Dead Driver's Window

03Cobra745

Went to roll up my driver's side window today and NOTHING! I'm just hearing a clicking noise. Has anyone experienced this problem? :shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
With the door open (and key on), hold the window switch in the up position with your right hand then slam the door shut with your left hand while still holding the switch. Sounds dumb, but it usually works.

If it doesn't work, your motor is probably toast.

Last edited:

03Cobra745

Originally posted by Juiced-03
With the door open (and key on), hold the window switch in the up position with your right hand then slam the door shut with your left hand while still holding the switch. Sounds dumb, but it usually works.

Interesting, but worth a try. I'll let you know what happens.

grnenvy

Established Member
Same thing happened to mine, I took the panel off and fixed the bad connection at the connector going to the motor. It has been good for a year and a half now.

Mugger

Don't beat 'em, MUG 'em!
Established Member
That happened to me as I was leaving the dealer after fixing my drivers seat lumbar. Turned around and got a new motor for the window.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member

Did this a couple of years ago, twice, problem never came back!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'm merely an SN-95, but have seen & heard of this problem a LOT. We may have the same window motor ... it's worth checking.

After you've slammed the door (I know this has worked for several owners, but it tells me that something's wrong, somewhere), look at this article on one of my Web Pages - it may help you check the motor:

http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/wmotor.htm

Here's a photo of what causes the motor to stop, as friction builds while window is in transient:

wmot2a.jpg

There are normally plastic-type balls (bearings) under the steel gear, and when they fail, they crumble into tiny pieces, and this causes the motor to jump & skip. They can be replaced by means of a kit, or you can put steel nuts in their place.

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Many have had similar problems of stuck windows. Mine (as with many others) got stuck down on a very hot day, and I had the same clicking noise. I tried all the "slamming" solutions and nothing. Let it sit overnight, and in the morning it worked. No idea why. I had them replace my motor under warranty.

03Cobra745

Juices-03 & everyone else that offered the door slamming technique, as dumb as it sounds, IT WORKED! :-D :-D

As added info... It was a VERY HOT day and the window was open all day while I was zipping around the track. At the end of the day, it wouldn't close for the trip home with A/C.

THANKS!

I can't wait for the Ford explaination for this one! :bash:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Glad it worked bhartman!! I remember when I first bought my car 2 years ago and I left it out in the sun with the window down. It wouldn't roll up like yours so I cam on here and took the advice of another member and it worked! The window hasn't failed me since then either.

Let us know if you need anything else!

2K3BRA

Established Member
I had this problem with my 01 gt the motor would start working after like 2 hours it was weird shit. I tried the slam door but that didn't work I never fully roll my windows down in the summer while at the track lol.

03Cobra745

Does anyone know the actual cause of this problem? :??:

It would be nice to know that Ford acknowledges its existence and has a fix for it. :shrug:

Next time the Cobra is in for service, I plan on hitting my service rep with this one! :bash:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I've heard several symptoms in this thread. Mine happened on a hot day also. I came out, put the window down, and the motor kept turning. I tapped the switch and it stopped. Tried to put it up, and it traveled in short distances. Each time I tried it, the distance was shorter. Got to my garage, and lifted up gently on the glass while hitting the up button - it went all the way up.

My problem was that the plastic balls had crumbled, under the motor gear (see photo above). With the new "nuts" installed, it's fine, and saved me almost $200.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Originally posted by bhartman
Juices-03 & everyone else that offered the door slamming technique, as dumb as it sounds, IT WORKED! :-D :-D :bash:

Sometimes the things we share on here about little tricks with our cars are hilarious, like this one and the trick to get the seat belt chime to stop ringing. You gotta love these cars and this forum.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread