93? also if i do get lucky and am able to get more from it, im ok with that too. But i dont want it pushed to its limits.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Theres no comparison maybe thats why no one is responding...Mammoth

and, FWIW you will make less on the mammoth torque wise than you make now, i have a buddy running 19psi making 650/570...hes shopping for a whipple crusher 2.9 now, lol....i handed him his ass before i even added the crusher inlet.

Last edited:

50q's

Established Member
Apparently you didn't hear him when he said no whipple. And I agree I won't put a whipple on my car either.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Apparently you didn't hear him when he said no whipple. And I agree I won't put a whipple on my car either.

Apparently your retarded because i didnt tell him to get a whipple noob, so maybe your reading comprehension is what should really be questioned.:burn:

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I don't think that with either blower on 93 you will make 700, let alone 800.

+1...everyone making big power uses race gas 100+ octane or E-85...if people claim 700+ on 93 their pretty much full of it or running their motor on borrowed time. My buddy makes 721rwhp on a built 5.0 + 62mm twin's on 93 car makes 1100rwhp on race gas....that just proves how much boost and timing is restricted on 93.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
+1...everyone making big power uses race gas 100+ octane or E-85...if people claim 700+ on 93 their pretty much full of it or running their motor on borrowed time. My buddy makes 721rwhp on a built 5.0 + 62mm twin's on 93 car makes 1100rwhp on race gas....that just proves how much boost and timing is restricted on 93.

A properly setup T/S cobra can make over 700+ HP on 93 pump, but not on a stock motor.

I'm on 14 PSI with the numbers in my sig, i have a dyno tune coming up and a new pulley going to 18-19 PSI, im 100% positive my car will see corrected RWHP numbers in the 700+ range...maybe not torque but we will see. Car will be on 93 pump, no torco. I agree that this isn't the norm, it has to have the right components to make that power safely.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
A properly setup T/S cobra can make over 700+ HP on 93 pump, but not on a stock motor.

I'm on 14 PSI with the numbers in my sig, i have a dyno tune coming up and a new pulley going to 18-19 PSI, im 100% positive my car will see corrected RWHP numbers in the 700+ range...maybe not torque but we will see. Car will be on 93 pump, no torco. I agree that this isn't the norm, it has to have the right components to make that power safely.

Oh i def dont doubt modified/built motors can do it but not without a hefty jump in displacement. It took me 20 psi to make 699/638 on 104...on my stock inleted 2.9....I'll let you know on march 3rd what she makes on 93 pump 18-19psi w/crusher. Hoping for 800+ on 24psi + 104.....and i have dubbed this season..."project kill the stock motor" if that gives you any idea how far im willing to go, lol.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
You can run the Mammoth with 24lbs, pump 93 and torco. But like the others have stated you will not hit over 700 on pump 93 with a stock motor.

da2k17

Established Member
damn...

the only reason i picked KB is im leaning that way and didnt want this to turn into a KB VS Whipple debate like countless other threads. if you can show me some threads where someone is doing what i want with a whipple i would totally read them and consider it, but i want proof not opinion.

i was considering using a can of torco per tank. i did the math quick and for how little i drive the car its a POSSIBILITY. even then id only be going from 93 to 97-98, is that going to make a difference? i dont know.

with the way gas is here in PA were over $4 for 93 now and there saying to expect $5 for regular before summer. we have a bunch of oil refineries/ plants in the philly area shutting down so our state is going to be one of the highest in the country, at least thats what all the papers keep saying. with that plus the cost of torco it may become too much to drive the car.

ive been debating on a motorcycle or a big blower so i think i might go with the bike. i cant justify spending the cash for the blower and not making more than a few HP more. i know it will be more efficient and better and blah blah blah but to me thats not enough to justify it.

i think ill just do the JLT cold air as people are seeing good gains and the killer chiller. i still havent heard back from my tuner but i havent had many people say yea man it will happen so im guessing he will have the same opinion.

im still thinking about it though so if you have some info feel free to share.

does any one have a guess of what the KB would do with my mods on 93? ive never used any type of race gas, how big a difference would it make? say 110 or 116 at 22-25psi?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
damn...

the only reason i picked KB is im leaning that way and didnt want this to turn into a KB VS Whipple debate like countless other threads. if you can show me some threads where someone is doing what i want with a whipple i would totally read them and consider it, but i want proof not opinion.

i was considering using a can of torco per tank. i did the math quick and for how little i drive the car its a POSSIBILITY. even then id only be going from 93 to 97-98, is that going to make a difference? i dont know.

with the way gas is here in PA were over $4 for 93 now and there saying to expect $5 for regular before summer. we have a bunch of oil refineries/ plants in the philly area shutting down so our state is going to be one of the highest in the country, at least thats what all the papers keep saying. with that plus the cost of torco it may become too much to drive the car.

ive been debating on a motorcycle or a big blower so i think i might go with the bike. i cant justify spending the cash for the blower and not making more than a few HP more. i know it will be more efficient and better and blah blah blah but to me thats not enough to justify it.

i think ill just do the JLT cold air as people are seeing good gains and the killer chiller. i still havent heard back from my tuner but i havent had many people say yea man it will happen so im guessing he will have the same opinion.

im still thinking about it though so if you have some info feel free to share.

does any one have a guess of what the KB would do with my mods on 93? ive never used any type of race gas, how big a difference would it make? say 110 or 116 at 22-25psi?

The difference in blowers is what it is, I'm not going to bash kb's...I however would stick with what you got unless you want to run race gas or turn the boost up to 20+psi. I will have my 2.9 crusher dialed in on street gas before I do the race gas tune on big boost this coming Saturday, my previous best on pump was 666/578 STD on the supplied 3.5" pulley with the standard whipple 2.9 inlet...I dunno how much more its going to make but if cracks 700 on pump I will be ecstatic...I'm expecting 770-810 on race gas and 24psi.

And for the record, I seen my buddies car pullied for 28psi on a mammoth make 776/730 on c-16 race gas....he no longer has a mammoth on his car. Every car is different and so are opinions...oh and it had a built vt stroker motor.....go figure.

Last edited:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member

Is this with the 3.5 pulley?

Keep your setup and buy a bike, if you're worried about gas and have a fast car you don't need to spend anymore money on it until worrying about another $10-15 a tank isn't an issue...

GodStang

Established Member
My old setup was 704/66x on pure 100% 93 octane 18.5psi and 16 or 17 degrees timing. Sad thing is we shut down at 6200 rpms so I still had 500rpms left to make power. We thought we were at 6700 and not 6200 so shut down early. So yes it is possible.

As far as blower get the LC and mammoth.

Users who are viewing this thread