Debating which blower- 2.6h or 2.8 mammoth

da2k17

Established Member
Ive narrowed it down to these two, i was considering turbo for a while but for the money and what i have already done to the car i think a big blower is a better route for me. i dont want to here whipple this or turbo that, this is the route im going i just want to know which blower is better for what i want.

as it sits now:
posi ported eaton and spray ~17psi
je s/c n20 pistons .020 over, raised comp slightly to 8.7:1
comp s/c n20 cams springs etc
manley valves 1mm bigger
stock crank and rods
arp hardware
lethal triple return
long tubes
t56
irs
and a bunch more, i think thats all thats relevant.
620hp/698tq

what i want:
a little more for the street, im looking for 700-800. as much as i love it, i rarely get to the track. i go maybe twice a year, so it will be nice to make some good passes but its still going to be a street/ weekend car.

i dont care what boost i have to run to make the power as long as im not maxing anything out. Can either of them (2.6h or 2.8 mammoth) get me there on 93? being realistic, i doubt i will ever use race gas. also i want to keep my 4lb lower, what pulley would i need for the blower?

i will also be getting a killer chiller to keep temps down. from what im reading the 2.8 uses a little more power to turn the blower but its capable of more. what is the max on both power wise? just in case i want to do a race tune.

is it ok to run either blower between 20-24psi (im assuming i need that much) all the time? it seems the max for the 2.6 is 24 so depending on what boost it takes to get me to my goal the 2.6 may not be enough, right?

im currently running 105lb injectors now (i got a little ahead of myself, i know), will 80lbers be enough to support 700?

i dont think e85 is a possibility either. i tried it with the eaton but the difference was marginal at best. plus its a 2 hr round trip to get it and i have no way or place to store it, so its impractical for me.

ive had the car for 4 years now, in that time it saw maybe 10,000 miles. 2,500 were breaking in a new motor. im not too worried about pushing it, as its not driven much but i would like it to be reliable ie. not pushing 30psi to get my goals.

so what do you guys think? is it possible to get 700-800 safely with either on 93? also if i do get lucky and am able to get more from it, im ok with that too. But i dont want it pushed to its limits.

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
19lbs of boost max on 93. I have heard many good things about the non mammoth and its alot easier on you for the install. Def get the liquid cooled either way though. Not sure which pulley up top your gonna need but work your way slowly up to 19, one tank of dirty gas and detonation might say hello.. I recommend chevron. 105s isn't necessary but def always nice to have more than not enough. E85 requires the larger fuel parts. 80s would be fine for sure.

You may hit that 700+ mark with your motor on 19lbs. Prob mid 600s, If your a few shy a stage 2 meth injection will get you there

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
thats what im worried about. i dont want to spend a ton for a nice big blower and not make much more power than i do now, i mean 620/698 out of an eaton is real freaking nice. i cant see switching to a twin screw and not making a significant gain. without spray i make 520/520 so in that sense 650 would be pretty good but its not enough for me to justify spending that amount of money for a bigger blower. i guess i could spray with the KB but im trying to get away from using that, i love the power it makes but i dont trust it.

ive seen a bunch of people say there running over 20 psi on 93 when i was reaserching blowers, hell i even saw a couple that said they were doing it on 91. with enough fuel and not pushing the timing i dont see why over 20psi wouldnt be possible, my eaton pushes 17-18. a more efficient blower will have cooler IAT's plus a killer chiller, i think it will work but im not an expert... thats why im asking for advice form someone who has done it or is doing it.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
You can run 30 psi on pump gas if you want 10* of timing. Either way a more efficent blower that puts down 650 on blower only is worth it over an eaton on spray. I sold my spray when I went to a 3.4

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
You can't run a 4# lower with the 2.8LC Mammoth. Only stock size and the underdrive 6.55" pulleys. Anything else overspins the blower.

da2k17

Established Member
You can run 30 psi on pump gas if you want 10* of timing. Either way a more efficent blower that puts down 650 on blower only is worth it over an eaton on spray. I sold my spray when I went to a 3.4

i know its more efficient and probably a lot safer and less stressful on the motor but for 30hp i just cant justify spending the money on it right now.

You can run pulley combo you would like... as long as it doesn't over spin the blower....18000 max rpms.

if i remember correctly the 4lb and 2.81 spins my eaton to a little over that. with a KB the upper pulley is much bigger, i think it should be well under 18k. that is as long as the calculations work the same way, i dont see why it wouldnt.

mike, do you know of any 2.8s that have gotten over 700 on 93?

da2k17

Established Member
im waiting to here back from my tuner on what he thinks about what i want to achieve.

da2k17

Established Member
Would the addition of a can of torco make a difference for what i want? ive never used the stuff, it looks like i could add one can to 93 and bring it to 98. is that enough of an increase? it wouldn't be too bad on my wallet so i will consider it a viable option for now. i still havent heard back from my tuner....

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
so what do you guys think? is it possible to get 700-800 safely with either on 93? also if i do get lucky and am able to get more from it, im ok with that too. But i dont want it pushed to its limits.

Your gonna be close at 19PSI w/o spray with a KB 2.8

Odds are your gonna need to spray a 50-75 shot to get your numbers on top of the KB 2.8 or switch to E85 to reach over 700+.

I know for sure a higher compression/built motor, 18-19 PSI with all supporting mods will hit over 700 RWHP on Pump gas, just ask Evil03

Question, you say that you don't want to do all this work and be close to the power you already have, you wouldn't want to have 625-675 RWHP at your foot every time you step on it? Thats what your getting, consistent power ALL the time, not just a random number on spray. Imagine stomping whenever you want like the car is spraying all the time, and imagine the whiplash your gonna get when the tires get traction from all the torque.

You won't even feel like your driving the same car anymore when you upgrade, 600+ HP at any given time is a handful, and fun :rockon:

Good luck with your car, don't forget to enjoy the car and do your research before dropping allot of cash on mods.

If you wanted to go all out, slap the KB 2.8 on there and then hit it with spray, hang on.

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
Your gonna be close at 19PSI w/o spray with a KB 2.8

Odds are your gonna need to spray a 50-75 shot to get your numbers on top of the KB 2.8 or switch to E85 to reach over 700+.

I know for sure a higher compression/built motor, 18-19 PSI with all supporting mods will hit over 700 RWHP on Pump gas, just ask Evil03

Question, you say that you don't want to do all this work and be close to the power you already have, you wouldn't want to have 625-675 RWHP at your foot every time you step on it? Thats what your getting, consistent power ALL the time, not just a random number on spray. Imagine stomping whenever you want like the car is spraying all the time, and imagine the whiplash your gonna get when the tires get traction from all the torque.

You won't even feel like your driving the same car anymore when you upgrade, 600+ HP at any given time is a handful, and fun :rockon:

Good luck with your car, don't forget to enjoy the car and do your research before dropping allot of cash on mods.

If you wanted to go all out, slap the KB 2.8 on there and then hit it with spray, hang on.

Im glad to see a positive response. I know what your saying about it being there all the time i would definitely love that. What im saying is that its a lot of money to not really change the overall picture much. I dont get to the track and i dont get on it that much on the street. As a senior criminal justice major my street racing days are over, its just not worth getting cought at this point in my life. Ive always wanted a motorcycle and thats something im debating buying now too, it depends how much i put into the cobra which why i say im not sure its worth it.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Im glad to see a positive response. I know what your saying about it being there all the time i would definitely love that. What im saying is that its a lot of money to not really change the overall picture much. I dont get to the track and i dont get on it that much on the street. As a senior criminal justice major my street racing days are over, its just not worth getting cought at this point in my life. Ive always wanted a motorcycle and thats something im debating buying now too, it depends how much i put into the cobra which why i say im not sure its worth it.

You definitely need to decide which route you want to take with your car, the setup your running now was what i initially planned on doing before i went nuts and put together a huge build. You have a stout setup, once you take the major mod plunge to T/S and possible a fully built motor you have to at least want to keep the car for a while if not forever because of the time and money that goes into it. And once you start, the modding never stops, there is always something to add or replace, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread