Data logging on an 01 Cobra?

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Has anyone messed with data logging on the 01 Cobra? I would like to get a handle on why my car seems to not live up to it's potential, and maybe tweak it to allow it to do so.

Being a programmer, I am computer literate and have the toys to play with on the computer side. What would I need to buy to play with on the car side? What's the best software? What hardware would be required? Any gotcha's?

Any info or insight is appreciated. :beer:

Taz

Established Member
Ken,

If you're asking about OBDII data logging, there are a few PC-based scan tools out there that provide scan logs. I believe they all come with router adapters that connect to the diagnostic port under your dash, near the steering wheel.

The adapters supplied with the OBDII scanner software come in different flavors to interface with different systems: PWM (Ford), VPW (GM), or ISO (Chrysler and most imports). A couple scan tool vendors offer models with routers that will interface with all three for additional money.

Most of the less expensive scanners don't provide logging. The AutoTap scan tool is the benchmark PC-based OBDII scanner. The AutoTap unit provides logging, and everyone says good things about it, but it's fairly pricey. I bought Alex Peper's scan tool, which also provides logging, for less than half the price of the AutoTap, and I've had excellent results with mine.

If you're looking for the ability to alter the program in your car's PCM, you might look at something like the TwEECer. I haven't played with one of these, but I've heard they still have a way to go before all the ripples are smoothed out.

T-

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Hey Taz...thanks for the info. Yeah, I heard the same thing re: TwEECer. Do you have a website or contact info for Alex Peper?
I need to take a look at the Auto-Tap and see what all it does on the 01.

It would seem that SOMEONE would put together something where you could log and tweak in one place. But hey, I am just a programmer. ;-)

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by Ken01-Cobra
It would seem that SOMEONE would put together something where you could log and tweak in one place. But hey, I am just a programmer. ;-)

Hmmm. I wonder if there's a provision for reprogramming any of the vehicle's control modules, particularly the PCM, over the CAN bus from the OBDII diagnostic port. If there were, and we just knew the message protocol and command set, we'd be half way home. LOL

T-

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Taz
Hmmm. I wonder if there's a provision for reprogramming any of the vehicle's control modules, particularly the PCM, over the CAN bus from the OBDII diagnostic port. If there were, and we just knew the message protocol and command set, we'd be half way home. LOL

T-
Yep...there is a way. Jerry with FordChip does it I think, but he has inside information I am afraid we aren't going to get anytime soon!

Taz

Established Member
Ken,

I just stumbled over this thread on BON:

http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011177

After reading that thread, I went to Diablosport's website and found these capabilities listed for the unit:

· Improves timing and fuel curves
· Allows fine tuning adjustments to timing and fuel curves of DiabloSport tune
· Speed limiters
· Adjustable rev limiter for a broader power band
· Adjust speedometer for gear and/or tire diameter changes
· Adjust shift points in vehicles with automatic transmissions, and increase line pressure for quicker, firmer, more precise gear changes
· Ability to re-tune vehicles after factory re-flash of ECU
· Predator flash tool allows custom tuned downloads
· Multi-vehicle diagnostic tool with live data monitoring and fault code
scan/erase capabilities.

This definitely merits further investigation.

T-

P.S. Wandering around aimlessly on Diablosport's site, I spied something else that may turn out to be even more interesting - at least to me. Check this out -

http://www.diablosport.com/software.html

T-

Last edited:

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
I've asked for info from Diablo on that software. I haven't received any info back yet, but will pass along what I find out. It does look pretty interesting. :) :D

Taz

Established Member
I've asked for info from Diablo on that software. I haven't received any info back yet, but will pass along what I find out. It does look pretty interesting. :) :D

Definitely post whatever info you get. I'm very curious about that product.

Since the diagnostic port is to be eliminated from forthcoming PCM's, performance chips will soon cease to be an option. That makes the capability of tweaking the EEPROM code within the PCM even more attractive.

T-

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
This is the reply I got:

This is not end user software, it is for industry use, the price would not be attractive to a single user. We will be releasing the Predator flash programmer for the Cobra soon, it will allow you to tweak the tune, and get custom tunes loaded to the tool by dealers.

Nick Spinelli
Diablosport Sales Manager

I am going to call Nick today and see what I can find out. I may be interested in becoming part of the industry if the software is good enough. :lol1: :shrug:

Taz

Established Member
... I may be interested in becoming part of the industry if the software is good enough. :lol1: :shrug:

I might be down for that myself.

T-

Users who are viewing this thread