Damn that GT-R is quick...

Ryan23

Established Member
Headed out to Summit Point raceway today. A good friend with a 10' GT-R dropped the invite to join him at the last NASA event of the season. His GT-R has an exhaust, tune and filters.

My car on the other hand, 3.73's, tune, SCJ TB and a JLT Intake (and other irrelevant suspension goodies).

We did two "from-a-roll" pulls, from 40-50 mph on up. I cannot hook anywhere below this speed without prodigious amounts of wheel spin. I got the jump on the first pull. Something about his trans being in auto mode. I pulled two car lengths and couldn't shake him.

Second pull, he got his trans sorted and he got the jump. It was a dead heat until somewhere in the middle of fifth when we both stepped out out of it (I started in third) :burnout: Third gear, for me, has to be feathered a bit or she'll blow the tires off. Fourth gear gave me a teeny bit of wheelspin. Temp was 50 degrees. I'm not sure what he's dynoing at but damn....she's quick.

So I need some tires (R888?) and a pulley to start with ;-)

Watch them GT-R's!

Ryan

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Common knowledge, AWD and dummy proof shifting in that ridiculous tranny= fast as hell car

If you are using the stock tires at 50 degrees you are not helping yourself at all, get some DR's or Michelin PSS then smoke him....

Ryan23

Established Member
Common knowledge, AWD and dummy proof shifting in that ridiculous tranny= fast as hell car

If you are using the stock tires at 50 degrees you are not helping yourself at all, get some DR's or Michelin PSS then smoke him....

Conditions were certainly not ideal but we figured we'd go from a roll to at least minimize the spin on my side. We're good friends and respect each others cars, it was just an opportunity we couldn't pass up :)

Ryan

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Conditions were certainly not ideal but we figured we'd go from a roll to at least minimize the spin on my side. We're good friends and respect each others cars, it was just an opportunity we couldn't pass up :)

Ryan

I hear ya on that, just adding an observation for the next time :beer:

SteveWK

Established Member
I also have a 2001 Exploder with 4wd. I'll never forget lining up with some dude in his hopped up car and putting it into 4wd low and just smoking him. :) It was funny at the time. Anyway, 4wd is hard to beat period.

Steve

662HP631TQ

Established Member
GT-R a fine alternative to the '13 GT500, unfortunately for me....NO CONVERTIBLE!!!
So from there is was a no brainer. I wanted a convertible AND IT'S CHEAPER!!
WIN WIN! Still would LOVE a GT-R Convertible!!!

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
While I completely respect the GT-R for it's performance and capability, it just doesn't do it for me at all. No visceral response for me whatsoever. The price tag, the lack of the "it" factor and the sound of that exhaust (I am a big V8 guy for life I'm afraid), I just don't ever see myself owning one. But as the OP said....Damn they're quick! Traction rules!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
While I completely respect the GT-R for it's performance and capability, it just doesn't do it for me at all. No visceral response for me whatsoever. The price tag, the lack of the "it" factor and the sound of that exhaust (I am a big V8 guy for life I'm afraid), I just don't ever see myself owning one. But as the OP said....Damn they're quick! Traction rules!

+1

Not much passion in a GT-R, but I would love to build one with about $20K in mods. Talk about an unbeatable car! (Unless you have Underground Racing money for one of their TT Gallardos w/ 1,200 AWHP of course)

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
GT-R's are beautiful. Would never want one even if I could afford it but they're beautiful and beasty

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Which is the best part of it. It doesn't scream exotic nor super car. It just looks like a fancy fast car, nothing more nothing less. YET… a lot of people are still intimidate by it. I like the way it looks (it actually grew on me, wasnt a fan of the front at all before). The price tag though fits perfectly fine with the car as its competition easily out prices it by a margin.
As much as I love v8 sounds (make the best engine sounds compared to the rest IMO) I enjoy how other car sounds. My BMW sounds nothing like a V8 but sounds very nice and beastly in its own way especially on WOT where a lot of cars sound flat. GT-R is also another great sounding car even if its not a V8.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've heard a lot of guys say they're turds from a roll but that hasn't been my experience. Friend of mine has a 10 gtr as well. When I had just a pulley/tune those were the closest races I had and I've been in a lot of runs with other cars. If I was on point during the hit I could hold him off til 140 as he was reeling me in. If he got the hit we were even and I would lose about a 1/4 car everytime I shifted. The top end.those things have is comparable to a Z. Looking forward to running him again with my added mods and posi port which should breathe better up top.

Last edited:

Ryan23

Established Member

It was my 13' that ran him. My thoughts are similar to yours. I owned an (seriously modded) R33 GT-R while I was stationed in Japan. While I can certainly appreciate the technical achievements the R35 has attained, it just doesn't "do it for me" either. If it did, I would have simply bought one instead of the Shelby. The exhaust note and the ballsy punch of the 5.8 (even off the blower) just can't be duplicated. The GT-R sounds kinda "pedestrian" and tame. It's a seriously quick car, no doubt, but I don't know, it just lacks...soul.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread