Dealership tryna squeeze my wallet dry

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
So I may buy a 2006 Acura TL 6speed and the dealer is trying to charge me some fees. They're as follows:

1. Tag/Registration Fees (estimate) - 498.75
2. Dealer Service Fee - $699.95.

My question is..WTF? I totaled my previous car so now I'm just trying to transfer the tag over to this replacement car. As I understand it ..such a transfer shouldn't cost >$100!

Also are dealer service fees required?? WTF are these about?

stangposse

Established Member
Transferring the plate shouldn't be more than $75.

Dealer Service Fee???? That's total BS right there. Don't let them get you like that.

ruarkkustomz

F8LBITE
Established Member
i had a $500.00 dealer processing fee and all they did was sign the title and give me papers to sign. didn't transfer anything for me. there all con artist. now fighting a 30 warranty on serious motor damage and trying to make me pay for it

oilwell1415

Established Member
Run, don't walk, away from that. That is $1200 of pure profit straight into their pocket for doing nothing. Tell them to drop the charges or you'll go somewhere else.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
walk away.

this is a reflection of how their future customer service will be.

let them know that trying to charge $1000 extra, just cost them a 12,000$ sale.

idiots.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Good advice all lol. I'll continue shopping until they either respond and cooperate or completely remove the fees. A sales associate I spoke to on the phone told me they'll have the sales manager contact me, whatever that means.

Stinger2011

Established Member
Yeah. Smells like bs to me. I bet they atleast drop the "dealership fees" to get you to buy the car. Maybe i'm wrong, though.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Just tell whatever dealer you go with that you'll take care of registration on your own. And screw the dealer service fee...that is just ridiculous.

Just a little tidbit. When I totaled my motorcycle my insurance company(State Farm) gave me a voucher to cover any taxes/registration fees.

-Eric

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Yeah I figured the registration could be handled for <$100 but damn near $500?? Lol wtf I'm already losing confidence in this dealership.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
I understand that but I'm almost certain they factored that into the price of the car and everything else is just extra money to them.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I understand that but I'm almost certain they factored that into the price of the car and everything else is just extra money to them.

That's exactly right. A dealer is always going to come at you with every fee they can think of tacked on at the beginning. Just offer $1100 less for the car and tell them to take it or leave it. There's no shame in walking away. If the car has been sitting there for a while, they'll probably wanna unload it. If they just got it in, they may not take your offer. Either way, don't pay those bogus fees. Also, it makes sense for the dealer to tack on ridiculous fees at the beginning because some people hate negotiating and will just pay it. Just don't be one of those people and you'll be fine.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Sales guy told me about a month on the lot already. I'll see what the manager says and he if wont budge then I'll ask that he take it off the price of the vehicle. If not I guess I'll be searching elsewhere. Although I have to surrender my rental by Friday!

SVT4ME

Established Member
Most people will just pay the fee when told it's standard. I let my feet do the talking and walk if they don't remove them!

s_x_i

Established Member
That's one of the things that chapped my ass about car dealers so bad I decided to get my own lot and do it right.

I will be the only honest, ethical, enthusiast owned car lot within 500 miles of here :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread