Dealer Cost v Invoice on Hellcat

El_Joker

Established Member
I would consider that a problem, wouldn't you? You're down 2lbs. in boost with a new supercharger. That doesn't bother you? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

No. Maybe I worded my post wrong or you misread.

The previous SC had been making the common bearing noise. I hadn't worried about it too much at first. Over time I started paying attention. When the car was new it was pretty common to see 11 PSI. By the time I took it in to the dealer it was only getting 9, sometimes 10; never hit 11 again.

Replacement is constant at 10 PSI. If I ran it on the high side of 4th I might still see 11. A single pound right now isn't worrying me.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No. Maybe I worded my post wrong or you misread.

The previous SC had been making the common bearing noise. I hadn't worried about it too much at first. Over time I started paying attention. When the car was new it was pretty common to see 11 PSI. By the time I took it in to the dealer it was only getting 9, sometimes 10; never hit 11 again.

Replacement is constant at 10 PSI. If I ran it on the high side of 4th I might still see 11. A single pound right now isn't worrying me.
Yeah, the post was kind of confusing. Wasn't sure if you were talking about before or after you got the new supercharger. No biggie.
Glad to hear that all is well with the new supercharger and you're enjoying your car.
BTW, what did you get? Charger or Challenger? M6 or A8?

El_Joker

Established Member
No worries, I don't always type the best details from my phone.

Got a Charger. Had a TVS 5.0 before so I wanted power but 4-doors. As far as enjoying it...someone gave it a nice kiss with a Mercedes the other day. :mad:.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks bro.
Sorry about your car. Good luck going forward.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
There are a number of CTS-V guys on their third supercharger, but others are still on original. Seems to be the same thing here, and not a big deal. To get replacement on the V, it had to sound like marbles rolling around. A simple tick wasn't enough, lol. Out of all those, no one mentioned any actual damage as a result, and warranty covered everything.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
As someone that owns a 14 Shelby and a 15 scat pack not a hc one thing I can say for certain.
The build quality on the ford is far better. The dodge is a great dd but it's not as solid a car. I'd guess the hc build to be right on par with my scat pack.

Shelby 9.5/10
Scat pack 8/10

Is a hc worth 55k. **** yeah.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
****As for the others that say it isn't a problem,...tell the guys on the Hellcat forum that. Some of them are getting a third supercharger. Obviously it's an issue if SRT is saying to replace the supercharger, no?? I don't think that SRT would be just throwing superchargers on the cars for no reason. At least, I'd like to think not.
Don't forget, not all Hellcat owners are on the forums or know about the supercharger issues. So who knows how many are out there doing damage to their supercharger day to day.

***IHI is working on a fix. Hopefully it's a quick one.\m/

Don't get me wrong. There is definitely a supercharger problem but I think the scope and magnitude of it are greTly overblown.

IMO, I think the likely scenario for Dodge essentially replacing blowers without hesitation is the following:

I suspect there likely was a batch of bad bearings somewhere in the mix. However, due to bad record keeping (or something along those lines) neither Dodge or IHI can pinpoint exactly where they got installed (this really isn't that much of a stretch considering they can't seem to figure out if the car takes 6 or 7 quarts of oil).

Rather than deal with a huge PR nightmare of their Halo cars start breaking left and right or trying to train techs across the country how to properly diagnose they simply replace them if it's even remotely in question. No real big loss in their part of the unit passes inspection back at IHI. Simply refurb and throw back in the production stock.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
There are a number of CTS-V guys on their third supercharger, but others are still on original. Seems to be the same thing here, and not a big deal. To get replacement on the V, it had to sound like marbles rolling around. A simple tick wasn't enough, lol. Out of all those, no one mentioned any actual damage as a result, and warranty covered everything.
I did not know that.

As someone that owns a 14 Shelby and a 15 scat pack not a hc one thing I can say for certain.
The build quality on the ford is far better. The dodge is a great dd but it's not as solid a car. I'd guess the hc build to be right on par with my scat pack.
Shelby 9.5/10
Scat pack 8/10
Is a hc worth 55k. **** yeah.
LOL
Heck yeah indeed! (I'm kinda wanting one badly.)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong. There is definitely a supercharger problem but I think the scope and magnitude of it are greTly overblown.
IMO, I think the likely scenario for Dodge essentially replacing blowers without hesitation is the following:
I suspect there likely was a batch of bad bearings somewhere in the mix. However, due to bad record keeping (or something along those lines) neither Dodge or IHI can pinpoint exactly where they got installed (this really isn't that much of a stretch considering they can't seem to figure out if the car takes 6 or 7 quarts of oil).
Rather than deal with a huge PR nightmare of their Halo cars start breaking left and right or trying to train techs across the country how to properly diagnose they simply replace them if it's even remotely in question. No real big loss in their part of the unit passes inspection back at IHI. Simply refurb and throw back in the production stock.
I don't think that's the case.
I'm pretty sure Dodge and IHI know it's a known issue and according to someone on the Hellcat forum, the "fix" is in. He emailed corporate/higher ups and was assured that future superchargers will be better.
I guess Mercedes Benz and Mazda both had issues as well with IHI.

I guess the reason I keep posting about it is I would love to order one, but not for 71k and have it go back to dealership for a bad supercharger, maybe more than once. I can see 3 or 4 issues overall with superchargers, we'll call it a fluke, but way more than that,....it's not looking good. I'm not knocking the Hellcats obviously. I think they are great looking and performing cars.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
For the V, the primary issue is the isolator in the snout causing the noise and switching to a solid isolator cures the problem. However instead of screwing around, GM just decided to swap blowers. Suspect the HC issue is similar.

I did not know that.
bf3e6bb64a3957aa4d710e47afaf1ee79a2f4e6db38cbb2876d2cb6882e44985.jpg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I did a quick search on cargurus on used Hellcat Challengers, 2015 and up.
There are A LOT of them for sale. I wouldn't buy one used, but I was looking at the mileage, year and asking price for them. Just getting a feel for the trade-in value/resale value. They are asking pretty good money, even for a 2015 with about 3,000 miles and more on the clock.
I wonder why there are so many of the '15's/16's for sale though?

****One dealership in PA, I think it was, had a 2015 with 35 miles on it, Sublime Green Hellcat Challenger. Asking about 74K for it!!!! LMMFAO

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
New for $55k? Then used must be in the $40s now. Only a matter of time before they dip even more.

It varies. I see a lot in Florida/south Georgia in the low 50's for used Challenger HCs.
But those usually have under 10k miles on them. 4-5 had under 2k miles.

The dealers down here don't really advertise that they'll go to mid 50's(new) unless you know that they are desperate to move them.

Jefe

Established Member
I would order one so quick if it wasn't for the supercharger issue.
Rumor is that is being fixed right now. New bearings and better quality control at IHI. I believe it will just be a TSB if theres an issue not a recall. Way less than 1% of Hellcats have the issue BTW
Now I was reading about a other issues that kind of has me on the fence. Leaking lines, dead cylinders, etc.
There have been some coolant leaks but nothing major. I have seen less than 5 engine failures, half of which were modded cars.
issues for me is the Charger didn't get a manual option (small issue) and not sure I want a payment.
Rowing gears is fun and all but once you drive an A8 Hellcat, you will be hard pressed to go back. Plus you can still shift manually with the paddles or shifter. I shift mine manually every day and the brrraaaap from the exhaust is incredible
New for $55k? Then used must be in the $40s now. Only a matter of time before they dip even more.
Ive only seen one low mileage used Hellcat under $50K. They seem to be holding there

The problem is they made way too many. By the time 2017 production is done, there will be over 30K made. The rarest production is the 2015 Charger where they stopped production early and only made 883 in the US. Mine is 1 of 174 in Phantom TriCoat Black

Plus the Charger is more aerodynamic. 204mph vs 199 in the Challenger :)

sleek98

Established Member
Ive only seen one low mileage used Hellcat under $50K. They seem to be holding there

Depends on what you consider lower mileage, but there are 8 under 50k right now 4 of which are autos. in the 20k mile range.

In another year when warranties start to run out there will be a ton in the low 40s which make them a STEAL for the power you get.

Users who are viewing this thread