Dealers License in the NY area?

CobraJay

Established Member
How's it going guys? I'm looking to purchase a car like NOW. Anyone go to the auctions out here? Adesa, Manheim??

I'd love to get my hands on my own license to sell cars here and there but can't get a hook up anywhere. I see all these freaking dirtbags with licenses and I'm like how the F are they selling all these cars and have a license and I can't get my hands on one? They have to be doing something under the rug kinda thing. IDK :shrug:

coposrv

Established Member
My sisters boy friend has a small lot. I asked him one how to get a dealer license. In MA you need a certain amount of lot frontage. An office and a few other things I can't remember. For what I wanted it for it wasn't worth it.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Check the Internet for more information. This is the info I have for you;

Obtaining a dealer's license is not difficult. However, there are several steps that need completion before a license can be issued. How to Get a Car Dealer's License in New York
Step 1

Obtain your surety bond. If you are going to sell new cars, you will need a $50,000 bond. If you are selling only pre-owned cars, your bond has to be at least $10,000. The application for the surety bond is located in the References.

Step 2

Complete the New York Car Dealer's application (VS1). The link is located in the Resources.

Step 3

Mail your application to:
Bureau of Consumer and Facility Services
Application Unit
PO Box 2700
Albany NY 12220-0700

Physical Address for Express Mail:
Vehicle Safety - Core 1, Room 110
Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12228

Step 4

Receive your car dealer's license. The processing time is from 6-8 weeks.

CobraJay

Established Member
Hmmm when I looked into it about a year ago it was a crazy amount of money, plus you need a lot. Thanks for the info man. I'm going to dig further. Figured I'd ask here incase someone has gone through it and they can give me the in's and out's. What to look for ex ex. Tnx again

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Look into getting a Wholesalers license.

If you're doing this for personal use only/ you will get fined and sued. And it's easy for them to figure out

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Look into an Indiana wholesaler license. They are/were super easy to obtain. Indiana dealer plates were popping up everywhere. They may have cracked down though.

FWIW, I find better deals on CL than I do at auctions. Especially with it being tax season right now.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Look into an Indiana wholesaler license. They are/were super easy to obtain. Indiana dealer plates were popping up everywhere. They may have cracked down though.

FWIW, I find better deals on CL than I do at auctions. Especially with it being tax season right now.

Yea- manheim- Adessa, all the major auction houses have cracked down on this.

I agree- cheap cars that need a little work on Craigslist can be gold mines

Users who are viewing this thread