DD without front sway bar?

squeak93

Established Member
You wont like it. If it were your weekend only toy id say lets pull it off this week but you drive a ton daily and cornering will suck.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I've had mine off for the past 6k and have no regret. Regardless if I'm on bigs and littles or the Brembo wheels the car handles surprisingly great with it off and I really can't tell the difference from with it on. The only thing I could see it affecting would be hard cornering agility. I take turns the same way i did with it on and the car is very controlled and stable. It does help that I have Steeda boss springs that have a high spring rate though.

casper gt

Established Member
not shure what d/d consists of for you but I haven't had a front sway bar on any mustang I've owned since the 1980's with no problems ever IMO.

while my few latest cars haven't been d/d's the early one back then were, summer, winter, etc.

bottom line? take it off & see what you think.

5bites

Established Member
My driving consists of mostly straight driving on my 60 mile round trip. I just don't want it to be a handful in case I have to dodge deer or idiot drivers.

yeager

Established Member
ive takin mine off every car ive ever owned. my last car was an 08 vette that i bought new and could still take on ramps at over 100 mph. I now have a brembo 13 auto and took it off within 500 miles of having the car. cant tell any difference as far as body roll. like everyone said though take it off and make your own opinion. i would be willing to bet you wont put it back on though!

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I was disappointed after putting on the girthier frpp front sway bar. front end didn't turn appreciably quicker.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I was disappointed after putting on the girthier frpp front sway bar. front end didn't turn appreciably quicker.

The thing with sway bars is people don't understand suspension geometry and function. A car will only handle better with an upgraded sway bar as long as the body can still role and load the tires correct. The tires also need to be capable of holding this force. An oversized sway bar can actually hurt a cars cornering ability from limiting body roll that is needed to help transfer pressure on the tires. These are the holding factors which lower from less weight transfer and now allows the tires to break away easier making the car want to slide. The suspension on these cars from the factory has been tuned very well, and some mods can have a negative affect. Also, camber will have more affect on a cars agility and quickness.to turn in. Toe is also another factor as well as caster.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
Can it just be removed or do you need a radiator support to be able to remove it? I can't remember what it looked like under there and my car is away for the Winter.

scotmach

Established Member
Thanks. I plan on removing mine and driving around on bigs and little all the time when Spring comes. But my car is a weekend car only.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
the Wikipedia article does a good job explaining. my over simple explanation is the stiffer the bar, the faster that end of the car will turn. too much of either and you can have over or under steer. for example, a lot of fwd cars have pretty bad understeer so guys add a bigger rear sway bar to make it neutral.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar#section_1

01bluesnake

Established Member
Not being cynical but if you can't tell it's not there then what is its function?

Its not that you can't tell its missing, but that car drives the same under normal dd conditions. The only time you will notice the sway bar is not there is when pushing the car hard through the corners. Don't get me wrong, I can tell mine is off when the pushing through corners, but the car is very stable and controlled and does not want to push outside on the turns to a point I want to reinstall it. If you plan to carve corners, or very high speed runs than it will benefit you from more stable weight transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread