Dead End Jobs !

03cobramanIII

Banned
will someone tell me a list of jobs that arent dead end jobs?

auto tech is a dead end job,right :shrug: after 25 yrs im burnt.

AUSTINSCOBRA

Established Member
will someone tell me a list of jobs that arent dead end jobs?

auto tech is a dead end job,right :shrug: after 25 yrs im burnt.

Automotive suck ass right about now! It WAS promising at one point, but not anymore. After 17yrs i am ****ing done!
I'm hoping to get in something new this next couple of months. If not I will create me a job.

Have you look at any city jobs?

cthunder

Established Member
very easy to say but hard to get....

I do something that i hate almost but i have to.

No, it's completely a matter of settling... you may not like what you have to do, so why do it? Dont settle for a job just because it's great pay. There is always another job that you can do, it's just a matter of actually finding what you enjoy doing. My father is a veterinarian and loves going to work everyday, he does what he loves!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life.

not always entirely true. I am one of the lucky few that have been able to do what I love for a job. I have been a puter geek since day one. it has been a great run but the last few years it has really started to drag. I want to be able to do it as a hobby again and not as a job. eventually even the best jobs start to get old.

houstonsnakes

Established Member
I was a auto tech for 10 years,, got burnt out , so I'm with National Oilwell Varco, doing mechanic work,, not bad so far and way more money!!

stangin99

Established Member
not always entirely true. I am one of the lucky few that have been able to do what I love for a job. I have been a puter geek since day one. it has been a great run but the last few years it has really started to drag. I want to be able to do it as a hobby again and not as a job. eventually even the best jobs start to get old.

This is why I stayed away from an automotive job. Working on cars is my hobby/passion, if I did it everyday I would grow to hate coming home only to work on my own car.

tjs98gt

Established Member
ive been in the auto field for 4 years now, gunna be 23 next month. im in the repair/service side and im not happy with it. i want to move into the performance side but havent had a chance to do so yet.

starting to re-think my career choices but dont even know where to start

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I've always wanted to own my own performance shop, but I know you must work in the field for a while and get some experience under your belt. I tried working in a shop for a bit and wow, I didn't like it one bit, hard hard work with pay that wasn't the best compared to other jobs out there. Everyone of the techs I talked to who worked there said don't do this job and each and everyone said they wish they did something else. Not to say the job doesn't have its ups, but many downs to follow. I thought if i worked on everyone else's cars everyday, by the time I got home i wouldn't want to work on my own car doing performance mods. I love my hobby and decided to keep it that way. Now I am going to be in the psychology field. Plan on getting my masters now.

03cobramanIII

Banned
im a high school drop out,
grad auto mech at a voc tec school
they got me a job working on mercedes benz, my mom had one at the time
this was in june 1984 i was 19 yrs old. it was low pay then ,but grad worked my way to the highest paided guy there , in 1992 i left the dealer, to go to an indenpent mb shop. i was there another 10 yrs till the boss got into renting apts. i was left to go to another mb ind. shop where i was there for 2 yrs, till work dryed up, on comm only thats not good. i got my old bosses customer list, over 400 people. most have sold there cars or passes away now. i have about 35 great people as of 2 years ago, now i got about 10 if that many, most i have repaired so good that they dont need anythong , all the people or about 50 yrs old now. some are 80ish.
since i only know mercedes, it's hard to think to go to another car line,
all are getting pretty hard to work on now.,i nevr even pulled a FWD engind b4 and dont want to.
the dealer is out no way!!!!
i cant get to work on time for the last 20 yrs, but been lucky. cause im was the fastest ,and flagged the most time.
where i left from 2 yrs ago. im hoping that they will need me again , but looks slim, since they hired someone else under me.

i just dont know what else to do? with 9th grade educ. to far behind to get GED.

i been working at home on mbs now full time now 2 months shy of 2 years . was doing ok , but now its very slow. im 43 now

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
My dad owns an automotive machine shop and has been doing that kind of work for 30 years. He recently decided to get on with the State of Montana Department of Transportation working on the state vehicles and snowplows and is much happier. Like someone else said, try a state, city, or county job.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Look around at something different. I'm working in a field I never saw myself in and I'm fairly happy. There's bad days...but there's also good days.

O..and it pays the bills...that's the most important thing.

svt99rag

Established Member
do a job you enjoy, and are excited to go to work everyday for.
I agree, I made a big move about 8 months ago for a higher paying job with lots of potential and I am miserable. They just offered me a higher position with a 20% pay increase and I don't want it. I was much happier at my dead end job and have been thinking of going back.

Last edited:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Im working my way up to be a river pilot in the Mississippi river down here. Deckhand-Boat captain-Tugboat captain-Tug/Barge captain-then train with a pilot. I have a long way to go but 350,000 a yr is worth it. You dont even half to drive to work. A car service comes and gets you from home and brings you back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread