dead and or draining battery issue, real gremlin found

klcmcse

Established Member
I have noticed since i put white leds in the back up lamps they are constantly on about 15-20%. this smacks of the gremlin that may be the source of the dead battery after 4-6 days, even I have a new motorcraft replacement battery, and adding a tender for a car, no way>that is for car that is in storage for 3 plus months. this is an issue, some circuit is hot and is drawing enough amps to kill off the battery and my back up LEDs are on 100% of the time even though they are not powered up to light the area behind the vehicle. I suspect that its not only my backup lamps causing these issues. design flaw or falty relay but the evidence is there. put a Vohm meter on the backup socket and see for your eyes.....
Ob

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have noticed since i put white leds in the back up lamps they are constantly on about 15-20%. this smacks of the gremlin that may be the source of the dead battery after 4-6 days, even I have a new motorcraft replacement battery, and adding a tender for a car, no way>that is for car that is in storage for 3 plus months. this is an issue, some circuit is hot and is drawing enough amps to kill off the battery and my back up LEDs are on 100% of the time even though they are not powered up to light the area behind the vehicle. I suspect that its not only my backup lamps causing these issues. design flaw or falty relay but the evidence is there. put a Vohm meter on the backup socket and see for your eyes.....
Ob

Yes, the Body Lighting Module <<(I believe it is called) can keep voltage on a socket, it is not enough to light a incandescent bulb so there is minimal voltage drain, but it is enough voltage to light an LED.

The simple fix is to install a CAN Bus LED which has a resistor built in and acts like a regular bulb in resistance, they work Great!!

Here is a link to what I have............

194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 9 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

I used CAN Bus LED's where my LED's stayed lit (when they should not be lit) and have had no problems. Super Bright LED's offers CAN Bus LED's for all of the bulb locations on our GT500's except the fogs.

As I mentioned above, the nice thing about the CAN Bus LED's.........the resistor is built into the LED circuit board so you don't have to butcher your wire harness and add resistors as with most other LED's that are on the market for sale.

I hated the "dim lit LED" look, it made my car look like it had electrical issues when it was just the LED's.

R

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
My battery just died recently too. A while back (month or so) I noticed some corrosion (which I cleaned up) as well as a low battery charge. It seemed to recharge ok but then days later it went completed dead. I replaced with a Napa premium Legend yesterday and will monitor the charge. Not sure why the recharge killed it but I'm not looking back at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread