Dealing with a relationship at a crossroads

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Alright I've been dating a girl for 4 1/2 years and she is currently living with me. We had one break up a couple years ago where I broke it off because I felt like things were stuck in a bad place…she wanted to get married and I wasn't ready. We started arguing all the time and just felt like it wasn't worth all the arguing anymore. We got back together a couple of months later because I felt like we could fix a few of our issues if we just laid it out in front of each other and worked on things. Fast forward another 2 years and I feel like we are back in a similar situation. (things were pretty good for about a year and a half)

She's a great girl most of the time, she's loyal, helps out around the house, has a big heart, good looking etc. but she has a couple quirks that hard to get past. For example, she suffers from anxiety and its overwhelming at times. It creates blow ups between us because there are times I'm just not in the mode to deal with one of her "episodes". Her anxiety leads to a controlling attitude which is one of the reasons why we used to fight all the time. Trying to be controlled is a huge turn off in my book and I don't behave that way with her so I expect the same in return but this is not always the case. I will say she has gotten better about that since we got back together though. I'm not saying she is the only one at fault but these are my sticking points. I know I have my own issues that creates problems as well. Regardless, We both have type "A" personalities and our stubbornness creates fiction between us no matter how many times we try to talk through it.

She still pushes the marriage thing but not as bad as a few years ago. My gut still tells me that I don't want to get married but its reached a point in time where its time to shit or got off the pot. I've been struggling to figure out if I should continue to make this this work for the next year or two to see if I get myself to a point where I'm ready to get married or just cut it off. We are both in our late 20s so if going to happen I would expect in the next year or so. If not, I feel its time for both of us to move on. Quite frankly I have had a brother and best friend get married only to see their situation end in nasty divorces, which I'd rather avoid. Anyone else have a similar situation? What was the outcome?

Last edited:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
You may think that the wedding ring blues is under control. But it ain't. Give her an engagement ring. The ring will buy you at least 1 or 2 years of bliss. I got engaged 18 years ago.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
"For example, she suffers from anxiety "

Run like hell. People want to joke that women are crazy and yours is openly diagnosed.

Plus, women tend to have a mental time line. You pop the question, and she may very well go into baby mode. Maybe you've already talked that out with her, but just something to think of.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Reminds me of my first wife. Bipolar, manic depressive and a whole slew of other medical issues.

RUN!

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
All the advice in the world will not help you with this matter....regardless of all these naysayers at the end of the day you are going to have to think and do what you feel is best for you....if that's leaving then leave....if it's to stay then you have to think about that path and all the trials and tribulations that are on that path. I've been with my woman for 9 years, engaged for 2, has it been easy, not at times but that's life. She's a very anxious person. For 2 years several years ago she barely left the house. We both got to a point where we said if we're going to be together something has to change. We talked, went to see doctors, and got her some help. Now things are different. Sure it's easy to say run but if deep down you think this is who you're supposed to be with then you need to think about all the "if's" and what will lie ahead for you
Good luck with whichever way you decide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jaxbusa

Established Member
If you get married just imagine all those issues but with no sex. People don't change. She will never change. Just do a quick internet search on marriage statistics then get back with us. I have a three step plan that you should follow.

1. Pack her stuff up and tell her to leave.
2. Don't look back.
3. Drink a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Typical SVTP advice. lol

You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it, or not.

My wife use to be on medicine for depression, and we use to get in fights because I have never been depressed a day in my life, so I don't understand how she feels or how I should "help her".

I'm a fixer. If there is something wrong, I'm going to fix it and move on, BUT that's not how depression/anxiety works. There's no fixing it. I've found it's much better to just be a soundboard and listen to her.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'm in a some what similar situation. Girlfriend with anxiety and is also extremely insecure. Realized she's not the one I want to marry. Last 6 months or so I've been trying to figure out how to end it without a massive blow out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm in a some what similar situation. Girlfriend with anxiety and is also extremely insecure. Realized she's not the one I want to marry. Last 6 months or so I've been trying to figure out how to end it without a massive blow out.

In that case, just do it.

Do you trust her not to go nuts? My last one lived with me. I decided on a Sunday I was done. Wednesday morning I told her I was "going to Colorado to ski and would be back on Sunday morning; and at that point I want all of your stuff out and gone by the time I get back."

It was all gone. With the exception of a small dent in the wall where they bumped into it with something, she was out and never heard from her again. Piece of cake.

KEVINS

Established Member
This planet we live on offers a LOT of things to do and most people that get married pigeon hole their lives into the same few things the rest of their entire life. I've never been married but have seen friends get married then divorced and I gotta say that my life is pretty great. I get to travel around the world whenever I want to. I get to meet different people whenever I want to. I get to go out to dinner whenever I want to. I get to try new things whenever I want to. The KEY is to make sure you experience anything/everything that looks interesting to you and more than likely there will be a lot of interesting things to do once you start looking.

Life is a blast if you know how to live it!

ks

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
In that case, just do it.

Do you trust her not to go nuts? My last one lived with me. I decided on a Sunday I was done. Wednesday morning I told her I was "going to Colorado to ski and would be back on Sunday morning; and at that point I want all of your stuff out and gone by the time I get back."

It was all gone. With the exception of a small dent in the wall where they bumped into it with something, she was out and never heard from her again. Piece of cake.
Main problem is that we have mutual friends. So when I go to a party she will most likely be there.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Life is too short to be unhappy. If the life you are living is the life you see you happy future then stay. If not....you know what to do.

Your heart knows, it is the little head that skews the argument.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Life is too short to be unhappy. If the life you are living is the life you see you happy future then stay. If not....you know what to do.

Your heart knows, it is the little head that skews the argument.
Oddly enough. I'm the one in the relationship who isn't all that into sex and she bitches at me about it.

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Haha ya most of these comments were about what I would expect. I think there is 7 or 8 people just saying drop everything and run. Another few that are simpathetic to the situation and 1 or 2 in a similar situatiom. Figured that was coming but its all good advice and offers
perspective.

13Cobra - man does that sound like my situation to a T. I realize things in life are never going to go as planned....it's not a big deal address the issue and move on. People with anxiety seem to put a wall when things get to them and then it becomes something I need to help fix. Sometimes talking to her helps other times I've found it better to leave her alone. It just doesn't seem like a healthy way to be in a relationship though and that's where I'm at with this whole thing. It's a constant flux of what do I need to do to fix this situation for us. Usually a day of silence works then she acts like nothing happened the day after. Just not something I'm willing to deal with if we got married or had kids for that matter. So I've been giving it that few months to see if things improve but they continue to get worse. Which is leading more and more that it's time to move on.

Typical SVTP advice. lol

You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it, or not.

My wife use to be on medicine for depression, and we use to get in fights because I have never been depressed a day in my life, so I don't understand how she feels or how I should "help her".

I'm a fixer. If there is something wrong, I'm going to fix it and move on, BUT that's not how depression/anxiety works. There's no fixing it. I've found it's much better to just be a soundboard and listen to her.

Users who are viewing this thread