Data logging basics/setup?

pridemore54

Established Member
So I tried searching some of my more basic questions but either I'm using the search bar incorrectly or the search function is somewhat broken on this forum. Almost any question I have, from basic like this, to very specific, it tells me the words in my search are too common and just throws some random results at me.

Back to the main question. I've never data logged a vehicle before and I'm curious what all you guys are using. I assume there's different software's and setups out there to choose from and I'm honestly not even sure where to start looking.

I assume a good lap top, I'm guessing there's a cable that connects to the OBD port to your computer somehow? Then the software to read the data? I've seen some pretty basic looking stuff that plugs the computer into the tuner but that seems like a lot of middle man type stuff. Figured if there's a better, easier way to do it, I'd like to learn how to do it right from the start.

Also, I do have a wideband A/F ratio-boost gauge currently installed.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Get a SCT X4 (locked one will even work) and download the SCT software. Connect to OBD port and record

pridemore54

Established Member
Get a SCT X4 (locked one will even work) and download the SCT software. Connect to OBD port and record
I've got an SCT X3 I believe. I will have to double check that.

Is there a way to cut the SCT from the equation? It would be nice to make a clean setup where I can run a cable behind the dash/center console area, over to the passenger side to hook up to a lap top. Perhaps even with a small mount for it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've got an SCT X3 I believe. I will have to double check that.

Is there a way to cut the SCT from the equation? It would be nice to make a clean setup where I can run a cable behind the dash/center console area, over to the passenger side to hook up to a lap top. Perhaps even with a small mount for it.
Xcal 4 you could probably buy an extra cable to leave back there

Forscan to a laptop would work but wouldn’t log your wideband

You could also see what @decipha offers

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
If you have an SCT device, you can download SCT Livewire and datalog with that software. You should have a cable that goes from the device to the computer via USB (I think it’s an old school printer cable). I did that for a long time. The tuner will plug into the OBD2 and into the computer.

I personally use binary editor now that I tune my vehicle myself. I have a mongoose cable that goes straight to the computer from the OBD2 port.

I have a Moates quarterHorse but have never used it. I don’t like the idea of taking the computer out, cleaning the connection points, yada yada…yes, it’s a lot faster but the mongoose is just fine for me.

pridemore54

Established Member
I personally use binary editor now that I tune my vehicle myself. I have a mongoose cable that goes straight to the computer from the OBD2 port.

I have a Moates quarterHorse but have never used it. I don’t like the idea of taking the computer out, cleaning the connection points, yada yada…yes, it’s a lot faster but the mongoose is just fine for me.
This helps a lot, thank you. I'll take a look into all that stuff and see if it's the route I wanna go instead of being hooked into the SCT

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys sorry to ask but when you data log anything special to do? Car is running lean so don’t really wanted to rip on it. Trying to figure out the issue and datalog for tuners to look at it

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hey guys sorry to ask but when you data log anything special to do? Car is running lean so don’t really wanted to rip on it. Trying to figure out the issue and datalog for tuners to look at it
Talk to the tuner first. They'll have steps for you to perform.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread