Dark side, hmm, well kinda

blk02edge

Established Member
Solid question. Gun to your head burn one and drive one forever, what do you choose?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
between those two it would be zl1 with zero second thought

Onelfastlride

Established Member
So how do you choose which to drive? Why own two very similar cars? Nice btw

They are all different in their own way. It’s like pets or kids, which do you choose, you don’t, you love them all in their own way.

Last edited:

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Solid question. Gun to your head burn one and drive one forever, what do you choose?

Tough question, I’d choose my 03’ Cobra that I bought new and had done 95% of the work to it. You name it, that car had it. Built motor, Maximum Motorsports K member/ coilovers......ported Eaton, Kenne Bell, single Turbo....and the list goes on. I’d let the Camaro go because it’s the newest and unfortunately replaced the Cobra when I lost it.

E1F84903-58EA-48B6-8A4B-A2EE49BFD9D1.jpeg
12F70B47-814E-45CD-952E-D9811B01121D.jpeg
535E28AF-28B7-4D51-A422-94353878898B.jpeg

Onelfastlride

Established Member
So how do you choose which to drive? Why own two very similar cars? Nice btw

Similar but very different. The ZL1 has tons of technology and is an all around car, power and handling. The ZL1 actually beats a GT350 around the track and a ZL1 1LE beats the GT350R and much more.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a snug fit.

Good amount of "newer" florida homes suck when it comes to the garage. Lucky to get 20x20' for "2" car garages.
And it's tough to find reasonable land prices down here unless you have a wetland taking over half the lot.

Way Florida is being built, it's becoming an HOA community or bust layout.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Good amount of "newer" florida homes suck when it comes to the garage. Lucky to get 20x20' for "2" car garages.
And it's tough to find reasonable land prices down here unless you have a wetland taking over half the lot.

Way Florida is being built, it's becoming an HOA community or bust layout.

Must be typical for builder track homes, it's like that here too. Our last house had a small garage. But when we custom built I fixed that :D

Civkik

Established Member
Tough question, I’d choose my 03’ Cobra that I bought new and had done 95% of the work to it. You name it, that car had it. Built motor, Maximum Motorsports K member/ coilovers......ported Eaton, Kenne Bell, single Turbo....and the list goes on. I’d let the Camaro go because it’s the newest and unfortunately replaced the Cobra when I lost it.

View attachment 1506488 View attachment 1506489 View attachment 1506490
Well I like your answer. You say you lost your cobra? What happened, or did you trade it in?

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Well I like your answer. You say you lost your cobra? What happened, or did you trade it in?

No, I had never planned to get rid of it. I lost it in an accident. I had just put the motor, trans, irs back in after upgrading everything for about the 10th time. That car was featured in 5.0 and MM&FF and competed in 5.0s KOTS.

Civkik

Established Member
No, I had never planned to get rid of it. I lost it in an accident. I had just put the motor, trans, irs back in after upgrading everything for about the 10th time. That car was featured in 5.0 and MM&FF and competed in 5.0s KOTS.
What a sad day, I would have probably cried a little

blk02edge

Established Member
To drive forever or to burn?

Lets just say id pick the zl1 to drive and just let someone else enjoy the 500 rather than burning it lol
Similar but very different. The ZL1 has tons of technology and is an all around car, power and handling. The ZL1 actually beats a GT350 around the track and a ZL1 1LE beats the GT350R and much more.
Oh I get all the ins and outs, still too similar for me to understand owning both, now if you had the 1LE and the gt500 id understand better

CobraKid04

Established Member
Awesome cars.

Few questions.

I have been thinking of getting a 13 500, but when I drove one, it felt like a wagon with that solid axle. Loved the power, but it felt like a very unrefined ride. Jmo

Can you speak on the zl1s driving characteristics? Does it put the power down better?

I saw a zl1 1LE last week in blue. It looked bad ass. Strongly considering one.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I was just like you guys until I started tracking the ZL1. You really can't find the limit of the car on the street. I'm already through my first set of tires after 4000 miles and 5 rack days (almost 300 miles on track!). Check out SCCA Track Night in America. Track Night in America

I still love the Cobra, but my new mistress has seduced me.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Awesome cars.

Few questions.

I have been thinking of getting a 13 500, but when I drove one, it felt like a wagon with that solid axle. Loved the power, but it felt like a very unrefined ride. Jmo

Can you speak on the zl1s driving characteristics? Does it put the power down better?

I saw a zl1 1LE last week in blue. It looked bad ass. Strongly considering one.

Hard for me to say because I haven’t had enough street time in the ZL1 yet. 351stang can probably answer better.

I will say this, in my opinion and from my research, with out spending a bunch of money, mods for mods you won’t get as much horsepower out of the ZL1 then you will with the GT500. The ZL1 is blower limited, 1.7L vs 2.3L GT500. It’s arguable the GT500 heads are better too. The fuel system on the ZL1 is direct injection, so to make big big power it’s big money for a new fuel system. Lucky you don’t need it for bolt on stuff. It appears much harder to tune the ZL1, less tuners, you need to jail break the auto transmission computer. And it looks like GM this didn’t leave much extra on the table to get out of the tune.

My GT500 has all aftermarket springs and rear suspension. I’ll say it sits better, handles well for a solid axle. Historically the solid axle takes more a beating more so then an IRS for drag racing.

My 1988 Saleen is unquie because it’s more raw and the sound. My 03 Cobra was unquie because it was a little more refined then the 88, just driving the irs was better then a solid axle, and with the turbo it was like jekle and hyde, calm then just crazy. My GT500 is unquie because it’s more refined, lots off easy bolt on potential, make lots of power for the stock blower, lots of unquie parts to the 13-14’.

**** and my impression is the top of the line mustang holds it value better then the top of the line camaro. One reason, Ford doesn’t give discounts on top line new mustangs. Chevy does. Reasearch the used values and you’ll see.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The ZL1 with the A10 puts down power extremely well. I’ve run a 1.72 60’ on Factory tires bone stock.

If you are building a 9 second drag car, then a GT500 or Hellcat is a better platform.

If you want a 10-11 second car with minor mods and can autocross plus road race, then pick the ZL1. People have hit 1000 rwhp, but the fuel system gets expensive unless you do meth injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread