Death by C6 Z06

Steve Gunn

Established Member
Both of our driving skills sucked! I missed a shift once, he missed one once.We both bounced off the rev limiters a couple of times. We never lined 'em up clean, but raced from a roll (if you want to call that racing) 4 or 5 times anywhere from a 30mph roll up to 120.

He had his kid in the car, I had mine(late teens). In every gear, he would pull out a half a car on me, but every time he would shift, I'd pull it back. He always started a little ahead. I couldn't come around him, he couldn't pull away. He defenitly had a little more power and less weight, but I was pretty much right at his rear bumper...I'm sure he would walk away above 120 or so, but it was kind of hard to do that on road we were on. (closed course of course :thumbsup: )

I almost wet myself!!! I was expecting to get destroyed, but it didn't happen. Even over my loud ass car, his sounded awesome! His pipes were basically right in my face. His kid was real cool... bouncing up and down with a big smile, he asked if my car was modified. I told him "heads,cam and gears". The dude driving didn't seem real happy. He didn't say a word and gave me the "stink eye". If all things were equal, he should've had a few cars on me through 4 gears. Anyway,he won, I lost.

My car dyno'd 383/375@5900rpm when it was sick (valvetrain issues). It makes considerably more power clean through 6800 now, but I have no idea how much? I have never been to the track with this setup, so I don't know what it runs. It ran 12.7@111 w/2.0 60' with a lid and exhaust "back in the day". It's my daily driver. These were motor runs (no spray).

I bow down to the Z06. With all my mods, I lost to a stock car. :loser: Time to fill the bottle! :beer:

Last edited:

ASSASSIN

03 "DSG" Cobra
Established Member
Good run maybe next time you will fill up the bottle and race him again thats if you see him again either way good run and good loss!!

C6 Z06

Established Member
Steve, you must have well above 383 RWHP now to stay that close. My stock C6 Z raped my modded C6 Z51 with 400 RWHP. Not even close and just to make sure, we swapped drivers and the Z still won by bus lenghts. I wonder what your #'s are now. Still sounds like fun. :beer:

1fastsrt-4

Established Member
Wow, would never race with my kids in the car. Thats fing retarded. I mean heck I know you probably a great driver but you never know what could happen. I am sure they had fun though.

Steve Gunn

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
Steve, you must have well above 383 RWHP now to stay that close. My stock C6 Z raped my modded C6 Z51 with 400 RWHP. Not even close and just to make sure, we swapped drivers and the Z still won by bus lenghts. I wonder what your #'s are now. Still sounds like fun. :beer:

Thanks guys!

When he pulled ahead momentarily in each gear, it was a hard pull, but it only lasted a second. This guy was missing gears, bouncing off the limiter and probably short shifting too. I'm certain one that was well driven would clean my clock definitively. I would assume I'm between 415 and 440 rwhp.

Last edited:

Steve Gunn

Established Member
1fastsrt-4 said:
Wow, would never race with my kids in the car. Thats fing retarded. I mean heck I know you probably a great driver but you never know what could happen. I am sure they had fun though.
He's 18 and yes, it still makes me irresponsible. Sue me.

bunk22

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:

I beat a new C6 Z06 at the 1/8th mile with my 380rwhp C6 Z51.........of course his missing 3rd gear really, really helped out a lot :-D ....and he still ran a quicker mph!!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Steve Gunn said:
In every gear, he would pull out a half a car on me, but every time he would shift, I'd pull it back.

Half a car between shifts? :dw: Were you shifting with your foot or elbow?

C6 Z06

Established Member
bunk22 said:
I beat a new C6 Z06 at the 1/8th mile with my 380rwhp C6 Z51.........of course his missing 3rd gear really, really helped out a lot :-D ....and he still ran a quicker mph!!

Bunk, I have seen some run piss poor times at the track. Alot of guys think you can just mash the go pedal, but with that kind of HP they just get trouble. 3RD gear is the great pull gear in the new Z. I see you have a 05 Tahoe. I just sold my 05 Z71 Tahoe after I bought another C6. The Tahoe was a nice ride. :beer:

bunk22

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
Bunk, I have seen some run piss poor times at the track. Alot of guys think you can just mash the go pedal, but with that kind of HP they just get trouble. 3RD gear is the great pull gear in the new Z. I see you have a 05 Tahoe. I just sold my 05 Z71 Tahoe after I bought another C6. The Tahoe was a nice ride. :beer:

This particular track is horrible. Out of 4 races, I had to let off on 3, otherwise hitting the wall was definitely possible. I just go to get some practice in. The ricers own that place, with burnouts, fart pipes and mighty 10 sec ET's @70! Not all of course but it seems to be the norm.

Love my Tahoe. Its got everything, from GPS/Nav to aftermarket tires/rims. Great ride.

Sorry for the highjack!

Users who are viewing this thread