Dealer/Aftermarket Installed Glass Roof

smrtasp

Established Member
Ive been searching for a few weeks now trying to find someone who has done this. I know the parts can be ordered to do this as I have found another post from someone pricing parts out from Tousley. I just havent seen anyone actually have this done aftermarket and post about it. Its the 1 option I really wanted but given that locally I found the color and every other option plus 1500 off MSRP I couldnt pass up the deal and wait for a 2014 ordered with this 1 extra option.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hm.. I would be VERY hesitant on this mod...

Shhhh

Established Member
Ive been searching for a few weeks now trying to find someone who has done this. I know the parts can be ordered to do this as I have found another post from someone pricing parts out from Tousley. I just havent seen anyone actually have this done aftermarket and post about it. Its the 1 option I really wanted but given that locally I found the color and every other option plus 1500 off MSRP I couldnt pass up the deal and wait for a 2014 ordered with this 1 extra option.

Sell the '13 and order a '14 with the glass roof.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
^^^^^ +1

I spoke with 2 guys last year that did this mod as I wanted it for my 09 but they both ran into problems with leaks/wind noise

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^^^ +1

I spoke with 2 guys last year that did this mod as I wanted it for my 09 but they both ran into problems with leaks/wind noise

Those would be my main worries.

I would save the money and spend it on wheels, exhaust, etc.

Powermanphil

Established Member
Ever do an aftermarket sun roof? I have...so often they are fraught with leaks, noise, etc.
I can't imagine what that glass roof install would be like!

USV8PWR

Established Member
Hm.. I would be VERY hesitant on this mod...

No, no....by all means OP do it! And ruin yet another 13 Shelby. This should make the unmoletsted ones that much rarer! :banana:

Seriously though, if you really want a glass roof as others have said...sell the 13 and buy a 14. Or search around now for a 13 that's been on the lot a while. You may find a similar deal! :rockon:

2nd2none

Established Member
No leaks or wind noise here. The people some of you know that have done this mod most likely have the same kit I have that is from Classic Design Concepts and are no longer available. I've never seen/heard of anyone buying factory Ford parts and having this done. There would be a big difference. The only problem I have with my CDC roof is the extra plastic moldings are a pain to get to stay nice and flat. Im guessing my set was rolled up tight or something for awhile before the shop installed it. No one that sees my car even notices the little places where the molding isn't exactly flat but I know they're there and always see them. An old coworker has the same one on his Mustang and it came out looking great. Im betting if done with all the factory parts no one would ever know it wasn't originally built with it installed.

P.S. Damn Franz. Just noticed in your sig about having an Ariel Atom. I would sooooooo love to have one of those

smrtasp

Established Member
I've already done a descent amount to my 13 and don't really feel like pulling everything off and starting over. My thought here is that eventually some of those with the roof will need the glass replaced and assuming the roof is cut properly, it shouldn't be any different than replacing factory installed glass. Much like windshields need to be replaced from time to time, I'm sure the glass roof can suffer the same types of issues and also need replacing. I would only have this done by a well reviewed ford or Lincoln bodyshop as well. I'm not in a hurry to be the first to try this so maybe something I do after my raptor gets here and I don't need to drive the Shelby everyday.

Last edited:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
P.S. Damn Franz. Just noticed in your sig about having an Ariel Atom. I would sooooooo love to have one of those

I should have the new supercharged K24 version by this time next month! :rockon: Nothing more fun to drive on four wheels.

The Atom makes my 911 feel like I'm driving the living room couch!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I should have the new supercharged K24 version by this time next month! :rockon: Nothing more fun to drive on four wheels.

I would love to get a ride in one of those!

Husky44

Established Member
Admittedly I don't have access to a Ford shop manual, and haven't disassembled one of these cars to see exactly how it's assembled, but having looked at the parts diagrams, this wouldn't be rocket surgery. Unlike on older cars, or the reference to aftermarket sun roofs, this car was designed to have a metal roof, or a glass roof, and the parts are all available from Ford. These cars are much more "modular" in their bodywork than older designs, meaning this wouldn't be that hard to do, and unlike old sunroofs, it's not designed to be opened, so the analogy above to replacing a windshield or back glass is pretty accurate.

Looking at Tousley's online pricing, parts are going to cost you around $2600, so it may be more economical to do what others have suggested and look for a 2014 that has what you want, but doing a swap and having good fit and finish would be relatively easy. I'd even attempt it at home-the scariest part for me would be not cracking that $1500 piece of glass while setting it down somewhere in my garage.

2nd2none

Established Member

Wow. I might have to make a trip out to Peoria during San Diego Padres spring training just to give me an excuse to go check out your Atom. After seeing this video years ago I've been wanting one so bad.
Ariel Atom - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Wow. I might have to make a trip out to Peoria during San Diego Padres spring training just to give me an excuse to go check out your Atom. After seeing this video years ago I've been wanting one so bad.
Ariel Atom - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Yes, that video from Top Gear rocks. That is the previous version of the car, the Atom 2, with a supercharged Honda K20 (also was available N/A). In the US market they mainly used the GM Ecotech for a while, then moved solely to the Honda K20A for the Atom 3, which arrived in 2009. Now, Ariel has moved up to the 2.4L Honda, which makes about 40 lb ft. more than the K20 did. Once the supercharger is added it should be noticeably faster than the car from the Top Gear vid. And, it will still only weigh about 1,350-1,375 lbs! :burnout:

Come on out! I only live about 15-20 minutes from the Peoria Sports Complex where the Padres have camp. I can drive the Atom over and we can meet at In 'N Out Burger for lunch next to the ballpark.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, agreed. I just put in an order for a 14 gt500, and I'm contemplating the glass roof. Dealer tells me I have about a week to decide.......

I didn't have it on my 2013 for two reasons..

1.) I thought it would stand out too much on a white/red car.
2.) I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not.

I definitely wished I would've gotten it, which is why I ordered it on my 2014.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I didn't have it on my 2013 for two reasons..

1.) I thought it would stand out too much on a white/red car.
2.) I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not.

I definitely wished I would've gotten it, which is why I ordered it on my 2014.

+1

I ordered it on my '14 as well. Two friends here in town have the glass roof on their '13s (MyFast70 and Farmboy) and it looks absolutely amazing when you're sitting in the car! Very high-end looking.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
+1

I ordered it on my '14 as well. Two friends here in town have the glass roof on their '13s (MyFast70 and Farmboy) and it looks absolutely amazing when you're sitting in the car! Very high-end looking.

I agree. I regretted not getting it on my 2013 after seeing it on one of my friend's 5.0s.

Users who are viewing this thread