Dash lights went out- suggestions?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Started the car up a few days ago, and noticed my gauges are pitch black. Only the instrumentation cluster, not the fog lights, radio, ac, etc.

I read a bunch of threads on here regarding this, and it seems that the gauge has to be replaced. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to this? To pay $600 for a new gauge and to have it reprogrammed is damn assinine.

Here is the really weird part- I thought I noticed a few weeks ago the dash lights would flash a bit, off and on. I thought I was seeing things, but it did it again a few days later. Now its just totally dead. The light did seem to slowly become more dimmer and darker over the last 7 years but I would assume thats to be expected. I do not know which wires I should be checking to see if something is loose- does anyone know where the power is fed into the cluster?

Any suggestions?

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Had this same thing happen to me, dealer diagnosed it as a burnt illumination module and would replace the entire cluster. By some strange occurance, just days before I was to take it in, the illumination worked again and has ever since (touch wood).

Mine was/is under warranty so it would have only been my $100 deductible but they priced it out at $850 to replace.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Had this same thing happen to me, dealer diagnosed it as a burnt illumination module and would replace the entire cluster. By some strange occurance, just days before I was to take it in, the illumination worked again and has ever since (touch wood).

Mine was/is under warranty so it would have only been my $100 deductible but they priced it out at $850 to replace.

Thats insane, and i'm happy to hear it was of little cost for you to fix it.

Anyone have any other alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread