Dealership installing catback at purchase, wants to alter tune, wont void warranty?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I just ordered my 2015 yesterday (base GT, Magnetic, PP), and as part of the deal they will be installing the new Ford Racing/Borla Sport x-pipe/catback system. They have one tech who has been there for a long time that does all of their Roush/Saleen/SVT work that said they will have to alter the tune after installing the catback, which is a first for me.

When I asked about that affecting the warranty they insisted that as long as they do it, it will not affect my warranty.

I've always been hesitant with tunes for the first year or two at least to make sure any issues that come up are covered, and this has me a bit skeptical. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever had their dealership do similar?

If I let them tune it, I'm thinking of getting them to put that in writing then just making sure that any warranty work goes through that dealership.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Modifications shouldn't void your warranty. However, if your modification is the cause of a defect, you can't expect Ford to cover it. Hope this makes sense.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Modifications shouldn't void your warranty. However, if your modification is the cause of a defect, you can't expect Ford to cover it. Hope this makes sense.

I understand what you meant, but I'm actually concerned with the tune change itself. That's usually a deal breaker for warranty work, but the dealership is saying that the warranty wont be affected if *they* change the tune.

And not just putting in a FRPP canned tune like the 2011-2014's had available... he wants to adjust the tune himself. I've never heard of a dealership doing that.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I've never needed one with a catback before... but that is apparently part of their install. The guy wants to change the tune if he installs it.

Sounds almost like they don't really want to work on the car and are trying to scare you off??

50blackout

Established Member
Im actually interested to see what they would "change" or "alter." These cars have widebands and there should be no reason to change anything in the tune if the change in the exhaust is after the cats. Keep us posted....

Zemedici

Established Member
no tune is needed for a catback.

Have it installed at a different dealership that is not afraid to mod cars. It seems they're either trying to scare you off, or are not sure what they're doing/getting themselves into.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I definitely don't think it is an attempt to scare me off. The guy mentioned it casually when he brought my salesman the quote for install while we were bargaining, he just said "The install will include removing the resonator and adjusting the tune a little for the reduced backpressure". I'm the one that steered the conversation toward warranty, and he just said not to worry about it as it wouldn't affect my warranty as long as they did it.

I certainly don't think he was trying to play any games with me or mislead me, it just didn't feel right based on everything else I've heard. This was the aftermarket manager, so I may approach the service manager about it to see what he has to say.

I wont know more until the car is finished and shipped, which probably wont be until some time in March.

Zemedici

Established Member
I definitely don't think it is an attempt to scare me off. The guy mentioned it casually when he brought my salesman the quote for install while we were bargaining, he just said "The install will include removing the resonator and adjusting the tune a little for the reduced backpressure". I'm the one that steered the conversation toward warranty, and he just said not to worry about it as it wouldn't affect my warranty as long as they did it.

I certainly don't think he was trying to play any games with me or mislead me, it just didn't feel right based on everything else I've heard. This was the aftermarket manager, so I may approach the service manager about it to see what he has to say.

I wont know more until the car is finished and shipped, which probably wont be until some time in March.

Just have somewhere else put the catback on, or hell, do it yourself. The computer's logging systems will adjust for a catback automatically, hence the reason there's no tune needed.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
OP: Never heard a dealer say something as crazy as "a tune is ok if we do it". The only thing that would've made any sense is if they were talking about using the limited warranty FRPP tune, but as of now none exists for the S550.

I'd say don't let them touch it ...

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Which dealership are you buying the car from?

Paul.

Dewey in Ankeny. This will be the 4th purchase from them in the last 10-12 years. Never had any issues with them, and I don't think they're playing any games right now either. I just don't think he is right about it not voiding the warranty.

MNCobra

Established Member
i would be concerned that you're not able to bring the car in to that dealer for some odd reason in the future how that would affect your warranty agreement....

Zemedici

Established Member
if it is a ford racing part and it is installed by a ford dealership it will not void your warranty

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
It's a catback. Even if its not Ford Racing and not installed by them it won't void your warranty.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I know the catback wont void it, it is them tampering with the tune that I'm afraid will. I'm thinking I'll just skip it and pick one up later if they insist on the tune change.

Users who are viewing this thread