DANG:Need Clutch Opinions for '03 Cobra....

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi Folks,

Some background: '03 Cobra w/bolt-ons ~ 475rwhp/481rwtq

Added 31535/17 Nitto DRs and went back to track last night and here's what happened on first run:

Didn't do a good burnout, left too hot, spun like a mofo in 1st and let off, shifted 2nd and......despite the engine revs climbing fast, the car was moving too slowly. I figured that it was tirespin but when I got back to the staging lanes, a buddy came over and said, "clutch, fried". It smelled awful and others were coming over to figure out whether it was my car or theirs.

Following runs had MPH that dropped by 3-4mph and after every shift, there was a distinct pause in the acceleration despite climbing RPMs(clutch slip or wheel spin). As the night went on, the MPH slowly crept back up to 116.68 from the low 113s that it ran in the 2nd and 3rd runs.

So, here are my questions:

1. Do you think the clutch is fried or just glazed over? It seems to be marginally recovering.

2. I'm considering just doing the clutch over the winter and being done with it. I'll probably go with a SPEC clutch. Since I'm going to be shooting for WELL over 500rwhp, would you recommend the STAGE3?

3. Anyone here have the STAGE3? What are you impressions?

4. How hard is it to change the clutch in the DOHC cars with T56 transmissions?

5. What about the flywheel?

Thanks guys!

Best,

MJ

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Your problem sounds like the problem i have right now with my car,i am getting the burning smell also and after my shifts there is a double grab or jolt everytime.When i first got my car it would get rubber in the first 3 gears everytime stock,now with 480Hp i cannot even get rubber in second at WOT:eek: but can still manage decent trap speeds.My dealer is going to warranty my clutch but if you go with a aftermarket clutch go with the Spec stage 2 or 3 or call D&D Performance they have a heavy duty clutch available also for the 03 cobra.Good luck!

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
Your problem sounds like the problem i have right now with my car,i am getting the burning smell also and after my shifts there is a double grab or jolt everytime.When i first got my car it would get rubber in the first 3 gears everytime stock,now with 480Hp i cannot even get rubber in second at WOT:eek: but can still manage decent trap speeds.My dealer is going to warranty my clutch but if you go with a aftermarket clutch go with the Spec stage 2 or 3 or call D&D Performance they have a heavy duty clutch available also for the 03 cobra.Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah I'm probably going to go with the SPEC STAGE3. Your description is exactly what I'm experiencing.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
OK, here's the scoop on the clutch: I just got off the phone with David from SPEC Power and he recommended the STAGE III clutch. The '03 Cobra parts have their own part numbers due to the 11" design. Here are the specs:

Part number is: SF873
Cost: $349
Stock: In stock
Misc: 500-700 miles of "around town" driving before any full power launches, have flywheel resurfaced, get an adjustable clutch cable

I ordered one and it should be here next week sometime. I'll probably put it in next weekend.

Best,

MJ

noslo50

Established Member
Hey guys,
i had the same problem and went through replacing the clutch, anyhow i think you should bolth try an adjustable cable/quadrant set-up, i got mine from steeda, i actually replaced my clutch only to have it slip again until i put in the new adjustable quadrent and cable and be sure to get the firewall adjuster for the cable as you can't really get on the clutch fork end of thed cable to well.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by noslo50
Hey guys,
i had the same problem and went through replacing the clutch, anyhow i think you should bolth try an adjustable cable/quadrant set-up, i got mine from steeda, i actually replaced my clutch only to have it slip again until i put in the new adjustable quadrent and cable and be sure to get the firewall adjuster for the cable as you can't really get on the clutch fork end of thed cable to well.

Hey,

Let me pick your brain, if I may:

1. How hard was the clutch replacement (how long did it take you, etc.)?

2. What did you replace it with?

3. Did you break it in properly?

4. Did you get the flywheel resurfaced?

5. How much power are you laying down?

Thanks,

MJ

noslo50

Established Member
Ok,
1. Took about three hours, but i have an aftermarke h-pipe, the front 02 sensors can suck to unplug with stock and pass exhaust.
2. I used a D&d motorsports kelvar disk and street strip pressure plate(they are in mm&ff).
3. yes i put over 400 miles on it as recommended, But i later found out it is the stock cable and adjuster causing the slippage and if you didn't fry yours too bad you could probably just change to and adjustable cable/quadrant and your slippage will be gone.
4. No i actually ordered a complete ford clutch/flywheel assembly and replaced the flywheel as i was told it can't be resurfaced because it is a steel insert and you can't purchase the flywheel seprately, but i could of just cleaned the old one but i had alreadt order it so i used it if yours isn't too bad you may want to just use a 3m abrasive disk(for gasket removal for clean-up).
5. Not sure on my power, no one has a dyno around me but with the clutch issue and my belt slipping i ran [email protected]> Jerry

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Re: McLeod

Originally posted by mike69440
http://www.mcleodind.com/

Experience with megga torque motors suggest this would be the way to go. Dual disc set-up if properly installed is slick.

mike 69440

Thanks but I talked with a couple of tuners as well as some customers who are making BIG hp and they all recommend the SPEC Power clutches.

I ordered a STAGEIII 11" clutch with lightweight pressure plate option (saves 6lbs of rotating mass) yesterday, it should go in next weekend.

Best,

MJ

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I never had a spec clutch, but my twin turbo motor putting out 700 ft lbs of torque took out many of clutch until I went with a mcleod dual disc. A 11" could have worked though. My main decision is that my gf has a basketball injury on her left leg and pushing a real hard clutch would cause it to hurt before too long and I didn't want her to not be able to drive. (Unlike the rest of everyone on here, I actually trust her to drive my Lightning or TT stang)

Pretty big pics if your on 56K, so I won't post them here.

http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch1.jpg
http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch2.jpg
http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch3.jpg

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
I never had a spec clutch, but my twin turbo motor putting out 700 ft lbs of torque took out many of clutch until I went with a mcleod dual disc. A 11" could have worked though. My main decision is that my gf has a basketball injury on her left leg and pushing a real hard clutch would cause it to hurt before too long and I didn't want her to not be able to drive. (Unlike the rest of everyone on here, I actually trust her to drive my Lightning or TT stang)

Pretty big pics if your on 56K, so I won't post them here.

http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch1.jpg
http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch2.jpg
http://aql.gatech.edu/staffmembers/bryon/Misc/clutch3.jpg

Another reason to not go with some aggressive single disc is I didn't want clutch chatter on something I drive in stop and go traffic.

kj385

Established Member
What is the downside to the dual disk set-up on the street? Or is more of a cost and install thing.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Originally posted by kj385
What is the downside to the dual disk set-up on the street? Or is more of a cost and install thing.

Just cost and install. Its the friendliest setup on the street for a high torque engine. After you work all the bugs out of the install.

Trader

Established Member
I have a Mcleod in my 00 Formula. I run hoosiers at the track and have 30k on the clutch. Its still grabs like it was brand new.

mike69440

Established Member
We tried to tell ya!

Other than a few buck, the only possible downside to a McLeod is a bit extra weight of the floater plate and that if not properly installed, clutch drag could make shifting hard. But set up right, there is no sweeter heavy street / Track set-up for a clutch.

Mike69440 (It really was a Kieth Black 518 Cu-In BB Wedge stroker, but no one would figure out mike69518!)

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Just ordered the Centerforce dual friction setup from Summit. The last dual friction I had on a Camaro held up well but there are so many posts on other boards about how lousy the Centerforce dual friction clutch is that I am having second thoughts about putting it in.
By the way, the flywheel is made by Skyline, not McLeod. The 2000 Cobra R flywheel is made by McLeod and the 03 Cobra flywheel is a copycat of that but made by Skyline. The flywheel can be resurfaced.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
Just cost and install. Its the friendliest setup on the street for a high torque engine. After you work all the bugs out of the install.

How's the pedal feel compared to stock? I thought about one of the dual disk setups but wanted to talk to someone who has felt one first. Since I'm stuck with a clutch cable, anything I swap in to replace the stock clutch can't be any harder to push. I still drive the car in stop and go traffic and won't tolerate killing my leg in the name of increased clamping force. Price is really no object to me as I view a clutch upgrade as a one time deal. Were you able to reuse the stock flywheel with the dual disk setup? What did your setup cost you, minus installation?

mike69440

Established Member
McLeod

Randy

Pedal will be smooth longish easy pedal effort engagement. Might slow you down a few .00 Seconds at he track but not much. More than makes up for it day to day.

I'm speaking from the Mopar end, but I expect like everything else on the Cobra the bellhousing area is tight, so to properly fit the floater plate it may be necessary to send your flywheel to Mcleod for them to recess the friction disc of the flywheel and add high strenth stud.

Better have them do this so they can shim and balace the assembly. Put it bact together the way they ship it too you and I don't see problems.

Long life and many shredded tires are in your future. When my 03 clutch pukes, I will upgrade also.

Last edited:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Re: McLeod

Originally posted by mike69440
Randy

Pedal will be smooth longish easy pedal effort engagement. Might slow you down a few .00 Seconds at he track but not much. More than makes up for it day to day.

I'm speaking from the Mopar end, but I expect like everything else on the Cobra the bellhousing area is tight, so to properly fit the floater plate it may be necessary to send your flywheel to Mcleod for them to recess the friction disc of the flywheel and add high strenth stud.

Better have them do this so they can shim and balace the assembly. Put it bact together the way they ship it too you and I don't see problems.

Long life and many shredded tires are in your future. When my 03 clutch pukes, I will upgrade also.

Still sounds good, but don't know if I can let my car stay down for so long. We'll just have to wait and see what happens when my stocker goes. I'm under suspicion it may be going now and my going to race in Nov may be the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread