Damn! Ok guys need an opinion....

svtpolice

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Hey guys, well I finally got a chance to take her out. I was on a lonely road in "Mexico" and ran 4th gear up in the RPMs and went to go into 5th and it wasn't there.

I have been driving manual transmissions for over 20 years. So I did it again with the same result. I even let the RPMs go down a little and same thing.

So, after some research I found a few people saying that the MGW Gen2 might take care of this and just genuinely feel like a better shifter.

Thoughts?

She will never see a track or anything, just the occasional weekend drive.

Thanks

svtpolice

Established Member
Yes sir. I backed off the throttle, I found 5th normally. As soon as I was in the throttle upper Rpms,boom 5th gear lockout

5th gear lockout

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had a thread about this. I experienced lock out going from 4th to 5th. After some experimenting, I found out it was driver error. What is happening, is you are just tagging the reverse lockout, and that is the reason you are denied 5th gear. Shift cleaner, and don't "bury" the shifter "high and to the right" like you can in a 5sp car. If you do on this car, YOU WILL BE DENIED :kaboom:

einehund

Established Member
Same thing happened to me on the autobahn. WOT in 4th going into 5th and couldn't get it. It was driver error as the 4-5 shift is a different distance and angle than the 2-3 shift. You don't normally notice as you don't normally speedshift that gear combo.

svtpolice

Established Member
Same thing happened to me on the autobahn. WOT in 4th going into 5th and couldn't get it. It was driver error as the 4-5 shift is a different distance and angle than the 2-3 shift. You don't normally notice as you don't normally speedshift that gear combo.

I could see that especially given where Reverse is located in the pattern.

Thanks, Einehund

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had this happened with a not-stock shifter, but like I said it was driver error because I could duplicate it at will. When it first happened I was so mad thinking could they build a crappier transmission than this, now issues with 5th gear!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
When you say "finally got a chance to take her out," you're not talking about HYBRED are you? Maybe her presence locked you out. :poke: j/k

Seriously, though, get a CHE A-arm support bar with torque limiters. When you go WOT, your transmission body twists from the torque, therefor the shift gates aren't where you're expecting them to be. The torque limiters don't allow the transmission to twist out of position. Or you could get some solid motor mounts to accomplish the same thing.

edit:
Or you could ignore my suggestions and "defiantly" by an MGW. :poke:

Last edited:

tangermean

Established Member
I have the MGW Gen II and it happens to me constantly, my 1-2 was fixed by it thought so I guess I have that going for me...

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I get locked out of 5th gear under the same conditions also. I buy into ShelbyGT5HUN's theory that it is poor driver technique and tagging the reverse lockout. I have the stock shifter with Revan Racing upgraded bushings front and rear and I never miss or get denied 1st - 4th, just 5th most of the time at high RPMs and lifting to shift. I am not concerned enough about it to replace the shifter to see if it fixes it, since I am happy with my current shifter setup's operation under most driving conditions.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Try this. At a low speed, low rpms, the next time you shift to 5th, overstretch your selection, and tag the reverse lock out. It doesn't grind teeth or anything. Its like shifting into a blank gear, it won't let you go "up". That's the reverse lock out. Going from 4th to 5th, you need to just aim an ant's ass hair right of 3rd, and not "eight ball corner pocket" it.

svtpolice

Established Member
Going from 4th to 5th, you need to just aim an ant's ass hair right of 3rd, and not "eight ball corner pocket" it.

That brother was a great description, LOL!!!!!

And you are completely correct, She doesn't grind or anything. Just locks me out. I will shoot for 5th and not in the corner, LOL!!!

Thanks guys!!!

svtpolice

Established Member
Just wanted to thank everyone for the information.

Took her out today and left 4th at about 5800 RPMs, shifted in to 5th, but did it smooth and clean. BAM! Found it perfectly!

Thanks again guys!

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Do we have a special shifter in our car from the factory? I really like the way it feels.

fmylife

Established Member
I had a thread about this. I experienced lock out going from 4th to 5th. After some experimenting, I found out it was driver error. What is happening, is you are just tagging the reverse lockout, and that is the reason you are denied 5th gear. Shift cleaner, and don't "bury" the shifter "high and to the right" like you can in a 5sp car. If you do on this car, YOU WILL BE DENIED :kaboom:

That's what it ended up being for me. I was overshooting 5th gear and jamming it up because I wasn't paying attention.

Users who are viewing this thread