Dash Removal

BCPD199

Established Member
Has anyone here had the entire dash pad out or replaced? My saga continues on the new '14 I ordered. I had two paint blems that had to be repaired and yesterday when I went to pick it up, the dash panel is damaged. Long story short, the entire dash will need to be replaced..... on a brand new car. I trust the service department where it is and the service manager said they have to remove dashboards more than you would think to service A/C blend doors and other components. He felt they could replace this and not have any rattles or damaged trim pieces afterwards.

If anybody has had one done, is it a big deal or am I worrying over nothing? Do I still go through with the purchase? I ordered this car and there's not another one available and don't know if they can get another allocation.

DashRepair1_zps0508dc45.jpg

DashRepair2_zpsb286f2fb.jpg

DashBulge1_zpsce4ecbab.jpg

Frostbit3

Established Member
Well here is my opinion on the matter,

Obviously most of the cars out there once they come off the train or truck will have a small this or that. What I think about when something like this goes on is the install of the new equipment and how my car is being treated. For example is the installer going to wear gloves? Is he/she going to sit on my seats weird and make the leather looked wrinkled and crushed, are they going to leave it outside, are they going to cover all the pieces not being worked on. It drives me nuts because 9 times out of 10 people will not treat your car like their own. With that being said I would get in writing if the installation of the new equipment does not meet your requirements then you can walk away. I've done this one time and they seemed to be on their game when it was on the line. Just my opinion of course I hope they get it the way you want.

Last edited:

Shhhh

Established Member
I have a blemish on my dash I noticed when I first picked it up. About the same size and location as well. I never mentioned it to the dealer. I've forgotten about it until I saw this thread haha.

Colleton

Established Member
I'm sure they remove and install Mustang dashes all the time. Have them fix it, I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

BCPD199

Established Member
I would get in writing if the installation of the new equipment does not meet your requirements then you can walk away. I've done this one time and they seemed to be on their game when it was on the line. Just my opinion of course I hope they get it the way you want.

Dealership has been great. I purchased my '13 from them as well. The general manager and service manager both looked at it, shook their head said "what the hell happened to this car?" The deal is in limbo until the car is fixed, inspected by me and I'm happy with the car/repair.

I'm sure they remove and install Mustang dashes all the time. Have them fix it, I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

That's how the service manager felt. Real good guy, understands how I feel and where I'm coming from; but, in the end he basically said the same thing "We remove and re-install dashes quite a lot. Not to minimize this issue; but, it's not that big a job."

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Dashes are actually pretty easy in these cars. I wouldn't sweat it. They're pretty good with them.

However, like mentioned, having them do a big job like that for a small blemish, you do risk ending up with wear on other components, time without your car, and squeaks or rattles. It is a new car, and you shouldn't have to accept blemishes, but you've got to weigh the risks.

BCPD199

Established Member
Dashes are actually pretty easy in these cars. I wouldn't sweat it. They're pretty good with them.

However, like mentioned, having them do a big job like that for a small blemish, you do risk ending up with wear on other components, time without your car, and squeaks or rattles. It is a new car, and you shouldn't have to accept blemishes, but you've got to weigh the risks.

Good to know that the dashes are pretty easy. The blemish and the way the side panel fits are pretty annoying. The big risk is, if it doesn't work out, I stay with my '13 and the dealer sells this to someone else and then they may or may not get another allocation. If this was 6 months ago, I'd probably pass altogether and just order another one; but, now with the time well into the second half of this "game", I'd like to avoid that risk, if possible.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
That looks like a manufacturing defect from the molding proces, FWIW. Still doesn't change the fact that I'd let them replace it... With one caveat: zero defects on any part of the car for any reason the next time you see it. These are the types of things they are supposed to catch during dealer prep. (Not to meantion the assembly line!). They had better use a finer toothed comb during the next inspection.

I look at this as 'strike two'.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
Man that really sucks, my dealer removed my pass airbag cover on my 08 and scratched the lower piece of the dash that is part of the entire dash. They offered to replace it for me but the service manager and I were concerned of squeaks and rattles so I chose not to have it done. I woul let them replace it and then decide, at least you still have your 13' if it doesn't work out. I sure hope they fix it and your deal goes through, I'm sure it's been a long wait to be disappointed. Good luck

BCPD199

Established Member
That looks like a manufacturing defect from the molding proces, FWIW. Still doesn't change the fact that I'd let them replace it... With one caveat: zero defects on any part of the car for any reason the next time you see it. These are the types of things they are supposed to catch during dealer prep. (Not to meantion the assembly line!). They had better use a finer toothed comb during the next inspection.

I look at this as 'strike two'.

Oh, it was caught during QC at the Ford Plant. I have another picture which shows a type of gray silicone adhesive dabbed in three places to try and hold the side panel on.

DashBulgeGlue_zpsacf5df64.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread