Dash pieces removal?

Taw

Established Member
Guys I have to replace my overdrive switch and its all one piece nowadays, no more just pop off the switch from the shifter.

So after much searching and reading am I to understand that the panel on the dash that surrounds the steering column on the dash(not the steering column cover) just pulls off?

Thanks,

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Wrap your finger behind the panel at the clear plastic for the cluster and pull straight back towards yourself. It will poop off.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Wrap your finger behind the panel at the clear plastic for the cluster and pull straight back towards yourself. It will poop off.

foe shizzle...i've done it about 30 times in the last month.

Taw

Established Member
Thanks guys,

2 days later I was able to finish installing this overdrive switch and I must say what a pain in the @ss.

Note for anyone who needs to replace their switch have a midget with hands the size of a 5 year old on standby. As well I wrapped the entire wire with black tape to help from having this happen again, the wrap they used was thin and for sure is what caused the failure.

If the all intelligent Ford engineers had just moved the connection up or down the steering column 4 inches I could do this in 15 minutes.

The good news is my Lightning is back to perfect again.

Stewie 03

Established Member
Sounds like a biatch to replace. How long did it actually take? BTW, what are the symptoms of a bad OD switch?

Taw

Established Member
Sounds like a biatch to replace. How long did it actually take? BTW, what are the symptoms of a bad OD switch?

Actual time was about 5 hours of trying to reach the connector by stuffing my hand in every way possible(and many not possible)until by luck the 2 pieces sat facing each and then a push on a thick plastic piece nearby got them almost completely together,another few minutes with some long needlenose pliers yielded success as they snapped together.

Symptoms are easy, a blown 5 amp fuse and the overdrive switch does not function. If it blows while you are out driving around with the overdrive off it will stay off till you shut the truck off, then the next time you start it the overdrive will stay on till you replace the switch.

Exdecuk

Established Member
It's much easier to remove the entire column from the truck and work with it on the bench. Just FYI.

Got the truck back and my OD switch isnt working. Can you tell me where the fuse is situated as i will try that tomorrow. If its not that then what does a new switch run to ? Only 1 key & fob too (help) :shrug:

:beer:

Martin

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Computer is on my toolbox so I don't have to go far.
laughing6-hehe.gif

Users who are viewing this thread