damn ac quit blowing through the vents

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
is ther a way to troubleshoot this I pulled back a little on the vaccum thing on the hvac on the dash and I hear no hiss like if it has no vaccum , where do these little hoses go under the hood , I dont know when it quit but it did
everything else works it just stopped comming out of the vents... :shrug: :cuss:

PETSNKE

Established Member
The same thing happened to me last Sunday on a 100 degree day on the way back from Gingerman Raceway in MI. I mentioned it to my buddy when he called me on my cell, he said his did the same thing the first time he tried to use his air on his '99 this year. He turned it on and off from "Vent" to "AC" about 10 times while the car was idling and it started working and it has ever since. After I got off the phone with him I tried the same thing and I'd be damned if it didn't start working. We're thinking since both of us don't use the AC (or the car) very much, either a relay or the clutch on the compressor was sticking. I'm gonna pick up a relay and replace it first since they're cheap.

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
ac blows cold it just does not come through the vents it goes up through the defroster only no floor either? when I swithc from vent to ac to floor I use to hear the vaccum hiss but now I hear nothing... :mj:

black96snake

Established Member
its a leak behind the radio I'd bet. Mine did the same thing 4 years ago. The leak will not allow enough pressure to open the valve for the regular vents. I couldn't hear it at all, one day I just couldn't get the air to come through the vents.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Mine does the same thing, only it's the heat that doesn't work correctly. The AC works great, but the heat blows out of everywhere but the vents above the HVAC controls.

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
stacy532 said:
ac blows cold it just does not come through the vents it goes up through the defroster only no floor either? when I swithc from vent to ac to floor I use to hear the vaccum hiss but now I hear nothing..

Mines doing the exact same thing right now.

So do we know how to fix this or no, it's way to hot right now for this....

hellllp....... It kinda feels like this --> :burn:

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
I found it somehow a little vaccum hard line that goes over the brake booster broke right where it goes into the rubber l connector and then into a vaccum tree on the inner fender drivers side , if you have no vaccum under your dash check this thing out ...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If that hard line is cracking or breaking, I'd get a few feet of it and replace it. Some lines do get brittle, especially if located in hot areas of the motor.

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
Dano said:
If that hard line is cracking or breaking, I'd get a few feet of it and replace it. Some lines do get brittle, especially if located in hot areas of the motor.
I think I broke it when I changed my plugs cause my arms were everywhere... :whine:

openroadracer

Dyslexic if you're honk..
Established Member
stacy532 said:
I think I broke it when I changed my plugs cause my arms were everywhere... :whine:

man, i drove around for a whole summer like that a few years back and it was the same thing that was wrong with yours. i tore my dash apart looking for the vacuum leak and it was under the hood the whole time. felt like an idiot when i was shown where the problem was. :shrug:

it happened again a few months ago after i put my tranny back in.... so it may happen again someday.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
It's the vac lines people. Now get it fixed before winter arrives. :rolleyes:

That thin black line will eventually crack especially considering that our cars are 7 years old or older and that line is living in an extremely hot environment it's only a matter of time before this issue occurs.

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
yep only yhing is the rubber fittings on the car have an area for a flared end and that autoparts stuff is straight line do they sale that tool to flare the ends?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i think my ac needs to be recharged or sumthin.
the air is real cool sometimes, and then it will get like room temp, then back to cool again. all in like a 15 second time frame

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
my girl use to call me once a week to tell me the ac went out and everytime I would check it , it got cold I guess the 96 and up ac's are possesed?.... :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread