Dead even with a (turbo?) LS1 Camaro

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Last night we were driving home from the Mile High Nationals on I-25 when my buddy spotted a black SS Camaro up ahead. I was on the sticky tires with a full bottle, so I figured I'd catch him and have some fun. We got closer and I noticed a HUGE single exhaust (5"?) turned down in front of the rear bumper. There was a sticker on the back window advertising some speed shop, but we couldn't make it out. I got next to him after a couple of miles and also noticed 3 pillar gauges and something that looked like a laptop in the passenger seat. I was starting to get a little worried at this point because I know how nasty some LS1s can run and I had some extra weight in the car (luggage and two other people). I dropped into third and hopped the front end, but the driver of the Camaro (older gray-haired guy) pointed ahead as if to say, "Uh... There's traffic right up ahead." We had a little room and I just wanted to see what he had, but I think he wanted a long distance run.

Anyway, we finally got about a 1/4 mile distance from all the other cars and he pulled up next to me. I armed the spray and dropped a couple gears. He stood on it while I was still on his back bumper and I reacted as quickly as I could. He immediately pulled a car on me from the jump, but I gained it back when he shifted. It stayed that way until about 140 mph. He didn't pull me and I couldn't pull him. He seemed pretty surprised that I hung with his car. We slowed and I gave him a thumbs up. He was obviously a timid person because he wouldn't really look at me, just gave a little wave and dropped back. He followed me for another 15 minutes and pulled up on my right to let us know he was exiting. Seemed like a cool guy, but I didn't want to bug him by following, so we waved and continued home. All in all I was pretty impressed. He definitely had something going on under the hood. Our best guess was a small turbo on a low boost setting because the car was really quiet and had killer top end. :shrug:

StangJason

Established Member
Sounds like you pulled him had he not had the jump on you so good kill...er sorta. That's why I don't really like racing from a roll because their is no good way of saying go without someone getting a little bit of a head start and if you race from a light or using a flagger you both atleast have the warning from a neutral source.

Users who are viewing this thread