Dealer wants me to resign lease contract.

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
Hey guys. Ever heard of a dealership wanting you to resign a leasing contract because they set the residual value too low?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I would think that would only be problematic for them if you decide to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Think I have any legal obligation to resign?

I doubt it. You've got a signed contract already. I'd go compare terms on your current contract with the new one and refuse to sign unless the new one is clearly in your favor. It's not your problem that they don't know how to write the lease contract correctly the first time. It's actually their business to know.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Think I have any legal obligation to resign?
You have a contract right? Not sure how you could be obligated to resign the lease if your fulfilling your obligations by the contact stipulations. I could be wrong but I really dont see how they could make you do it legally. Just don't miss a payment or be late otherwise im sure they will come after the car first chance they get.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't listen to them, they are wrong.

If the residual is set different than what the manufacturer assigns to the vehicle, then it is not a cashable contract, therefore it's non-binding.

You can either re-sign at the corrected residual, or return the car. It's still their vehicle until there is a cashable contract.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Don't listen to them, they are wrong.

If the residual is set different than what the manufacturer assigns to the vehicle, then it is not a cashable contract, therefore it's non-binding.

You can either re-sign at the corrected residual, or return the car. It's still their vehicle until there is a cashable contract.

Does that mean he currently can drive it for free?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does that mean he currently can drive it for free?

I mean, techincally, no....but it could play out that way for a minute.

The dealership can come pick it up at any time, as it is their vehicle.

That article is about 80% accurate.

Consumers sign a notice that more or less says "if for whatever reason this contract is non-cashable, then both parties agree to correct the contract or terminate it."

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
I had called the leasing company to see what their take on it was and they didn't seem to shed much light on the situation. They did say it's possible the dealer would be responsible for the difference in residual value and that may be why they want me to resign.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had called the leasing company to see what their take on it was and they didn't seem to shed much light on the situation. They did say it's possible the dealer would be responsible for the difference in residual value and that may be why they want me to resign.

Is this a new, or pre-owned car? I assumed it was new.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Consumers sign a notice that more or less says "if for whatever reason this contract is non-cashable, then both parties agree to correct the contract or terminate it."

If he chose not to agree to the new terms he could basically return the car get his money back if he put any down or trade in and be out of pocket nothing because the contract would not be valid contract. Would this be correct?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Then the residual has no bearing on the dealership, it's setup through the leasing company and the manufacturer. The only way it effects the dealership is that they do not have a cashable contract.

So they still own the car.

If he chose not to agree to the new terms he could basically return the car get his money back if he put any down or trade in and be out of pocket nothing because the contract would not be valid contract. Would this be correct?

Correct. As long as only a short period of time has passed and has not done any damage, or racked up a substantial amount of miles. At that point the dealership will charge him some amount.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

Some advice from Florida attorneys in the below links.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/dealer-wants-me-to-sign-new-contract-with-all-new--753003.html

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/car-dealer-wants-to-rewrite-signed-lease-agreement-2251999.html

I'd speak to an attorney.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
Ok so I'm thinking I have them send a copy of the new contract via certified mail and have them highlight any errors they are claiming. I can then compare to my current contract to see how I proceed. Wow this is frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread