dead coil pack (1 full dead 2 kind of erratic when hot) what coils to get?

Darufe

Established Member
seems theres alot of animosity on various forums about granatelli products although im unsure its warranted when it comes to the newer stuff?
so stock coils in canada are about 90$ a piece but it would be silly to replace 3 and keep 5 old ones.
i can get the extreme pro series for what? 700 usd?
10kv vs 65kv im thinking with a very rich high boost application the extra voltage will be welcome.
i also plan to use water/meth

end game build will see 30 psi of boost.

thoughts?

CPRsm

Stock, tried them personally on a customers car. First coil I pulled trying to pull a pull the connection that wraps around the spark plug tore out of the coil. Called and explained, some how it was my fault. Because they went back there and tested one by pulling it on and off a plug without problem. Sent it in and they fixed anyways. Next time I pull all 8, 6 tear, and I think two broke at the electrical connection. The underside where you have to put your fingers to pull up and get them out. The connection to the plug is way too tight. It's one thing to have a problem, admit it and fix it. It's another to act like you've never heard of the problem when you call back (and they don't realize it's the same person w the same problem), and act like the only way it failed is user error.

Replace the bad oem units. Or sell me yours lol

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
wow so a big nono on granatelli...
any thoughts on aem smart coils?

I thought this was common knowledge lol. Yes Granatelli and his kid are scum bags banned from multiple forums.

Op I would stick with OEM coils. If you're set on aftermarket I would look into weapon X or MSD, weapon X coils are used on the shelby 1000 as oem btw.

Darufe

Established Member
im gonna look into weaponx coils and see the price diff. although tousley has the oems at 47$ a piece wich is a steal compared to the 90$ cad here.

8 coils and maybe some metal coil covers so i can jam some insulation underneath to protect the coils from excessive downpipe heat (theyre wrapped but i still managed to melt a bit of the original coil covers before!)

Darufe

Established Member
hopoefully this cures some of my issues. obviously will help to have 8 functioning brand new coils but really doesnt mean im not having other issues to go with it. (coil driver ignition sync injectors clogged etc etc)

fingers crossed!

beef97

Established Member
Wow I've never seen that before! I currently have the Granatelli coil packs (had to send a few of them back because when I removed them the spark plug connector separated) and wonder if that ignition booster makes much of a difference? Anyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread