De-tune the motor to run regular gas

BadBolt

Established Member
It's been a Looooooong time since I've been here. Glad to see things are active.

I now have a 99 Lightning with about 24k miles on it. It's pretty sweet and totally stock. I've been out of the loop for a while and have a question as to if it's possible to run a de-tune program to operate the engine on regular gas and pull a trailer.

I'm talking about a situation where premium gas is just not available or octane boosters. I would imagine the blower would need to be bypassed to a major degree.

Hope somebody can answer this one. TIA

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the factory tune should run 91 just fine, Ive never been in a situation where I couldn't find premium. If you've got a tuner you could always pull some timing and just be easy on the throttle

just fyi unless youre looking at torco or something octane boosters are usually useless. When they raise octane 4 points, it makes 87 87.4

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
When I was stock I ran 87 octane a few times due to premium not being available. You should be fine but if you are towing a trailer I would probly spend the money to add about 16oz of Torco per tank. Cheaper than getting a tune with less timing which is one other option. You could also swap your upper pulley for a larger Harley upper and probly be fine on your stock tune.

Last edited:

BadBolt

Established Member
I would like to be able to run 87 and tow. I did contact JDM Engineering and am waiting to hear back on a tuner/tune package that would allow this. I just want the option, if possible to do this.

4a7191a

Established Member
if you stayed out of the boost it wouldnt hurt it at all. low compression likey low octane, but low octane and boost done mix so well.

BadBolt

Established Member
Just got a reply from JDM. I guess these guys know enough to not try running low octane or mess with parts swapping. Crap!! :(

You cant run 87 in these trucks stock so there is no way we could offer
a tune for that. It would ping and detonate especially if you put a load on
it towing something. The tune will get you better fuel economy on 93 octane so that will help pay for itself. Plus the shift point adjustments and
throttle response will help you tow much better anyways!

JimIII

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, low octane and towing...that's already going against you and then throw in that it's made for atleast 91 octane. Hitting boost, which you will do while towing could equal new motor.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Why would 91 octane not be available? I would NOT try to run less octane. Not unless it was an emergency. And then I would stay out of boost completely.

Jim

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
LOL where are you going to be traveling for such drastic measures? The Outback? Hopefully this isn't some backwards way of trying to "save money" because these trucks and fuel mileage don't go together....especially when towing!

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Lots of places in Alaska where we are paying $5+ for 87 octane and it's 87 or nothing. I took my L up to 135mph on 87 octane while driving it here from Oregon. It was all stock with less than 3000 miles on it and under warranty so..... It held up fine with no trace of detonation or other issues. Woukd I do it again? No. Just saying the stock tune on a stock L is pretty conservative. If I had no choice I'd run 87 again in a stock L. Now I just buy Torco in 5 gallon pails and always have to optuion to add a little octane.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
well, stock tune is on the rich side on the top end. I'm sure Ford did that on purpose. Crazy thing, on my dyno tune...I had a CAI, 6lb lower, bassani mid pipe and it was running super rich. I would have thought opposite, even the tuner did too. Then the next lightning with same mods but long tubes was running super lean.

Users who are viewing this thread